Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Kitten seen on Rattlesnake Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18356)

GoSnow 10-11-2014 05:00 PM

Kitten seen on Rattlesnake Island

Black kitten with some white seen on lot 762 around 6:00 PM Saturday, October 11th.

Jeanzb1 10-16-2014 04:29 PM

Please keep us updated. I just hope this poor little thing wasn't just abandoned or left behind.

secondcurve 10-16-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 235127)
Please keep us updated. I just hope this poor little thing wasn't just abandoned or left behind.

Could it be a feral cat?

lakershaker 10-16-2014 10:39 PM

More than one

We are further down the island. Our neighbor said they saw a kitten a few weeks ago, and this weekend someone said a cat had a litter later in the summer. I haven't seen one myself, but sounds like there may be more than one running around. I am sure they will be well fed with the chipmunks - I just hope we don't end up with a feral cat problem like Wisconsin has...

JMR 10-21-2014 07:13 PM

Feral cats

There was a litter of feral cats on the eastern portion of Rattlesnake, I have seen them a couple of times this summer/fall, but not in recent weeks. Seem to have moved on

livenh 10-22-2014 01:30 PM

feral

Would there BE feral cats if people didn't get a cat and abandon it? That happens so frequently in this area. These will be left on an island alone all winter with no food and minimal shelter. Doesn't anyone think about trapping them and taking them to the shelter where they have a chance at getting a home?

Broken Glass 11-15-2014 08:13 AM

Black Cat

We are still on the island doing some and it is pretty cold out here this morning. I have seen a stray black cat along the waters edge twice since Thursday. As soon as the cat sees me it runs away. I have heard stories about abandonded cats on the island.

secondcurve 11-15-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Glass (Post 236471)
We are still on the island doing some and it is pretty cold out here this morning. I have seen a stray black cat along the waters edge twice since Thursday. As soon as the cat sees me it runs away. I have heard stories about abandonded cats on the island.

It's likely a feral cat. It will do just fine if left alone.

secondcurve 11-15-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livenh (Post 235377)
Would there BE feral cats if people didn't get a cat and abandon it? That happens so frequently in this area. These will be left on an island alone all winter with no food and minimal shelter. Doesn't anyone think about trapping them and taking them to the shelter where they have a chance at getting a home?

The problem is feral cats are wild animals and can't easily be domesticated.