Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Crappie question guys and gals... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17789)

Rangervx 06-29-2014 04:13 PM

Crappie question guys and gals...

Been bass fishing Winnipesaukee for over 40 years...and this year I caught Crappie...a bunch of crappie. Over the many years, I have only ever caught a few...anyone know why???

Rangervx 06-29-2014 04:37 PM

poking around (been a while since i've been on here)...what I caught were Rock Bass...again, they were everywhere...any concerns???

winni1 06-29-2014 05:38 PM

When I was younger, I could spend hours off our small fish dock catching mostly sunfish and a few smallies. Now, nothing but rock bass :(

Tackleman 07-01-2014 07:04 PM

Rock bass

Rock bass put a real hurt on sunapp lake for many years. We need to weed them out before it happens here. I would love to find some crappie towards the alton side but I think they are not around hers

MikeF-NH 07-02-2014 06:58 AM

I caught less rock bass this year than last year but I don't think thats because their numbers are dwindling. I just find that if you catch one there are MANY around that area so when I catch one, I move 100 feet up the shoreline. Not sure fisherman can have much impact on reducing rock bass populations. People have recommended tossing them up on shore when caught but most shore is privately owned and I equate that to driving my someones house and putting dead fish in their driveway. BUT yes I would like to see the rock bass gone.

I haven't caught crappie on Winni. I think there is reasonable chance that the poster mistook rock bass for crappie (i dont think they are the same table fare)

Rangervx 07-02-2014 10:08 AM

the poster was me...i corrected myself in #2 as i did a little more research...i just have never caught any 'till this year...after 40+ years fishing Winni...so i was somewhat concerned...

bt99 07-02-2014 02:27 PM

The population of Rock Bass is on the rise in the Harilla area. 5 years ago, didn't see them anywhere now they are everywhere. Now I see several schools of them when out in the kayak.

It also seems the number of smallies being caught or seen in the same area is declining.

AC2717 07-02-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bt99 (Post 227995)
The population of Rock Bass is on the rise in the Harilla area. 5 years ago, didn't see them anywhere now they are everywhere. Now I see several schools of them when out in the kayak.

It also seems the number of smallies being caught or seen in the same area is declining.

the same in Paugus bay
3 out of 4 of what I am catching is a rock bass right now off my dock and also near spinnaker cove

PaugusBayFireFighter 07-02-2014 03:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 227997)
the same in Paugus bay
3 out of 4 of what I am catching is a rock bass right now off my dock and also near spinnaker cove

We've had some rock bass but plenty of small and a few large on the north end of Paugus. Two nice smallies off the dock yesterday!

Rangervx 07-02-2014 06:39 PM

i am definitely going to "off" any that i catch from here on...they were thick off my dock...and i caught them at most of my smallmouth spots on the lake

AC2717 07-03-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 228007)
We've had some rock bass but plenty of small and a few large on the north end of Paugus. Two nice smallies off the dock yesterday!

i am coming down there this weekend!!!

PaugusBayFireFighter 07-03-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 228074)
i am coming down there this weekend!!!

Just caught another 3lber off the dock early this morning. With the pressure dropping the fish are biting. I have been using crank bait that gets attacked as soon as it hits the water.

AC2717 07-03-2014 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 228080)
Just caught another 3lber off the dock early this morning. With the pressure dropping the fish are biting. I have been using crank bait that gets attacked as soon as it hits the water.

they have been hitting the large live worms really hard the past two weeks, and I have been running a small waited minnow look alike, clear with a bright green streak from eye to end of swirl tail, so much so I have to get more of them, they are beating the crap of it

photos are the only way to prove a fisherman story lol

Rangervx 07-03-2014 11:10 AM

fish on the left is a rock bass...

AC2717 07-03-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangervx (Post 228095)
fish on the left is a rock bass...

yup, I tired to get rid of it, but my daughter would not let me
but I am teaching her why, as there are schools of 5 or so around the docks now
that is actually a lot bigger than the photo gives it credit, she had no drag on that rod, took a while to land

Rangervx 07-03-2014 11:50 AM

yeah...they are fighting little dudes for sure. you couldn't try the 'ole ..."hey ...look over there" bit????

PaugusBayFireFighter 07-03-2014 12:08 PM

Our Olde English Bulldog has acquired a taste for rock bass.

CAVU 07-20-2014 12:33 PM

I haven't fished in many years, I should start going again.. Just out of curiosity, why the hatred of the Rock Bass? Are they an invasive non native species like Milfoil?

Rangervx 07-20-2014 06:34 PM

nice PBFF!!!!!!!!!

RLW 07-20-2014 09:40 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif winni1 , I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I guess you and a few others are having fun with the Rock Fish.:)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

secondcurve 07-21-2014 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAVU (Post 229274)
I haven't fished in many years, I should start going again.. Just out of curiosity, why the hatred of the Rock Bass? Are they an invasive non native species like Milfoil?

Yes. Same idea. Too many Rock Bass and the game fish population can be crowded out. Rock Bass breed quickly and eat everything.