Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fall foliage (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13164)

Ridgefarmer63 10-06-2011 06:32 PM

Fall foliage

Anyone been up the Kangamungas lately? Thinking of heading up tomorrow and looping back around via 302 into N. Conway. Wondering how the leaves look.

Thanks

RailroadJoe 10-06-2011 07:01 PM

Be prepared for traffic. A nightmare this weekend.

upthesaukee 10-06-2011 07:10 PM

Went to Fryeburg fair today

the trip up rte 16 and over rte 153 was disappointing as far as color was concerned. Rather drab. Even the swamp maples were not particularly colorful. I am afraid that this foliage season may be a bust. :(

Newbiesaukee 10-06-2011 09:36 PM

Took 16 up to 302 west then up to Lancaster and back down I-93. Altho almost peak up toward Lancaster, colors do not seem as intense this year. The Kan is not yet peak. Even tho today was beautiful not impressed with the foliage.

Bob M 10-06-2011 10:17 PM

Fall Foliage

Today we went from Gilford, thru Meredith and Holderness and then followed 175 north to Woodstock where we had a nice Belgian waffle lunch. Then we took 112 (the Kanc) over to Conway. Overall it was a very nice day but from a color perspective it was a bust. The colors, except for green, were almost non existent. I made one mistake and that was heading to North Conway to check out the view towards the mountains from the first tee at North Conway Country Club. Looking into the sun was a distraction however I still love the view. The only heavy traffic was in the North Conway area. The traffic in and out was bumper to bumper from the lights at the intersection of 16 and 113 about 5 miles or so south of North Conway. I knew better but I still wanted to give it a try.

Greene's Basin Girl 10-07-2011 02:28 AM

The foliage is always at peak when I go to the Fryeburg Fair. Well I went today and the foliage hasn't turned yet. It is going to be late this year.

Ridgefarmer63 10-07-2011 06:51 AM

Thanks to all !

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We may delay our cruise a couple 2-3 days..

Grant 10-07-2011 08:42 AM

Wonder what impact all the rain has on the foliage.

Winnisquamguy 10-07-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 170055)
Wonder what impact all the rain has on the foliage.

I have read several reports saying the foliage is going to be very late this year. The winds we have had the last few days took some leaves down.

Rag Top Daze 10-07-2011 10:08 AM

Early holiday weekend

Columbus Day Weekend is early this year. I'm thinking the foliage in our area may starting to show nicer in a week or 2

GsChinadoll 10-07-2011 10:25 AM

To make up for the lack of color

This probably sounds silly but to enhance the colors of the foliage, pick up a pair of "blue blocker" sunglasses. Not only do they help with everyday clarity, they also enhance the foliage colors! Anything to make the trip more worthwhile. I saw some at Staples if you can't find them at other stores.

LakesRegionSpirit 10-07-2011 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On a drive over to Sculptured Rocks in Groton, through Bristol up along Newfound, saw nothing but green.

SteveA 10-08-2011 06:15 AM

NH Foliage Report

This site has been pretty good at predicting the foliage.

Just roll over the dates.

http://www.visitnh.gov/foliage/

Barbara 10-09-2011 04:45 PM

Drove up Rt 16 from Wolfeboro on 10/7. Foliage color was a bust!! Started to see some color up by Wildcat MT., but not much. our intent was to ride up through Crawford Notch to Bethlehem and then return via Franconia Notch. We changed our minds and returned home the same way we drove up. We'll try again in another week or so. This is late for way up above the Notches.

Belmont Resident 10-10-2011 09:12 AM

Really bad this year.

We just returned from a trip to our place up by Moosehead Lake in Maine.
All in all the foliage everywhere along the way was pretty unexciting. The area’s that did have color were surrounded by trees with either dead leaves of bare tree’s which were very common. Even as we worked our way south the areas with little color had large areas of trees with no leaves on them.
The traffic we expected was not encountered and we took all back roads thru Greenville on down to Newport and it was actually quite nice not to have all the frustration associated with going well below the speed limit.

SIKSUKR 10-10-2011 09:32 AM

I was in Franconia area this weekend. I would guess the foliage is about 80-85% around there but the colors are definitely muted everywhere we traveled. Drove from Plymouth to Sandwich then 109 to Castle in the Clouds. Certainly less % but also very muted colors. Stopped in Wolfeboro to watch a lot of boats waiting for dock space. Very busy. Still a beautiful weekend.:D

chattypatty 10-10-2011 02:41 PM

Leaves have a fungus

I have heard that the maples have developed a fungus that have caused the leaves to turn brown & crispy & drop off the trees early. I have it here in MA in the maples around my house. What is left of the leaves are just green. Not a good year for foliage I fear.......:(

upthesaukee 10-10-2011 04:16 PM

Amazing after a weekend

the dry weather has evidently had a positive effect on the foliage, at least in the Alton - New Durham area.

Colors are seemingly coming around quickly.

Ridgefarmer63 10-11-2011 05:48 AM

Maybe it's who you're with?

IDK. Maybe it's just who you're with on your leaf trip. Yesterday, we went from New Durham up 28/16 to the Kanga up 93 and back through 302 to NC. I've lived in NH for damn near 50 years (always wanted to say that) and I think the leaves aren't too bad this year. I thought there was good color, 75-80 % but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like a little green still mixed in so.......
As far as the muted quality, maybe a little, but sometimes I think that might be my 48 year old eyes ??

Shore Driver 10-11-2011 10:44 AM

We drove the Kanc, Bear Notch and 302 then hiked Ripley Falls on 10/9. Orange colors were less than stellar but the reds were popping, especially along the Swift. Plenty of green left. Overall its a bit early, which is hard to believe.

I noticed a huge difference from Saturday to Monday with the colors along Winnisquam.

Blue Thunder 10-11-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shore Driver (Post 170273)
I noticed a huge difference from Saturday to Monday with the colors along Winnisquam.

Same over in SW Maine. A huge difference Friday to Monday.

BT

hilltopper 10-11-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shore Driver (Post 170273)

Noticed the same thing. We went to the Sandwich Fair Saturday and Monday morning and I was amazed at how much more colorful it was Monday. Not peak, but quite a change.

RLW 10-12-2011 07:09 PM

The fungus from all the rain has done it's damage here in the Alton area also but the color is really coming to life the last few days. Like UPTHESAUKEE said going up route 11 toward New Durham and Rochester is real pretty this afternoon. Just wish the sun had been out a bit to really make them stand out.:)