Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dock spiders? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12931)

donnamatrix 08-29-2011 03:42 PM

Dock spiders?

On Saturday, while getting boat better secured for Irene's visit ... I reached out for one of the dock lines, and there was a large, dark brown and evil looking spider sitting on the line. EEEEK. I tossed some water toward it, and the spider skedaddled away and under the dock. Then later, somebody mentioned "dock spiders" to me. What are they, really?

Sal 08-29-2011 03:54 PM

I don't know what kind of spiders they are, but my experience is that they're harmless. We call 'em "boat-house spiders". They're timid and run for cover when they sense movement nearby.
They are, however, large and scary. My kids (now in their 40s)go very cautiously into the boat house. My grandchildren DO NOT.
When the weather turns cold, they come out on tho the sunny-side of the boat house siding for warmth. There, they freeze, leaving just a husk, to be swept away the following spring.
Then, we start all over again.

AB_Monterey 08-29-2011 04:05 PM

I've seen some that you could put a saddle on.

My wife is not a fan. :eek:

winnipiseogee 08-29-2011 04:54 PM

For what its worth Meredith Marina sells Dock Spider repellent. I was skeptical at first but my wife was pretty freaked about the spiders attacking the baby and carrying her off. I figured for a dew bucks it was worth taking a flier. Works amazingly well. I sprayed my dock lines and bimini and the boat has been spider free for a month now.

codeman671 08-29-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 167288)
On Saturday, while getting boat better secured for Irene's visit ... I reached out for one of the dock lines, and there was a large, dark brown and evil looking spider sitting on the line. EEEEK. I tossed some water toward it, and the spider skedaddled away and under the dock. Then later, somebody mentioned "dock spiders" to me. What are they, really?

Many are LARGE and quite aggressive. I have run-ins with them weekly. I have heard them called dock or wolf spiders.

Dave R 08-29-2011 08:17 PM

They are called fishing spiders and they can dive under water and catch small fish to eat, but I think bugs top their menu. They get huge and they give me the creeps.

Resident 2B 08-29-2011 08:34 PM

They are excellent deep-fried and served with horseradish! :)

R2B

meredith weekender 08-29-2011 08:58 PM

They are gross and a pain in the butt to deal with. Two weekends ago, I went to the boat house at dusk and saw three of them on one side. Deciding that I should get rid of them before the wife got to the boat, I found a board and started squishing them. A total of 22 spiders were exterminated that day. I feel that their friends are planning to attack me next time. Lol.

Chaos 08-29-2011 10:16 PM

I had one

1 Attachment(s)
on my hose at the dock. Went to reach for the hose and... holy #$%%! She had a nest that had about 400 little ones show up a few hours later. Yikes.

Greene's Basin Girl 08-29-2011 11:54 PM

Dock spiders have been around this area as long as I have. They have never been friends of mine. If I never saw another one again it would be fine with me. They are disgusting and scary. Just the other night I told a couple of my friends that I would rather see a snake than a dock spider. They are both creepy .but the dock spider tops my list. Nhescape is terrified of them.

TOAD 08-30-2011 04:55 AM

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/N...hingspider.htm

upthesaukee 08-30-2011 07:30 AM

Oh, I know them...

they are of the genus Arachnid Scarius Horriblium Humungous and can also be found in a nightmare, especially the night after unexpectingly seeing them on your dock the day before.:eek:

Mr. V 08-30-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 167321)
Dock spiders have been around this area as long as I have. They have never been friends of mine. If I never saw another one again it would be fine with me. They are disgusting and scary.

Taste like chicken.:liplick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZ_vI7cWAI

Rattlesnake Gal 08-30-2011 10:18 AM

Dock Spiders

If this thread wasn't enough to freak you out, here is information and photos of the Wolf and Dock Spiders.
[URL=http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/DK1033.html]Wolf and Fishing/Dock Spiders

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...DSCN1387-b.jpg

Dock spiders usually scram when you get near them. I use a stick or something in advance of putting my hands where I cannot see.

Spiders taste through their legs, so the use of certain bad tasting sprays may be useful in keeping them out of your home, something like lemon or pepper.
I haven't yet used this method, we just squish them. Yuck!!! :eek2:

Slickcraft 08-30-2011 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My wife and I have an arrangement:

If it's a snake, I take care of it which normally involves only directing it to slither out of her sight.

If is is a spider, she takes care of it.
Unless it is one of Shelob's friends as the underside of our dock has a direct connection to Middle Earth.:eek: In which case we leave it alone.

donnamatrix 08-30-2011 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone!

Wow. Thanks everyone for all this info... now I will stomp down on the dock when nearing the boat. I really dislike spiders. Surprised GBG couldn't hear my screeching when I reached for the line and saw the spider. EEEEK

Lakegeezer 08-30-2011 02:18 PM

My former Wolf and Dock Spider

1 Attachment(s)
This monster was in my boat. As you can see from the picture, it is about the size of a pine needle. Several brave souls went out to kill it, only to chicken out once seeing it. Finally, a towel was thrown over it and it was squashed.

ChocolateGypsy 08-30-2011 05:50 PM

Dock spiders are the reason I finally learned to swim...

I was one of those cling-to-the-edge kids until one day... when I glanced into the space under the floating dock and saw several hundred of those monsters hanging out under the floor boards... :eek: SWIM BABY, SWIM!!!

Greene's Basin Girl 08-31-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 167359)
Taste like chicken.:liplick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZ_vI7cWAI

That was totally disgusting. I would have quit the game!!!!

Greene's Basin Girl 08-31-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 167383)
Wow. Thanks everyone for all this info... now I will stomp down on the dock when nearing the boat. I really dislike spiders. Surprised GBG couldn't hear my screeching when I reached for the line and saw the spider. EEEEK

I think I did hear you! Dock spiders are about the only thing I don't like about the lake.

IslandRadio 08-31-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 167438)
That was totally disgusting. I would have quit the game!!!!

There must be a lot of money involved!!!! :):):):);)

JasonG 08-31-2011 05:34 PM

I dropped a 5 gallon gas tank on one once to kill it. It held the tank for a few seconds, flipped me off, then got flattened.

I saw someone get bit ones in 30 years and it was just a little red. Aside that they have crawled over my foot many a time and I didnt realize it until after.

They do suck though

NoBozo 08-31-2011 06:16 PM

Lot of Intolerance from the Nature Lovers on display here. Spiders eat the really repulsive insects that may be in your house. Earwigs, Silverfish, Ants...etc..

IF you prefer to support Those creatures, then by all means KILL every Spider you see. :look:

I look at Spiders as the Bug Police. :D NB

PS: I have heard that all dock spiders (NH) over the weight of 4 ounces must be registered with the DEM or YOU risk fines. :D :D

ChocolateGypsy 08-31-2011 09:50 PM

I swear... someday we're gonna hear someone shout...

"That spider stole my BABY!!" :eek:

ushaggerb 08-31-2011 10:33 PM

Dock Spiders may be harmless, but don't like 'em

In California we've got Black Widows - pretty much anywhere that's cool and shaded, during summer. Neighbor got bit and ended up in emergency room. He said it was pretty small.

I was bit by a Brown Recluse (Violin Spider). Never felt it, but had to go to the emergency room. Also pretty small.

Strange thing is, these little venomous spiders (Widows, Recluses) don't give me near the scare of seeing a monster dock spider at the Lake.

lake4life 09-01-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ushaggerb (Post 167516)
In California we've got Black Widows - pretty much anywhere that's cool and shaded, during summer. Neighbor got bit and ended up in emergency room. He said it was pretty small.

I was bit by a Brown Recluse (Violin Spider). Never felt it, but had to go to the emergency room. Also pretty small.

Strange thing is, these little venomous spiders (Widows, Recluses) don't give me near the scare of seeing a monster dock spider at the Lake.

We're spoiled here in New England, being at the top of the food chain. After spending a bit of time working in rural Texas, I'm happy to live in a place where I don't have to shake my boots out before stepping into them for fear of black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, etc. Next time you curse our winters, think of that side benefit. :D

LIforrelaxin 09-01-2011 02:49 PM

Come on people are we really afraid of the Dock Spiders... Sure they hide in rub bumpers, and pop out to say hi, usually as I am docking... and Well if I swim under the dock and look up, I generally see 2 or 3 or more.... Once in a while they get in the boat... and get grabbed by a leg and go for a swim... but scared of these things????? I don't think so.... Now my cousin's son, when he was 7,8,9 and welll still at 22.... can be heard from the next county when he sees one... It has ruined many good naps at the lake, and really the only reason I hate the little fuzzy devils... I have by the way purchase ear plugs which I use on a regular basis, to make sure my lazy day naps in the boat, or hammock go un-interupted, because of the Scary Dock Spiders....hell the little fuzzy devils have even been know to say high will I am napping, and I wake up with them on the seat beside me... wanting to know when I am going to bring them to a new dock for a vacation, because they are tired of the yelling, screaming and close encounters with objects meant to do them serious harm.

ushaggerb 09-01-2011 09:02 PM

Scorpion vs Dock Spider: I'll take the Dock Spider

I think you nailed it when you brought up scorpions. I'd rather see a dock spider any day than a scorpion. Spiders run, scorpions don't. Mean little guys.

Misty Blue 09-01-2011 11:46 PM

Good spiders.

Last week one of those big dock spiders ate the Chuahua. Go Spidie!!!
Misty Blue.

Mr. V 09-02-2011 01:18 AM

I suppose that one could act on a fear of dock spiders by engaging the services of an exterminator.

Only question: can poisons be used to kill dock spiders, lakeside?

Sunrise Point 09-02-2011 08:03 PM

Bug Police

I love it!

I am going to use that term the next time someone spots a dock spider at our camp and wants it gone.:laugh:

Thanks NB

Grant 09-03-2011 07:46 AM

Dock spiders = Mythical creatures. Afford them the respect they deserve.

shoppes on the bay 09-03-2011 11:01 AM

Really Scary Spiders are Radioactive

2 Attachment(s)
Here is one that is residing in the cabin of my boat - not sure of the species but i suspect he somehow has been feeding on radioactive insects maybe from the URI nuclear reactor - or maybe this just might be offspring from the one that bit Peter Parker and created Spiderman? he stays on the port side of the cabin and i on the starboard and we get along just fine :D

20mile 09-03-2011 02:04 PM

Fishing Spiders

1 Attachment(s)
The fishing spiders are quite harmless and avoid humans. They fish by anhoring their backs legs to the shore and then use their front legs to sense vibrations under the water. They then use their long fangs to harpoon small minnows and water insects. I think they are very interesting to watch but admit to most they are rather scary because of their size. Here is one of the inhabitants of my dock.

Slickcraft 09-03-2011 03:16 PM

Good for you 20mile. Yes I know that they are harmless just like all the snakes around here. While I could comfortably hold any of our local snakes, if you dropped one of those harmless fishing spiders in my lap, I would soon be about, well, 20 miles away real quick!:eek:

SAMIAM 09-03-2011 07:06 PM

Yikes,20mile...how did you get him to hang out in your hand????
I'm not scared of much,but those guys are creepy.
I've caught a 4 foot water snakes for the grandkids,picked up a 25LB snapping turtle that was in the road.....even drove a few black bears away from my dumpster.......but when it comes to those frigging dock spiders I run away like as girl :emb::emb:

Argie's Wife 09-03-2011 07:44 PM

We have huge spiders on our farmer's porch - they hang out by the light fixtures - they're about as big as my thumb. I don't mind them other than the droppings. It's like cleaning up bird poo!

http://anirishmanabroad.files.wordpr...pg?w=500&h=638

shoppes on the bay 09-03-2011 09:28 PM

Now This Is a Water Spider!

1 Attachment(s)
and this is a baby one! :eek:

Libinia emarginata

SteveA 09-04-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 167714)
Good for you 20mile. Yes I know that they are harmless just like all the snakes around here. While I could comfortably hold any of our local snakes, if you dropped one of those harmless fishing spiders in my lap, I would soon be about, well, 20 miles away real quick!:eek:

Well, with an avatar of 20th Airborne.. whose job is/was jumping out of airplanes into situations were people shoot at you! :eek:
I'd bet he isn't too afraid of too many things. :)

PS.. I'd be the same 20 miles away Slickcraft.

Scott 09-04-2011 11:30 AM

Not sure I've ever regretted opening a thread quite as much as I do for this one. I suppose the thread title should have been a clue. :emb:

Argie's Wife 09-04-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoppes on the bay (Post 167730)
and this is a baby one! :eek:

Libinia emarginata

But isn't that a type of crab? That would make it a crustacean, right? (Whereas spiders are arachnids...)

Either way.... I'm gonna be all girlie girl here and say it... "eeewwww!"

Nagigator 09-04-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 167765)
But isn't that a type of crab? That would make it a crustacean, right? (Whereas spiders are arachnids...)

A mini Alaskan King crab I was thinking when I saw that thing,.............. I agree........eeeeewwwwwwwwww:eek:

shoppes on the bay 09-04-2011 11:29 PM

spider crab......

Quote:

you are correct it is actually a Spider Crab, a small one that entered one of my eel pots that has a small entrance designed to allow eels in - the spider crabs that get in my lobster traps and the ones the seagulls scoop off the sand bars can be the size of dinner plates !

shoppes on the bay 09-04-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagigator (Post 167771)
A mini Alaskan King crab I was thinking when I saw that thing,.............. I agree........eeeeewwwwwwwwww:eek:

LOL Nagigator - we actually call these jokingly "Point Judith King Crabs" :laugh: (except for seagulls no one eats them though - i did know that one of the guys cooked one up once to see if there was edible meat in the legs, that didnt go well lol)

DeniseW 09-08-2011 02:15 PM

My kids are terrified of spiders. I think they get it from me. My husband usually pushes them out of the way but none of us will go near them. I do appreciate the fact that spiders and snakes usually get rid of the bugs and rodents but I'm not about to go thank them in person. :D

NoBozo 09-08-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseW (Post 168200)
My kids are terrified of spiders. I think they get it from me. My husband usually pushes them out of the way but none of us will go near them. I do appreciate the fact that spiders and snakes usually get rid of the bugs and rodents but I'm not about to go thank them in person. :D

Hey Denise: Welcome to the forum. :) NB

Mink Islander 09-09-2011 10:27 AM

Trivia question: what crab is considered an arachnid?

Quote:

Answer: the horse shoe crab!