Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marketplace (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Burn barrels (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29147)

bobkatfly 09-25-2023 04:21 PM

Burn barrels

Anyone have any open top 55 gal. steel barrels they'd be willing to part with or sell for use as a burn barrel? Just looking for one but might consider a couple.
Thanks

mhtranger 09-25-2023 05:11 PM

I checked on Market place and found mine.

Slickcraft 09-25-2023 06:34 PM

Wow it has been a very long time since I have heard of someone using a 55-gal barrel to burn. Maybe you are as old as me:D

Also, I can remember my grandfather using two barrels to cure ham. Stack them up, hang ham in the upper, slow smoky fire in the lower.

Alan

SAB1 09-25-2023 07:17 PM

Go to a marina or car shop. They often give them away. Bulk oil drum

tis 09-26-2023 04:25 AM

So I am curious, what will you burn?

bobkatfly 09-26-2023 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 388176)
So I am curious, what will you burn?

My wife likes to burn small brush pieces as we clear a lot. Also, I have a lot of cutoffs from sawing as we're renovating a house. Too small to be useable. Beats loading it up and taking it to the transfer station.

bobkatfly 09-26-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 388164)
Go to a marina or car shop. They often give them away. Bulk oil drum

Not sure I want to burn off the oil film on those. I would think they recycle them anyway.

tis 09-26-2023 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 388177)
My wife likes to burn small brush pieces as we clear a lot. Also, I have a lot of cutoffs from sawing as we're renovating a house. Too small to be useable. Beats loading it up and taking it to the transfer station.

Ah, ok. We do the same with the brush I cut in a big outside the house fireplace. I remember my aunt and uncle alway burned their trash in one of those. Is that still legal?

bobkatfly 09-26-2023 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 388180)
Ah, ok. We do the same with the brush I cut in a big outside the house fireplace. I remember my aunt and uncle alway burned their trash in one of those. Is that still legal?

According to local FD, metal burn barrel is ok. 55 gal is maximum. Still need a permit and a call to Carroll county dispatch before burning. Barrel needs steel mesh cover and constantly attended. We also keep a water hose nearby and don't burn when it's windy. In my opinion it's better/safer than a traditional fieldstone type fireplace as the embers are more enclosed, providing you don't overfill.

pondguy 09-26-2023 08:13 AM

We used a burn barrel back in the 60s to dispose of our thrash and we lived only 12 miles north of Boston. Don't think that would be ok today. :eek:

Biggd 09-26-2023 01:06 PM

I bought a 3pt hitch chipper for my tractor but after two years of chipping brush I sold it. I tried burning brush and chipping brush, but in the end, for me anyway, I found it easier and quicker to just load it in my pickup truck and take it to the dump. Meredith dump is less than 3 miles away from my house and they don't charge extra, over and above my 2 year dump permit, for brush or yard waste. The bigger pieces, I cut up, and save for burning in the fire pit in spring and fall.

The Real BigGuy 09-26-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 388192)
According to local FD, metal burn barrel is ok. 55 gal is maximum. Still need a permit and a call to Carroll county dispatch before burning. Barrel needs steel mesh cover and constantly attended. We also keep a water hose nearby and don't burn when it's windy. In my opinion it's better/safer than a traditional fieldstone type fireplace as the embers are more enclosed, providing you don't overfill.

Isn’t there also a “distance from any structure” requirement? I thought I read somewhere that it is something like 50ft. It was a while ago so I might be misremembering ( or I might just be old!)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bobkatfly 09-26-2023 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 388204)
I bought a 3pt hitch chipper for my tractor but after two years of chipping brush I sold it. I tried burning brush and chipping brush, but in the end, for me anyway, I found it easier and quicker to just load it in my pickup truck and take it to the dump. Meredith dump is less than 3 miles away from my house and they don't charge extra, over and above my 2 year dump permit, for brush or yard waste. The bigger pieces, I cut up, and save for burning in the fire pit in spring and fall.

Yeah, if we have a lot of brush it goes to the dump too. Smaller stuff like I mentioned goes in the barrel. Wife likes to do it. I think it's a Zen thing.

Slickcraft 09-26-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 388210)
Isn’t there also a “distance from any structure” requirement? I thought I read somewhere that it is something like 50ft. It was a while ago so I might be misremembering ( or I might just be old!)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

For a 4' diameter ring, 50 ft to any structure. For a 2' diameter ring 25 ft.