Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pirate's Story (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8796)

chipj29 10-27-2009 07:30 AM

Pirate's Story

2 Attachment(s)
At just a year old, our youngest dog Pirate was run over by a car. He had serious leg injuries, but it was nothing that surgery couldn't fix. He had pins in his left ankle, and screws in his right knee. He had some painful days, but overall it was nothing he couldn't get through. We knew the pain would always be there, so we always kept a close eye on him. As you can see in my avatar pic, he was the trouble-maker in the house. He was quite a character.

A couple weeks ago, he was running around the yard and collided with one of our other dogs. His right hip, near the tail, swelled up, and he wouldn't put any weight on his leg. A trip to the vet told us that there wasn't really anything we could do other than to let him rest. Last week, we started to worry. His hip area was really swollen, and he was in a lot of pain. We got him throuth that night, and after spending the previous days just laying down, the next morning he was up and about, with his tail wagging. It looked like Pirate was back!
Unfortunately over the weekend he was in even more pain, and he could barely get out of his doggie bed. Yesterday my wife took him to the vet, and we both knew in our hearts what the outcome was going to be. We are very sad, and we will certainly miss him. But he is without pain now. Pirate was just over 4 years old.
The first picture shows his personality, he was a HAM!! The second picture is the last one I took of him Sunday night. The kitties knew he was hurting and were trying to comfort him.

Welchmoore 10-27-2009 07:51 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, as a dog owner I know how you feel. We have a 12 year old german shepherd and have repaired knees, a hip, thyroid issues and the list goes on and on. We would do anything for our dog and she would walk thru fire if needed for us. I dread the day when her time comes. They are such loyal and loving friends and give way more than they ask for in return. It sounds like you did everything you could for Pirate.

SIKSUKR 10-27-2009 08:09 AM

Oh Chip, I thought this was going to be a happy story. So very sorry about losing Pirate. After reading this, I just found out how close to the surface my loss of putting down my Cebe 2 years ago was. Cebe was also run over by a car less than a year old and it looked all but over. Somehow she managed to live for 10 years. I need a kleenex now. So sorry.

Pineedles 10-27-2009 09:29 AM

Chip you did the right thing. I see too many pet owners struggle with that decision and opt not let their charge sleep peacefully. So sorry.

BroadHopper 10-27-2009 09:37 AM

Condolence to the family

it is difficult to put down such a young dog. Rest assure he is in peace now and not suffering from terrible pain.

I put Bette away last month. She had severe hip athiritis and reumatoid cancer. She was 12 years old. I kept her comfortable as long as I could. She loves her daily treat of Yoghound. When she started having trouble going out to do her duty. It was time. I can see Bette and Pirate chasing each other in doggie heaven. :)

mcdude 10-27-2009 09:43 AM

It was one of the most difficult things I ever did when I had to put my friend down a few years back. We know how you feel. It ain't easy. My condolences. McD

eillac@dow 10-27-2009 11:12 AM

Chip, I am so sorry for your loss. It is just so sad.

When I started reading this, I too, thought it was going to be a story with a happy ending. I was so shocked as I continued reading. Pirate sounds like he lived a good life with you in his 4 years. Sounds like he was pretty well taken care of. Making the decision you did, just proves what one will do for someone they love. Pirate is at peace.

Take care.
eillac@dow

WinnDixie 10-27-2009 01:22 PM

I will add my condolences, also. It takes me back four years ago when our sheltie got sick from what they feel was pancreatitis. It came on fast, and we spent two days trying everything...our vet during the day, the emergency place overnight...and finally had to face the heartbreak the third day, and say goodbye. You did the right and brave thing, but it is beyond hard,and so human to hold as long as possible. It is terrible pain. We were subsequently blessed with a new sheltie...a gift of God, we feel...and she has taken over the job of "life brightener". I will wish for you the same fortune, somewhere down the road. One thing is for sure: somewhere out there there is an eager heart on four paws waiting to love you.

chipj29 10-27-2009 01:34 PM

Firstly, sorry for the giant pic. When I posted it, I tried to shrink it, but got frustrated and gave up.

More importantly, thank you all for the nice words. We still have 2 more dalmatians in the family, Carrie (8) and Ace (6). And of course we still have 3 cats. Marshmellow is about 10, Boo Boo is about 7, and Quinny is a little more than a year old. In the giant picture, Boo Boo is on the pillow, and Quinny is snuggled up against Pirate. She seemed to want to hug him where he was hurting. Almost like she knew.

Thanks again.
Chip

brk-lnt 10-27-2009 05:40 PM

Sorry to hear about that. We just lost one of our Boxers, just shy of her 12th birthday, but had another a few years back that didn't quite make it to 5, so I can relate to what you went through.

It doesn't matter if they live to 4 or 40, it never seems long enough...

tis 10-27-2009 05:48 PM

I am so sorry too, I can't see to type through the blur in my eyes. It is so hard to lose a pet, they are like our kids.

Argie's Wife 10-27-2009 10:26 PM

Chip - I don't have the words to night to convey my sympathy to you and your family on the loss of Pirate. Your love for him was manifested in your post. I'm sure he will be missed and was more than loved during his time here on earth.

Hugs to you.

dpg 10-28-2009 06:15 AM

Chip - I'm also sorry to hear about your pal. It's a beautiful picture with your cat, sad. What's worse is watching them suffer just for our peace of mind that their still with us. Although a difficult decision he must of been really suffering.

jr616 10-28-2009 02:48 PM

Pirate Will be waiting for you . . .

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

DRH 10-28-2009 06:25 PM

Pirate

Very sorry, Chip. The decision you had to make is one of the hardest we pet owners will ever have to make, but you did the right thing ... for his sake. We've been there, and we know how difficult it is.

SteveA 10-28-2009 06:40 PM

Pirate

Chip,

We are very sorry for you and your family. All of us "pet people" know that someday we will be responsible to make the tough decisions about our pets.

I can remember so clearly how badly we felt when when we had to make those decisions.

Island Life 10-28-2009 07:26 PM

Thanks for the therapeutic cry. I still tear up when I think of putting our two dear dogs down 4 and 6 years ago, respectively. So sorry you and your family are going through this.

dpg 10-29-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr616 (Post 110232)
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

All I can say is oh my god!!!! Kleenex please...

chipj29 10-29-2009 06:27 AM

Thanks all.
It really wasn't a difficult decision believe it or not. We saw the pain that he was in. Once the vet told us that there was nothing we could do, we knew what we had to do. The decision...not hard. Dealing with it however is very hard. The feeling that we will never have him home again takes a while to settle in.

I was OK the other day until I got home from work. I saw the invoice from the vet, which had the words "euthanasia" and "cremation" next to the name "Pirate". And it all came back.

SIKSUKR 10-30-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 110351)
Thanks all.
I was OK the other day until I got home from work. I saw the invoice from the vet, which had the words "euthanasia" and "cremation" next to the name "Pirate". And it all came back.

Been 2 years for me and it all came back like it was yesterday with this thread Chip.I also did the cremation and took her box off the mantle last night to reflect.Very emotional still.

WinnDixie 10-30-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29

Ouch! Wish there was a better way for vets to handle that, but not sure how. When we went through it I wanted to pay right then, as I didn't want to have to go back at all, though they were very good to us. While I was writing the check a lady, with her own little dog, came up to me and quietly said "God bless you". I definitely don't "wear my religion on my sleeve", but I was very surprised by how kind and comforting that simple gesture was. I wish the same to you.

SIKSUKR 10-30-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnDixie (Post 110521)
While I was writing the check a lady, with her own little dog, came up to me and quietly said "God bless you".

We had the same experience. Walking out of the room with wet eyes, 2 customers looked right at us and knew and sadly sad "so sorry".

Ropetow 10-31-2009 09:33 PM

Chip: I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets are a major part of our lives and our families. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

jr616 11-02-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 110545)
We had the same experience. Walking out of the room with wet eyes, 2 customers looked right at us and knew and sadly sad "so sorry".

Our vet was lovely enough to let my husband pay while I was outside. We opted for burial on our land and a few days after received a beautiful Orchid plant from Flowersdirect courtesy of the vet with their sympathies. Not sure if they do this for everyone but like that they thought of us as more than just clients.

The orchid blooms all year in my bathroom (the only place the cats won't get to it.)

I think sometimes we forget that Vets are "Pet" people too!