Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Yamaha 2004 150 Outboard Problem (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26423)

WHARF RAT 10-08-2020 07:01 PM

Yamaha 2004 150 Outboard Problem

Ok...first post!!! here we go !One of the reasons i joined this Forum was because it was the only location where i found a description of a problem that i have been experiencing with my Yamaha engine. I have a 20ft Century -modest boat-(Yamaha 150 engine 2004 300 plus hours) that i bought in the Spring of this year. I live on the coast of Central New Jersey (joke there somewhere) and primarily do inshore fishing....the issue that began to occur about 2 months ago is when i am riding up a wake (on ocean) and come down from the wake....when the boat impacts the water the engine (boggs down) losses power.... does not stall and then picks right back up and i am able to motor again. This happens (bogging down) when boat's bow is up and i am trying to get back up to plane after the initial impact coming down the other side of wake. This does not happen in flat water.... engine runs fine. I have done some simple things (replaced fuel filter, plugs, coil pack) checked basic battery connections and those seem fine. I took out of the water and boat is at Marine mechanic but was wondering if anyone else had a similar occurrence which i can direct mechanic to focus in....hope fellow boaters well up north !! Thanks for any input

TheTimeTraveler 10-08-2020 09:17 PM

Welcome to the Winnipesaukee Forum and your first post!

ishoot308 10-09-2020 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHARF RAT (Post 344807)
Ok...first post!!! here we go !One of the reasons i joined this Forum was because it was the only location where i found a description of a problem that i have been experiencing with my Yamaha engine. I have a 20ft Century -modest boat-(Yamaha 150 engine 2004 300 plus hours) that i bought in the Spring of this year. I live on the coast of Central New Jersey (joke there somewhere) and primarily do inshore fishing....the issue that began to occur about 2 months ago is when i am riding up a wake (on ocean) and come down from the wake....when the boat impacts the water the engine (boggs down) losses power.... does not stall and then picks right back up and i am able to motor again. This happens (bogging down) when boat's bow is up and i am trying to get back up to plane after the initial impact coming down the other side of wake. This does not happen in flat water.... engine runs fine. I have done some simple things (replaced fuel filter, plugs, coil pack) checked basic battery connections and those seem fine. I took out of the water and boat is at Marine mechanic but was wondering if anyone else had a similar occurrence which i can direct mechanic to focus in....hope fellow boaters well up north !! Thanks for any input

Do you have a secondary fuel / water filter? If you do and have not checked and replaced, that would be my first step. Cheap and easy fix if it’s that.

Good luck and welcome!

Dam

WHARF RAT 10-09-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 344820)
Do you have a secondary fuel / water filter? If you do and have not checked and replaced, that would be my first step. Cheap and easy fix if it’s that.

Good luck and welcome!

Dam

Hey Thank you for that. I had someone else suggest the same thing. I don't know all that much but i always thought this was a fuel related issue....thanks again...hopefully will hear back next week...r

Dave R 10-10-2020 12:01 PM

Is the engine fuel injected or carbureted?

WHARF RAT 10-10-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 344899)
Is the engine fuel injected or carbureted?

Injected Dave R!

Dave R 10-12-2020 03:11 PM

My guess, like others, is also fuel delivery, might be an issue in the fuel pickup in the tank. If you can rig a 6 gallon tank as a fuel supply and test it, you'll know if the problem is in the engine or the in the fuel tank/lines.