Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   2015 Hummingbirds (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19114)

beaner 05-06-2015 08:15 AM

2015 Hummingbirds

After a brutal winter and a late spring, we're finally having warm, sunny weather. Any hummingbird sightings yet?

Nagigator 05-06-2015 10:04 AM

spotted yesterday

Saw the male at my feeder yesterday down here in North Central Mass. Have they made it up north yet?

jetlag100 05-06-2015 12:05 PM

Humming Birds

Cleaned and ready....we'll see if any show up!

hilltopper 05-06-2015 01:54 PM

They're back...

In Meredith we had our first visitor, a male, Wednesday evening (May 4th). My feeders were cleaned and ready but not yet up as May 5th was the earliest we'd ever had them arrive (with May 8th or 9th being the average). So I got the feeders up and yesterday evening had a male and female frequenting both of the feeders. They're back!

upthesaukee 05-06-2015 03:45 PM

Our feeders got put out on Monday, May 4th, in the morning. Had a male at the feeder by supper time. They are creatures of habit. We usually have humminbirds by Mother's day, so it was a little early this year. Location: west side of Alton Bay, just above the lake, and outside Sandy Point.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

gnemiccolo 05-07-2015 11:53 AM

hummers

Put my feeders up Monday here in Loudon, had a male and female that day. put up second feeder now

riverat 05-07-2015 06:06 PM

Had a juvenile feeding today, located halfway between the circle and Johnson's in Alton

beaner 05-08-2015 03:22 PM

hummers are in Wboro

We put the feeder out Wed evening. We were away Thursday & most of Friday, but this afternoon, we had a very hungry male!

inquiring one 05-10-2015 06:18 AM

Wednesday the 6th was the first sighting I had of the hummingbirds this year in Moultonboro.

http://www.audubon.org/bird-family/h...oxtxoCBNzw_wcB

http://animals.pawnation.com/detect-...bird-5599.html

Misha888 05-12-2015 07:30 AM

Sunday was my first sighting . . .

1 Attachment(s)
on Varney Point. We don't use feeders but natural plantings. The hummingbird came right to the door (glass) and looked at me through it and flitted off.

I think it's time to plant. They love the plant that is in the picture.

Note: Photo from last year.

Slickcraft 05-12-2015 09:41 AM

A pair showed up on Welch on the 10th. Still have not seen the 2nd pair that is usually there, no fighting at the feeder yet.

Grove84 05-12-2015 11:35 AM

Hummingbirds and Plants

Misha what are the plants in your photo that are attracting the hummingbirds? I would prefer to plan them then hanging the feeders. What does the group suggest for the best food if feeders are used?

beaner 05-12-2015 01:34 PM

Hummingbird "nectar" recipe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grove84 (Post 244733)
What does the group suggest for the best food if feeders are used?

The "nectar" recipe I use makes exactly enough to fill an empty 1.75L "Simply Orange" juice bottle:

Place 2 cups of regular table sugar (granulated) and 7-1/2 cups of water in a large saucepan; stir together and heat until it just begins to boil. Remove from the heat and refrigerate. (It will keep in the refridge for a few weeks).

The goal of heating it just to the boiling point is to kill any mold spores in the sugar. You don't want to cook it beyond that point. Also, don't add food coloring; just tie a red ribbon to the feeder and they'll find it.

Finally, for the health & happiness of the birds, it's important to clean the feeder frequently - dump out any uneaten nectar and wash the feeder in warm, soapy water every 3 days if the weather is very warm.

NewHaHagirl 05-12-2015 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 10682
Took this a few minutes ago looking east over Sleepers Island. We have quite a few hummingbirds too!

Misha888 05-12-2015 11:36 PM

They are . . .

2 Attachment(s)
Lantana camara. They are attracted to the orange/red ones best. Also, best if you keep them in pots. They say they can be evasive . . . can't be anymore evasive than our neighbors bamboo, but better to be safe than sorry. The plants not good for cows either. "Hay" you, never know who's reading this. :laugh:

We have Lupines and they appear to like the petunia in the hanging boxes. Whatever hanging plants we put up they seem to like. The purple dancing ladies is one of the plants we had last year and they loved it too. I think it is a fuchsia. I can't remember all the other flowers because there are so many. I think I hit on all the hummingbird attractors. And the other photo, I'm drawing a blank but they love them.

Being that we live here year round, it's easier to maintain the flowers. It's a daily ritual that I enjoy. The hummingbirds just float right in front of you and off they go for a drink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grove84 (Post 244733)
Misha what are the plants in your photo that are attracting the hummingbirds? I would prefer to plan them then hanging the feeders. What does the group suggest for the best food if feeders are used?

Barney Bear 05-13-2015 08:32 AM

Return to Paradise

We opened our cottage on East Bear Island to begin our forty-eighth season at this wonderful location. Our hummingbird feeder was put out on Friday, and our first visitors arrived on Sunday. It is great to welcome them "home".

minni on winni 06-04-2015 07:58 AM

Has anyone been seeing hummingbirds lately?
We were seeing them frequently at the feeders . then last week and this week not at all.
We clean our feeders every 3 days warm weather and every 5 days in the cooler weather
Miss seeing them. Anyone else experiencing this?:confused:

dave603 06-04-2015 10:31 AM

They are here in Nashua. hitting the feeder hard too!

hilltopper 06-04-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minni on winni (Post 246152)
Has anyone been seeing hummingbirds lately?
We were seeing them frequently at the feeders . then last week and this week not at all.
We clean our feeders every 3 days warm weather and every 5 days in the cooler weather
Miss seeing them. Anyone else experiencing this?:confused:

I've found this to be pretty common this time of year. My assumption is they're busy nest building and breeding and raising their young. I am seeing them now and then but not like earlier. Once the young of the year are big enough to fly they'll be all over the place.

Greene's Basin Girl 06-04-2015 01:01 PM

There was one just at my feeder in Moultonborough.

minni on winni 06-04-2015 07:35 PM

Will keep a sharp eye here in Meredith bay. Thanks everyone for your replies. Will keep the feeders at the ready!!!! :)

JTA 06-04-2015 10:13 PM

The birds may be on other flowers. I wasn't seeing birds much on my feeder but then noticed they were all over my blueberries.

upthesaukee 06-05-2015 07:18 AM

We still have ours coming several times per day. Alton Bay

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Newbiesaukee 06-06-2015 05:22 PM

I have three regulars and hey continue to visit, eat and just hang out on hanger at the top of the feeder.

Misha888 06-08-2015 11:58 AM

Hummingbird Moth . . .

1 Attachment(s)
I know, not exactly a hummingbird but I saw my first one EVER this past weekend. Who knew? Apparently not me.

noreast 06-12-2015 06:10 PM

If you plant butterfly bushes you will see many of the moths. They are really pretty but a little scary at first. It's a BIG BUG.:eek:

Misha888 06-13-2015 12:17 PM

Our home . . .

is a yard of flowers and bushes for butterflies and birds. Very first time ever have I seen them. Still fascinated. Haven't seen another since this one. Better get out there and look. Beauty day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 246728)
If you plant butterfly bushes you will see many of the moths. They are really pretty but a little scary at first. It's a BIG BUG.:eek:

hilltopper 09-01-2015 04:29 PM

Headed south?

Bunch of activity at the feeders on Saturday as there has been the past few weeks. Sunday, Monday, and today, nothing. Anyone still seeing any?

Newbiesaukee 09-01-2015 04:55 PM

One at my feeder today.

hilltopper 09-02-2015 06:33 AM

Yeah, go figure. About a half hour after I posted I had a couple at the feeder. I guess they're sticking around for a few more days.

minni on winni 09-02-2015 09:13 AM

I saw a few this am in the flowers and one at the feeder. We are in Meredith bay.
I have seen them in previous years as late as the 18th of September! Love seeing them!:D

barefootbay 09-02-2015 02:43 PM

Still have a couple in Wolfeboro. Expect them to be gone any day. Do they gather in large groups anywhere before the migration like other birds do ?

Airedale1 09-03-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha888 (Post 246406)
I know, not exactly a hummingbird but I saw my first one EVER this past weekend. Who knew? Apparently not me.

Great capture Misha! That is a Hummingbird Moth, Hemaris thysbe

beaner 09-16-2015 10:42 PM

Still seeing them in Wolfeboro

We had one at the feeder at about noon today. Maybe they are enjoying this sunny, warm late summer weather as much as we are!

SteveA 09-17-2015 08:23 AM

A few from this summer

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 11027

Attachment 11028

As of this morning our pair is still here and active at the feeder.

It's pretty hard to "stop" the wings for photos due to the very fast wing speed. I use a flash, and that helps a little.

Male and female hummingbirds can be identified simply based on the color of their feathers. Male hummingbirds have bright feathers to attract females and to deter males by expressing their dominance. A patch of brightly-colored feathers on the necks of males is known as a gorget. A gorget's color range includes red, purple, orange, blue and pink. When hit with sunlight, the gorget will glisten due to refraction, or the bending of sunlight against the different-sized feathers. Males can make the gorget appear to be black to avoid attracting predators.

Unlike males, female hummingbirds have no bright feathers to display. Females are often brown or dull green in color.

cessnaair 09-28-2015 02:10 PM

One of my better Hummingbird photos

1 Attachment(s)
Taken on Rattlesnake

Island Girl 09-28-2015 06:55 PM

Great picture, cessnaair

I love watching the hummingbirds hover.

Marauder 09-28-2015 08:06 PM

Hummingbirds gone!

Our hummingbirds have been gone for several days now here on Meredith Bay. Sad to see them leave!:(

Rattlesnake Gal 09-29-2015 08:50 AM

My Hummers

I believe that my two left the area a couple weeks ago. I seem to be getting passer bys now.

SteveA and Cessnaair, beautiful captures! :D