Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Unmarked Marine Patrol Boat??? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17501)

jazzman 05-13-2014 09:48 AM

Unmarked Marine Patrol Boat???

Does anyone know if Marine Patrol has an unmarked boat? There has been a white ~22 foot deep-v with a big outboard on it (no markings), cruising brickyard cove and chestnut cove for 2 days now. Big radio antenna and the guy driving has a white shirt with one of those c02 vests on. He must have blown through 50 gallons of gas yesterday. I can't imagine what he's looking for.

Rusty 05-13-2014 10:04 AM

Take picture of it and let us look at it.

MAXUM 05-13-2014 11:08 AM

I saw a similar boat come by real slow on Saturday late afternoon, looked like he was checking out my mooring for a minute... Side of the boat had "Survey Crew" on it. Not sure what he was up to but continued on down the shore real close and real slow. I was wondering if it was somebody from the town or possibly DES? Did not look like anyone from MP.

steve c 05-13-2014 11:20 AM

I saw them using a dark color dual engine jet boat, +/- 16 ft, 3 or 4 years ago but havent seen it since

Seaplane Pilot 05-13-2014 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's probably the Russian Secret Service advance team preparing for Putin's vacation stay. :coolsm:

MikeF-NH 05-13-2014 12:40 PM

I know Fish and Game has a white donzi (but think it has twin 250s on it) that is docked up in 19 Mile bay but F&G wouldn't be wearing a white shirt. There is a Fish and Game sticker on the bow but its only about the size of my hand...very low key.

AC2717 05-13-2014 01:09 PM

Fish & Game

they have a nice white hulled, center console with a dark canvas top with two dark outboards about 21-23 feet long. They came up to us last year almost a year ago today and reviewed our fishing licenses. we noticed them a couple 1000 feet away staying in place, they were observing fishermen and making sure they were in compliance

WINNOCTURN 05-13-2014 01:44 PM

All the way from Kentucky

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 224620)
I saw a similar boat come by real slow on Saturday late afternoon, looked like he was checking out my mooring for a minute... Side of the boat had "Survey Crew" on it. Not sure what he was up to but continued on down the shore real close and real slow. I was wondering if it was somebody from the town or possibly DES? Did not look like anyone from MP.

Boat went in at Center Harbor Saturday morning, was there sharing a Sesame bagel with my Greyhound, its a Saturday Thing. There were 2 people on board and a lot of electronic gear , 2 or 3 big screens, on the console .

They pulled it out late Sunday afternoon. Just happened to be there again this time with my wife having an Ice Cream from Red Hill Dairy.

The interesting thing was the Big Ford Pickup tow vehicle had Kentucky plates on it, same on boat registration "KY".

ishoot308 05-13-2014 01:56 PM

Mapping??

Probably a mapping boat similar to what Garmin was doing last year...

Dan

MAXUM 05-13-2014 04:56 PM

Huh, that's good to know. It had crossed my mind that these guys could be up to no good too. Just rather odd to see a boat that close to shore going that slow. Hate to think the worst, but these days you just never know.

I understand the MP also has some wave runners too. Hey I'm all for them using whatever cover is necessary to bust some of the captain bone heads that are out and about on the lake.

jazzman 05-14-2014 09:20 AM

The boat I saw was white with a single 200+ outboard. No markings of any kind. It looked like it was in need of a bottom paint job. The odd thing is it circled brickyard cove and chestnut cove continuously. It must have passed my house 10-12 times on Monday. Sometimes very slow and sometimes up on a plane.

Note it does turn out that those 2 coves border the Bahre place. It doesn't seem like a very good time of the year for someone who thinks they need on the water security to be staying there.

I only saw it once Tuesday.

Maybe I've been reading too many David Baldacci books :-)

Buoy #67 05-15-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 224635)
Probably a mapping boat similar to what Garmin was doing last year...

Dan

We did see the Garmin boat many times last year, mapping the lake. Have not seen it at all this year.

Just Sold 05-15-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buoy #67 (Post 224782)
We did see the Garmin boat many times last year, mapping the lake. Have not seen it at all this year.

Garmin finished up here and released a new version with Winnipesaukee and 17,000+ U.S. lakes, rivers and reservoirs Priced at $149.99 and $199.99 (2 versions.)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...5-c513-p1.html

Bizer is a better deal in my opinion.

VitaBene 05-15-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Sold (Post 224794)
Garmin finished up here and released a new version with Winnipesaukee and 17,000+ U.S. lakes, rivers and reservoirs Priced at $149.99 and $199.99 (2 versions.)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...5-c513-p1.html

Bizer is a better deal in my opinion.

Garmin used to have a 10 Winni only version... I wonder if they will update and still offer that. I certainly don't need 17000 lakes in my GPS!

Lakegeezer 05-15-2014 02:42 PM

Looking for a review

Has anyone tried out the new Garmin maps. The $150 version of the map can be had for $50, pre-installed on a new GPS unit. The $200 version cannot - so you have to pay full price. However, the promise of being able to see shaded topography of the bottom may be worth shelling out the extra money.

I'm ogling over the Garmin EchoMap 50DV - which has their new DownVu sonar technology, in addition to supporting the new GPS maps. The marketing pictures make it seem that you can identify the leaves on under-water weeds, which for a milfoil seeker like me, is perfect. However, I'd rather not spend $549+ until I see it in action.

Just Sold 05-15-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 224795)
Garmin used to have a 10 Winni only version... I wonder if they will update and still offer that. I certainly don't need 17000 lakes in my GPS!

Nope the old $10 version is gone. Have to pay for all that survey time and equipment and buy the new version.

Island Life 05-21-2014 05:29 AM

The same boat marked "Survey Crew" visited my place on Round Island several times yesterday throughout the day. He approached the dock but turned around when he saw me. He spent a lot of time circling some big rocks. I assumed he was mapping them. Not sure why he returned several times, but perhaps he thought different lighting conditions would reveal more rocks.

pjard 05-21-2014 05:49 AM

AC2717 is correct

AC2717 is totally correct in the description of the boat. I had the pleasure of meeting them Sunday afternoon right off Varney Point. There is not a single mark on the boat. They stopped me and checked my live well and measured the lenght of the fish we had (every was legal or course). Nice guys and no problems at all but it is indeed "unmarked".

Orion 05-21-2014 08:15 AM

saw same boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzman (Post 224610)
Does anyone know if Marine Patrol has an unmarked boat? There has been a white ~22 foot deep-v with a big outboard on it (no markings), cruising brickyard cove and chestnut cove for 2 days now. Big radio antenna and the guy driving has a white shirt with one of those c02 vests on. He must have blown through 50 gallons of gas yesterday. I can't imagine what he's looking for.

Jazzman, I've seen the same boat you're talking about cruising repeatedly in front of our cove on NE Cow Island. He drives very erratically like he's following a contour line or something. It's a 19-20' aluminum Crestiner deep fishing boat, with a big 8' white (what looks like) VHF antenna on right stern and a white Evinrude outboard. He's been by the same area at least four times over the past week or so. No official markings. Not marine patrol nor fish & game and appears to be watching a device on his dash or something.