Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Some Holiday Fun - The NH Left-hand turn (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29270)

Fred W 12-26-2023 10:04 AM

Some Holiday Fun - The NH Left-hand turn

Since coming back to NH, something clearly has changed. It took me a while, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

The Left-hand turn learned in Driver's School
(1) Put-on flasher
(2) Pull to the Left side of the road without touching the solid line
(3) Come to a complete stop if there are oncoming cars
(4) Make the Left

How to perform a left-hand turn in NH only
(1) Pull far to the Right side of the road - if there's a solid line, ignore it
(2) Come to a complete stop if there are oncoming cars.
(3) Put-on flasher (Better: Wait as long as possible to do this. Best: Don't use it - best to keep them guessing!)
(4) Make the Left

Merrymeeting 12-26-2023 10:12 AM

Flasher?!! I believe you meant to say blinkah.

Rvbuddy 12-26-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred W (Post 390168)
Since coming back to NH, something clearly has changed. It took me a while, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

The Left-hand turn learned in Driver's School

(1) Put-on flasher

(2) Pull to the Left side of the road without touching the solid line

(3) Come to a complete stop if there are oncoming cars

(4) Make the Left

How to perform a left-hand turn in NH only

(1) Pull far to the Right side of the road - if there's a solid line, ignore it

(2) Come to a complete stop if there are oncoming cars.

(3) Put-on flasher (Better: Wait as long as possible to do this. Best: Don't use it - best to keep them guessing!)

(4) Make the Left

Left Turn on flashing yellow
( 1 ) OK with oncoming traffic
( 2 ) Largest vehicle has ROW
( 3 ) Avoid eye contact. Reading I Phone assures ROW
( 4 ) Flashers not required. Use middle finger to indicate direction.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 12-26-2023 10:33 AM

Blinkah vs Flashah

Blinkah vs Flashah? Sahmantics, Sahmantics, Sahmantics!!!!

Dave

John Mercier 12-26-2023 11:22 AM

I always thought the flashah, was the guy in the raincoat that stood on the corner waiting for the red light then ran out and opened the raincoat to show his birthday suit.

steve-on-mark 12-26-2023 11:55 AM

you guys are morons....everyone knows that a blinkah is on vehicles, but a flasha is on Rudolph the red nosed reindeer's face !

Descant 12-26-2023 12:33 PM

Driver's School?

This all sounds like Rockingham County, not the rest of NH. But a good reminder to clean up our habits as we enter the season of ice and snow.

Driver's School? Didn't we all learn to drive as part of 4-H tractor training?

"Blinkah's"? I remember hand signals, but only for left turns, since nobody would pass on the right as they would fall off the edge of the road.

I recall when folks south of Rockingham County got a license that was "Restricted to Automatic Transmission" because they couldn't manage a clutch. (If you can't manage a clutch, you start and stop/stall too quickly and the contents of the Honey Wagon will slop over the ends and sides.)

I'm sure other experienced NH drivers have their own tips.

Garcia 12-26-2023 06:35 PM

I live in a small town and drive an old beat-up truck. My daughter always scolds me for neglecting my turn signal. I've been driving the same vehicle on the same roads making the same turns for years. People should know by now when I'm turning, so turn signals not required.

Winilyme 12-26-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 390172)
I always thought the flashah, was the guy in the raincoat that stood on the corner waiting for the red light then ran out and opened the raincoat to show his birthday suit.

My wife would like to know what corner you’re referring to.

John Mercier 12-26-2023 09:32 PM

The preferred hangout seems to be the two lights in downtown Laconia.

Reilly 12-27-2023 04:34 AM

No Blinker

Why should anyone care where i am going ????

codeman671 12-27-2023 07:26 AM

Blinkas are for turning, flashas are for accidents/hazards. Get it right!

TheProfessor 12-27-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 390177)
I live in a small town and drive an old beat-up truck. My daughter always scolds me for neglecting my turn signal. I've been driving the same vehicle on the same roads making the same turns for years. People should know by now when I'm turning, so turn signals not required.

Was pulled over by local Barney Fife years ago for not using the turn signal.

Now I always use it.

Biggd 12-27-2023 08:53 AM

Make sure you fill that blinka fluid! :D

mbr 12-27-2023 11:41 AM

#3 is wrong. Come to a complete stop even if nobody is coming, so everybody behind you has to stop.

Weekend Pundit 12-29-2023 10:39 AM

I use my blinkah...'cept when I forget to refill the blinkah fluid.

onceMeg 12-29-2023 08:02 PM

There’s always this . . .

1 Attachment(s)
Another blinkah avoidance maneuver?

bobkatfly 12-30-2023 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 390174)
This all sounds like Rockingham County, not the rest of NH. But a good reminder to clean up our habits as we enter the season of ice and snow.

Driver's School? Didn't we all learn to drive as part of 4-H tractor training?

"Blinkah's"? I remember hand signals, but only for left turns, since nobody would pass on the right as they would fall off the edge of the road.

I recall when folks south of Rockingham County got a license that was "Restricted to Automatic Transmission" because they couldn't manage a clutch. (If you can't manage a clutch, you start and stop/stall too quickly and the contents of the Honey Wagon will slop over the ends and sides.)

I'm sure other experienced NH drivers have their own tips.

When I was in driver's school, we alternated between driving and observing in the back seat while another was driving. We were required to use hand signals then. One time I was the observer and the driver, about to make a right turn, extended her right arm straight out and into the instructors face, knocking his glasses off and his cigarette out of his mouth. Lessons learned. Don't signal for RH turns, dont ride shotgun and only smoke while you're driving.