Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carpenter/general repairs near Wolfeboro (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18494)

capybarus 11-24-2014 01:32 PM

Carpenter/general repairs near Wolfeboro

Hi, All - does anyone have recommendations for a carpenter in/near Wolfeboro? Someone who can do a variety of small to medium jobs around the house - e.g. wall repair (wood/drywall), door repair, bathroom floor... Also, what are the reasonable rates that I can expect Lakes Region carpenters to charge? I got one recommendation from neighbors already, but the person quoted $49/hr, which seems steep. Thank you.

tis 11-24-2014 03:32 PM

That is on the high side. You should be able to find someone for less than that. A few years ago, they almost all got $50 an hour, but when times changed, they dropped their prices.

BroadHopper 11-24-2014 04:28 PM

Pretty good price

lately handymen / women are charging around $80 an hour. And usually come when they feel like it.

I would call David Gammon in Laconia, very reasonable and reliable.

ishoot308 11-24-2014 04:38 PM

Sounds Fair

Honestly $49.00 per hour for a experienced finish carpenter sounds reasonable to me. It's not like he's making $49.00 per hour in his take home pay once his overhead and other required business expenses are met.

Everyone in the building trades are fairly busy right now. If this person has experience and came recommended from people you trust and you have done your due dilligence, I wouldn't "shop it out" too long. An experienced and quality oriented finish carpenter can be hard to find right now.

Good luck!

Dan

sky's 11-24-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 236824)
Honestly $49.00 per hour for a experienced finish carpenter sounds reasonable to me. It's not like he's making $49.00 per hour in his take home pay once his overhead and other required business expenses are met.

Everyone in the building trades are fairly busy right now. If this person has experience and came recommended from people you trust and you have done your due dilligence, I wouldn't "shop it out" too long. An experienced and quality oriented finish carpenter can be hard to find right now.

Good luck!

Dan

110% correct finding a good contractor now will be tough. you have to understand that your buying a SERVICE NOT A PRODUCT. best of luck. :)

capybarus 11-24-2014 10:05 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, all for the replies!

tis 11-25-2014 07:56 AM

All the carpenters I know would LOVE to get $80 an hour. Plumbers and electricians get that but not carpenters.

BroadHopper 11-25-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 236853)
All the carpenters I know would LOVE to get $80 an hour. Plumbers and electricians get that but not carpenters.

Tradesmen charged $80? tell me about it. Apprentices maybe, but journeymen and masters make at least $125.

Unless you know someone I don't know!

tis 11-25-2014 04:47 PM

I must. I have never paid 125.