Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Treatment for Chainsaw Sculpture ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27787)

bigdog 02-28-2022 10:57 AM

Treatment for Chainsaw Sculpture ?

I have a small (3ft) bear figure that was cut from a chainsaw by a local artisan. It is kept outside year-round, and I want to put a protective treatment on the entire piece.

I don't want the surface to appear shiny, but maybe a satin finish.
Thinking maybe using Minwax Helmsman Satin Clear Oil-Based Spar Urethane, or should I brush it on with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Indoor/Outdoor Wood Finish ?

If folks have other ideas, I'm open to other suggestions ?

Thanks !

billy 02-28-2022 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Use a Sikkens PPG product like they use for log homes. Oil base preferred so you never have to strip off a coating of finish. You can find this at Gilford True Value

Descant 02-28-2022 11:37 AM

My experience

I had a bear and cub for many years, painted black by the sculptor. I don't know what he used, but it held up well without any care by me for more than 10 years. The first few years, I kept stones under the feet to keep them off the ground/moisture. As they moved around, the stones got omitted and eventually the feet rotted. As the wood dried, there was some checking over the years. I don't know that there is a cure for this. I think I'd be more inclined to treat with something like Thompson's Water Seal than any sort of varnish. This is just raw pine, so not much longevity should be expected. hibernating in a garden shed or garage in the winter will probably help as much as chemical treatment.

fatlazyless 02-28-2022 12:40 PM

If the wood surface has never been sealed and will absorb an oil product, the Great Value $1.56 8-oz spray can of Canola Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray at Walmart will work fabulous!

Also works good for spraying the inside chute and augers on your snowblower, or in the fry pan for frying eggs and bacon.

upthesaukee 02-28-2022 01:00 PM

My first place to ask...

My first place to ask would be the local artisan from who you got the bear. :rolleye2:

Dave

John Mercier 02-28-2022 06:33 PM

Billy would be correct.
But the product being proposed is not log home siding stain. Sikkens - now Proluxe in the US - comes in several different formulations. SRD means Siding, Railing, Decking. They also have a Log & Siding formula that is a two coat process that leaves a luster.

Not sure how to stop checking... as the wood dries, it shrinks. Oil will replace some of that water loss... but probably not all.

I have seen certain wood fillers used to repair checking, but I think it would be tricky to do and have the repair go unnoticed.

Flyfisha 02-28-2022 06:59 PM

No canola!!

Oil based products intended for wood are fabulous!! As a woodworker all my life you cannot use canola oils on wood!!

It is NOT a finishing material. Canola oil, otherwise known as low eurcic acid rapeseed oil, if exposed to air will oxidize and turn rancid.

Don’t ruin your piece over this!! Talk to an expert in what oil based products to preserve your piece.

John Mercier 02-28-2022 07:13 PM

Other than brands... the OP's options are rather limited.
Oil-based with UV protection in a matte finish really demands a product like the Proluxe.

The Helmsman Spar is a polyurethane with UV protection so the poly doesn't yellow and peel. I highly suggest its use on wood doors, but I cannot get it in a matte finish.
ZAR makes an exterior oil-based matte polyurethane.

TheProfessor 02-28-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisha (Post 367827)
Oil based products intended for wood are fabulous!! .

Have a cedar fence. Post and 2 cross bars. Left natural with no finish for years.

Started to get green tiny moss on some sections.

Went to hardware/lumber yard and purchased the cheapest polyurethane available. Did zero prep work. Just applied with brush. Liberally.
Been 2 years now. No issues. No moss.

Flyfisha 02-28-2022 08:49 PM

This was taken from https://woodiswood.com/complete-guid...%2012%20months.

To preserve your chainsaw carving for as long as possible you must seal it with an oil such as the danish oil or decking oil. Apply multiple coats of the sealer with daily intervals between each coat. Reapply the sealer regularly during the first year, and only once per year after the first 12 months.

John Mercier 02-28-2022 09:01 PM

Proluxe is a decking oil.
If you apply multiple coats, it will get shiny.

Same thing would happen with Penofin when I used that.

Descant 02-28-2022 09:08 PM

Perspective

What's your time worth? Regardless of what chemicals you use, the poor bear has a limited life expectancy. Wait 10-12 years and buy another one if you still need the garden decoration. Maybe you sold the house? Average house turnover is 7 years.

bigdog 03-01-2022 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback, much appreciated !

Woody38 03-01-2022 12:39 PM

I have applied Australian Timber oil on steps and now 15 years later they are perfect and do not need another treatment.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

John Mercier 03-01-2022 06:53 PM

3400 series... not the 19400 series.
NH has a VOC restriction, so we can only sell it as a quart.

WJT2 03-02-2022 08:29 AM

Boiled Linseed Oil