Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Used Snowmobile (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4144)

jogator1 01-07-2007 09:17 AM

Used Snowmobile

I am interested in purchasing a used snowmobile but have no knowledge about makes and models. Can you please give your opinion on the which make is the best and ones I should stay away from? I was thinking about buying a 2 seater and see a few arctic cats for sale. Is this a good choice? Thank you for your responses.

SAMIAM 01-07-2007 09:35 AM

You're better off to buy 2 singles if it's in the budget.If one breaks down on a mountain top , it's a long walk.All of the major brands are good as long as you shop carefully.Low milage and good condition is the key.
You'll probably get buried with offers in light of the lack of snow. Good luck...see ya' on the trails "I hope)

jogator1 01-07-2007 09:51 AM

Thank you. Can you give me an idea what is considered low hours?

codeman671 01-07-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogator1
Thank you. Can you give me an idea what is considered low hours?

Snowmobiles do not have hour meters, they have odometers so mileage is what to look for. It all depends on the year. If you have a few machine in mind PM me the details and I will give you my opinion. I have bought and sold many sleds and have ridden dozens so I have plenty of experience in what to look for.

Try calling Rochester Sports Center and ask for Bob Ciccetto, 332-1022. Tell him Jason sent you. He has many used machines and backs them up. As far as dealers go he probably has the largest used inventory in the state. He sells Polaris and Arctic Cat new, but gets others in used. I would suggest Arctic Cat myself, I am not a Polaris fan.

SAMIAM 01-08-2007 09:23 AM

I'd suggest under 1,000 miles.That's almost like new and if were me,I'd stay local for service.There are good machines everywhere.I drive Polaris myself and have had very good luck.I have heard that DaSilva Motorsports in Moultonborough is a very good dealer although I've never dealt with them myself

chipj29 01-09-2007 08:03 AM

Brands

As far as brands go, many snowmobilers are fiercy brand loyal. It is kind of like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing. Which one is better? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
I like my Ski Doo better than Polaris/Arctic Cat/Yamaha.
I like my Chevy better than Ford/Dodge.
IMO, you are more than likely to get a decent sled from any of the 4 manufacturers. A lot depends on how well the previous owner took care of it.

Try this link for a well written used snowmobile evaluation guide...
http://users.metro2000.net/~rmmc/usedguide.html

Outlaw 01-12-2007 11:17 PM

Liquid or Fax Cooled

Something else to consider when making a purchase; fan cooled versus liquid cooled. With the great lack of snow around the Lakes Region these past several winters, liquid cooled sleds do not fare well. They depend on the snow and something more than a light snow. The fan cooled sleds are often the ones you see at the grass drags. Fan cooled sleds can also save your butt when your miles in the woods and your liquid cooled sled won't stop overheating and you need a tow - a fan cooled is a good work horse. Liquid cooled sleds are usually more performance oriented and often are faster. When you're riding across the frozen lake, the fan cooled sleds can go the entire way without a worry about bare ice - the liquid cooled may be faster, but you bet your bottom dollar they are looking for some snow on that frozen lake. Although, all sleds need to have contact with snow when riding across a frozen lake, otherwise your hifax will heat up and start to melt - and it's a 'challenge' to break that free. Again, make sure you're always sledding with someone and have ALL the proper gear and emergency items just for these kinds of unexpected issues you can encounter. Tool kit, extra oil, antifreeze.......