Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Meredith in the 50s and 60s (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29210)

Janet 11-13-2023 01:16 PM

Meredith in the 50s and 60s

Many memories of Meredith while vacationing on Pinnacle Park Road in the 50s and 60s. Samaha's, the Key Theatre, Prescott Pharmacy, True's Gift Shop etc. What are your favorites?

VitaBene 11-13-2023 03:15 PM

I remember Ted Trevor had an Amoco (I think) gas station where Lago is as well as a seaplane business.

garysanfran 11-13-2023 04:08 PM

I was always terrified of the "IF YOU BREAK IT, YOU'VE BOUGHT IT" sign in Trues.

Shopping at the A&P.

tis 11-13-2023 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 389138)
Many memories of Meredith while vacationing on Pinnacle Park Road in the 50s and 60s. Samaha's, the Key Theatre, Prescott Pharmacy, True's Gift Shop etc. What are your favorites?

In the other post you mentioned the Dairy Bar. I remember the one right on the corner where the lights are now. Is that the one you were referring to? When I was little we used stop there either going to Laconia or going home.

Descant 11-13-2023 04:17 PM

The tulip chairs on the porch at True's that said "For Tired Men". At Interlakes/Weeks Dairy Bar, my buddy and I used to split a Mount Washington sundae (two bananas, six scoops of ice cream for those who are new). Whoever finished his half first ate for free and the other guy paid.

Janet 11-13-2023 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 389143)
In the other post you mentioned the Dairy Bar. I remember the one right on the corner where the lights are now. Is that the one you were referring to? When I was little we used stop there either going to Laconia or going home.

That’s the dairy bar I was talking about, Interlakes Dairy Bar. I think it was somehow connected with Week’s Dairy Bar in Laconia. They had similar items on their menu, Awful Awful, Sissy Splits and the amount Washington sundae.

Janet 11-13-2023 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 389144)
The tulip chairs on the porch at True's that said "For Tired Men". At Interlakes/Weeks Dairy Bar, my buddy and I used to split a Mount Washington sundae (two bananas, six scoops of ice cream for those who are new). Whoever finished his half first ate for free and the other guy paid.

We challenged my Aunt to finish that sundae by herself at Weeks Dairy Bar in Laconia one Sunday night before the fireworks at the Weirs. Being the stubborn woman she was, she accepted the challenge. She finished it but laid in the backseat of the car with a very upset stomach and missed the fireworks.

Janet 11-13-2023 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 389142)
I was always terrified of the "IF YOU BREAK IT, YOU'VE BOUGHT IT" sign in Trues.

Shopping at the A&P.

I remember those signs. I loved the miniature animals they had on display in the box filled with fine white sand. What a temptation for a little kid.

tis 11-13-2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 389146)
That’s the dairy bar I was talking about, Interlakes Dairy Bar. I think it was somehow connected with Week’s Dairy Bar in Laconia. They had similar items on their menu, Awful Awful, Sissy Splits and the amount Washington sundae.

Yes, that was the name!!

Susie Cougar 11-13-2023 10:12 PM

Anyone remember Parisi’s Italian Restaurant and the Wakitatina?

VitaBene 11-14-2023 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 389150)
Yes, that was the name!!

The Weeks are friends- they have a lot of the old signs displayed in their barn.

ghfromaltonbay 11-14-2023 02:28 PM

Still have my collection

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 389149)
I remember those signs. I loved the miniature animals they had on display in the box filled with fine white sand. What a temptation for a little kid.

Here are my True's ceramic critters from the early 1960's. The shelves are part of my medicine cabinet which is from the Meredith Yield House.

BroadHopper 11-14-2023 04:53 PM

I remember Mame's, Yield House, Interlakes Diary, Mug, Meredith Station, Ambrose, Frankensundae.

jbolty 11-14-2023 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 389179)
I remember Mame's, Yield House, Interlakes Diary, Mug, Meredith Station, Ambrose, Frankensundae.

Chase's restaurant, Amatex, Tulsa, Lake Shore Deli, Western Auto, St Charles Church

Janet 11-15-2023 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 389186)
Chase's restaurant, Amatex, Tulsa, Lake Shore Deli, Western Auto, St Charles Church

Lake Shore Deli had the best sub sandwiches in town.

Janet 11-15-2023 10:32 AM

Key Theatre

Remember going up a flight of stairs to enter the Key Theatre? It was next to AJ's Bait and Tackle.

jbolty 11-15-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 389212)
Lake Shore Deli had the best sub sandwiches in town.

They sure did and I loved the ones they had wrapped up by the cash register soaking up the dressing for a few hours

garysanfran 11-15-2023 04:55 PM

There used to be a little deli, run by I believe a Greek. kind of near the intersection of Rt. 25 and Pleasant St.. It was on the same side as BarnZ's Movie Theater near the driveway to Meredith Village Savings Bank. I only remember the deli in the early 60's and not much after that. Made great Italian/Greek subs.

jbolty 11-15-2023 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 389232)
There used to be a little deli, run by I believe a Greek. kind of near the intersection of Rt. 25 and Pleasant St.. It was on the same side as BarnZ's Movie Theater near the driveway to Meredith Village Savings Bank. I only remember the deli in the early 60's and not much after that. Made great Italian/Greek subs.

Lake Shore Deli. Right next to the Gulf station.

The deli in the house across the street, next to the former JB Scoops, used to be Symonds funeral home. That's Lakeside Deli