Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winter Sports (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New friend skiing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12356)

GM doc 06-21-2011 07:07 PM

New friend skiing

Has anyone been through the days of getting a friend (40yo) up on skies for the very first time? What ski area did you take the first timers AND was it a good experience?

CL 240 LS 06-23-2011 07:11 AM

Teaching a friend or loved one how to ski for the first time might end that relationship quickly!

Most ski area ski schools have great deals that include rentals, ticket and lesson. Some have multi lesson deals for never evers that gives them a seasons pass.

upthesaukee 06-23-2011 08:19 AM

Water ski or snow ski?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM doc (Post 160669)
Has anyone been through the days of getting a friend (40yo) up on skies for the very first time? What ski area did you take the first timers AND was it a good experience?

Given the time of year, and the phrase "getting...up on skies...", I surmise GM Doc may be talking about water skiing, and asking what area on the lake (Chestnut Cove, Winter Harbor, Melvin Bay, etc.) is a good area for an older (not old!) beginner.

Unfortunately, I have not tried to teach a 40 YO first timer how to ski.

spider22 06-23-2011 09:52 AM

I learned to ski about 6 years ago when I was in my late thirties at Mt. Sunapee. It has several trails ranging from what I call the bunny slope to very difficult trails. If you can try to get them there in the middle of the week when it is not quite so busy.

hilltopper 06-23-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 160838)
Given the time of year, and the phrase "getting...up on skies...", I surmise GM Doc may be talking about water skiing, and asking what area on the lake (Chestnut Cove, Winter Harbor, Melvin Bay, etc.) is a good area for an older (not old!) beginner.

Unfortunately, I have not tried to teach a 40 YO first timer how to ski.

Well, this is in the Winter Sports forum and the poster says "ski area" so I'm going to assume we're talking about snow skiing here. That being said, I can think of two things to say:

1. CL 240 LS is spot on. I've had poor experiences tecahcing friends and relatives how to ski. People tend to exercise much less patience with loved ones than they would strangers (and by strangers I mean trained ski instructors).

2. If you really want to give it a go, Bretton Woods has a beginner chairlift and lift tickets are free if you ski only this lift. You never know...your friend might hate it. Even if they love it this beginner lift will provide a challenge for them for at least a day of skiing.

upthesaukee 06-23-2011 01:07 PM

Oooooooooooooooppppppppps

My bad!!!! I didn't even look at the forum type. I was just going down the new posts and saw what looked like an interesting read. Who da thunk it?????:laugh:

Since I haven't been on downhill skis in over 40 years, and therefore wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about, I'll sit back and watch this thread grow.

Thanks Hilltopper!:cheers:

VitaBene 06-24-2011 08:08 AM

King Pine is a great learning Mountain as well.

SIKSUKR 06-28-2011 01:30 PM

Well if he's a fast learner and really wants to go now there is still a few turns to be had in Tuckermans.:laugh:

NHBUOY 07-14-2011 11:21 AM

Check out Loon Mtn. Excellent ski school, never-ever specific terrain area(s), and reasonable/competitive rates. Look for deals for the never-evers. They used to have a promo that involved 3 lessons, equipment, and lift ticket for a total of $330. Finish the 3 lessons and get a season pass. Loon is a very nice place to ski..