Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mama Lucy's (Cow Island) (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27183)

StevenGilford 07-03-2021 05:21 PM

Mama Lucy's (Cow Island)

Does anyone have any new information on how to contact Mama Lucy's and hopefully line up a reservation? I've been calling the number shared on here before and haven't been able to speak to anyone!

wentworthwhitbreadIII 07-07-2021 10:37 AM

They have closed permanently.

StevenGilford 07-08-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII (Post 358096)
They have closed permanently.

Ah too bad. Thanks for the info!

Bizer 03-03-2023 08:58 AM

I was looking at old Bizer notes of 20+ years ago, when I was reminded of Mama Lucy's place on Cow Island. So I did a google search to see if she were still in business. I found this thread. I also found an article that stated "When Sophia Loren visited Lake Winnipesaukee in the 1980s, she dined at Mama Lucy’s, an Italian restaurant on Cow Island." I didn't know Lucy went that far back.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know her years of operation?

As a secondary note: Bizer has a web page that lists places-to-eat by boat. I removed "Lucy" from that list, but it has not been otherwise updated for five years. For most of my Winnipesaukee visits, Bizer is checking buoys so any updates to Bizer's list would be appreciated. www.bizer.com/w2eat.htm Send an email to restaurants@bizer.com

ishoot308 03-03-2023 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizer (Post 381633)
I was looking at old Bizer notes of 20+ years ago, when I was reminded of Mama Lucy's place on Cow Island. So I did a google search to see if she were still in business. I found this thread. I also found an article that stated "When Sophia Loren visited Lake Winnipesaukee in the 1980s, she dined at Mama Lucy’s, an Italian restaurant on Cow Island." I didn't know Lucy went that far back.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know her years of operation?

As a secondary note: Bizer has a web page that lists places-to-eat by boat. I removed "Lucy" from that list, but it has not been otherwise updated for five years. For most of my Winnipesaukee visits, Bizer is checking buoys so any updates to Bizer's list would be appreciated. www.bizer.com/w2eat.htm Send an email to restaurants@bizer.com

I believe it was once also called Gus’ Lodge…

Dan

sunset on the dock 03-10-2023 02:38 PM

And it is such an amazing spot, tucked into the cove, with 4-5 bays in the deepwater boathouse. Boy, think of what you could do with that.

tis 03-10-2023 04:03 PM

As I recall she started it to feed the parents who came to visit their kids at the camps. After she died the "kids" continued for a while but now have stopped. They are an extremely nice family. Last I knew they still went out there though.

ishoot308 03-10-2023 04:59 PM

Regrets

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 381886)
As I recall she started it to feed the parents who came to visit their kids at the camps. After she died the "kids" continued for a while but now have stopped. They are an extremely nice family. Last I knew they still went out there though.

One my regrets is having been invited to go with a group of people there but couldn’t make it…tried to make reservations over the years but it never panned out. Would have loved to have gone there!

Tis have you been there?…I heard is was quite good and a good experience. What was your experience if you have been would love to hear!

Thanks!

Dan

Descant 03-10-2023 05:41 PM

I went once with a group of maybe 20. We were the only ones there. A greta meal, good, memorable experience.

tis 03-10-2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 381888)
One my regrets is having been invited to go with a group of people there but couldn’t make it…tried to make reservations over the years but it never panned out. Would have loved to have gone there!

Tis have you been there?…I heard is was quite good and a good experience. What was your experience if you have been would love to hear!

Thanks!

Dan

I have been there a few times. It was a great experience, a lot of it was because it was so different. You had appetizers on the boathouse roof first and then went to the porch where there was a long table, you all sat together and they put out dishes and you shared family style. It was BYOB. You had to get your reservations a year or two ahead because they were always booked. And you had to have a certain amount of people (or spend a certain amount of money) in order to go. A lot of the groups went there every year, year after year after year. I am sorry it closed but I know it must have been difficult to have something like that on an island. But it was very unique.

ishoot308 03-10-2023 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 381901)
I have been there a few times. It was a great experience, a lot of it was because it was so different. You had appetizers on the boathouse roof first and then went to the porch where there was a long table, you all sat together and they put out dishes and you shared family style. It was BYOB. You had to get your reservations a year or two ahead because they were always booked. And you had to have a certain amount of people (or spend a certain amount of money) in order to go. A lot of the groups went there every year, year after year after year. I am sorry it closed but I know it must have been difficult to have something like that on an island. But it was very unique.

Thank you tis, that’s the best review of the place I have ever seen!

You’re the best!

Dan

tis 03-10-2023 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 381902)
Thank you tis, that’s the best review of the place I have ever seen!

You’re the best!

Dan

Why thank you my friend!!

LoveLakeLife 03-10-2023 08:14 PM

Is the building/boathouse still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 03-11-2023 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 381913)
Is the building/boathouse still there?

Yes. Last I knew the family still goes out.

steve-on-mark 03-11-2023 07:28 AM

We had always talked about going, but talking about it was as far as we ever got. Maybe we should start Mama Kathy's on Mark![emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

tis 03-11-2023 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 381922)
We had always talked about going, but talking about it was as far as we ever got. Maybe we should start Mama Kathy's on Mark![emoji16]

There ya' go. But what do you think, would it be terrible to get it approved?

steve-on-mark 03-11-2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 381923)
There ya' go. But what do you think, would it be terrible to get it approved?

I don't know... maybe we do a clandestine, speakeasy kind of thing. Bunch of people show up, we eat and drink...then, in the words of comedian John Pinette..." You go now...you been here 4 hour...you no come here anymore!"

tis 03-11-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 381925)
I don't know... maybe we do a clandestine, speakeasy kind of thing. Bunch of people show up, we eat and drink...then, in the words of comedian John Pinette..." You go now...you been here 4 hour...you no come here anymore!"

:laugh::laugh: I'm sure you would have better luck with that idea!

The Real BigGuy 03-11-2023 10:11 AM

I believe Mama Lucy’s was “clandestine” in that it was never “licensed or permitted”. I heard from different people that it was very good at the beginning but was pretty bad towards the end. A very lovely spot though.

tis 03-11-2023 11:34 AM

Probably grandfathered because she started it so long ago.

Seaplane Pilot 03-11-2023 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 381931)
Probably grandfathered because she started it so long ago.

I believe you’re correct. Can you imagine all the Karens today dropping a dime on this type of operation that went decades pleasing thousands of people. No wonder they closed it up. Very sad.