Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pine sap?? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29109)

chasedawg 09-08-2023 12:49 PM

Pine sap??

What's with this pine sap? Lived her for 40 years and never can I remember having so much pine sap covering everything. You have to take your shoes off just to go in the house. Our poor dog has pine needles and sap on every paw. With all the rain this year we have had excessive amount of pine needles and now this pine sap. Tried doing some research I learned that it indicates the pine tree health could be a concern. But it is every pine tree. I was in a parking lot yesterday and a car next ours was covered with pine sap. Was it because of the weather this Summer. Great deal of rain, then hot and humid. It started Monday when we had a thick fog. That is when we noticed it . Now has become a sticky problem. Any ideas?

WinnisquamZ 09-08-2023 01:07 PM

Agree. Best luck I had is with rubbing alcohol. If it’s on exterior house, windows and such. I just let it dry out and scrap it off

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ITD 09-08-2023 03:29 PM

Too bad it's not as tasty as maple sap.

joec 09-08-2023 03:38 PM

Just did a test on a car that was loaded with pine sap all over the windows and paint. We tried Simple Green, Nu Finish car wax, rubbing alcohol and WD 40. WD 40 was the best with rubbing alcohol coming in second.

Jeanzb1 09-08-2023 03:42 PM

What about Goo-Gone?

Outdoorsman 09-08-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 387620)
Agree. Best luck I had is with rubbing alcohol. If it’s on exterior house, windows and such. I just let it dry out and scrap it off

for a surface such as a car hood I find Vegetable Oil works best. It seems to wipe clean right away. Then you just have to wash the oil off with soap. So, a 2 step process.

tummyman 09-08-2023 04:36 PM

Try butter....

NH.Solar 09-08-2023 06:16 PM

Diesel fuel works better than anything else I Have ever found for cleaning off pine sap. I have a saw mill and normallly use just water with a bit of Pine Sol for that blade cooling drip, but whenever I am sawing fresh pine or hemlock I go with straight diesel. Kinda stinky, but all the machinery glitters like brand new when I wipe it down at the end of the day

WinnisquamZ 09-08-2023 06:32 PM

Now I understand what you have all been saying. Didn’t look at my truck until we went out tonight. WD40 in the morning

The Real BigGuy 09-08-2023 07:34 PM

I have two big pines right on my driveway where I park. My cars got covered in pitch. I tried everything: pinesol, simple green, assorted other cleaners. Nothing worked. I even found my wife using the edge of a plastic utensil to scrape it off. (Stopped that guck.)

I got rear ended and asked the guy at the body shop what they use. He said they use rubbing alcohol. One cloth with alcohol, one soaked in water.

I started using it and it works great with the exception that there is always some carryover that looks like a haze around the spot you cleaned. I found that if you use a little cleaner wax on the hazed area it takes it right off.

The only real answer is a garage or a car cover. I bought a car cover but my wife wouldn’t put it on. “Too much work”. And using the alcohol & wax isn’t?

SAB1 09-08-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 387626)
Too bad it's not as tasty as maple sap.

:liplick:
That is the best thing in March !

WinnisquamZ 09-08-2023 07:46 PM

Disinfecting wipes that we all carry in our car these days also work

chachee52 09-08-2023 08:09 PM

Hand Sanitizer, put a little squirt on the sap, let it sit for a bit, take a paper towel and place it on top and twist it off. Don't rub, it will scuff the paint. Then a little wet cloth to wipe the residue off. Hand sanitizer is mostly all alcohol, but the gel allows it to stay on it without going all over the place.
Works great!!!!

Descant 09-08-2023 10:13 PM

My boat sits under pine trees. his has been a bad year for pitch. Whatever you use, cleaning spots will leave a polka dot appearance so you need to be prepared to do eubbing compound and wax to restore the gelcoat/finish.
Has anybody had a car or boat with ceramic coating? Does that protect from the pine sap?

Jack 09-08-2023 10:31 PM

tree sap

Use straight kerosene!

Winilyme 09-09-2023 06:40 AM

Yes…a very bad year and all the rain knocks it down as soon as you clean it up. I think it has to do with the abundance of new pinecones on the trees. We get a real bad year every four or five years. Makes a mess of our outdoor furniture and deck. We keep a spray bottle filled with denatured alcohol handy and an old rag. It does a good job removing the sap and the spray bottle makes the process much easier. In a year like this you need to keep up with it nearly every day however.

It’s also been a big year for acorns.

tis 09-09-2023 07:08 AM

You are right, we have tons of pine cones this year, and lots of sap. I have had good luck with Mr. Clean. It's funny, once it was all over my deck and nothing worked.

Biggd 09-09-2023 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 387634)
I have two big pines right on my driveway where I park. My cars got covered in pitch. I tried everything: pinesol, simple green, assorted other cleaners. Nothing worked. I even found my wife using the edge of a plastic utensil to scrape it off. (Stopped that guck.)

I got rear ended and asked the guy at the body shop what they use. He said they use rubbing alcohol. One cloth with alcohol, one soaked in water.

I started using it and it works great with the exception that there is always some carryover that looks like a haze around the spot you cleaned. I found that if you use a little cleaner wax on the hazed area it takes it right off.

The only real answer is a garage or a car cover. I bought a car cover but my wife wouldn’t put it on. “Too much work”. And using the alcohol & wax isn’t?

I'd be cutting those trees down in a heart beat or at least trimming them back.

LoveLakeLife 09-09-2023 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 387636)
Disinfecting wipes that we all carry in our car these days also work

We all carry disinfecting wipes around??

thinkxingu 09-09-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 387647)

I mean, not in my pocket, but in every vehicle I own, yes.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Susie Cougar 09-09-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Yes, always some type of wipes or sanitizer.

WinnisquamZ 09-09-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Been placed in my vehicles for over 20 years. When you work in retail and or sales you shake a few hands and get handed things from others frequently.

WinnisquamZ 09-09-2023 11:20 AM

Just completed washing and waxing the truck. Alcohol worked the best. Followed it up with a bug and tat clearer

Poor Richard 09-09-2023 03:09 PM

I'd suggest the following products for pine pitch removal:

WD-40

Sem-Solve

Penetrating oil

Quote:

No, never. It's pointless. Germs are everywhere. Embrace them.

LoveLakeLife 09-09-2023 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 387661)

I like Susie’s posts but I’m with you on this one Richard. Never used such things, never would.

Sweet spot 09-10-2023 03:25 PM

Best for sap

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 387619)
What's with this pine sap? Lived her for 40 years and never can I remember having so much pine sap covering everything. You have to take your shoes off just to go in the house. Our poor dog has pine needles and sap on every paw. With all the rain this year we have had excessive amount of pine needles and now this pine sap. Tried doing some research I learned that it indicates the pine tree health could be a concern. But it is every pine tree. I was in a parking lot yesterday and a car next ours was covered with pine sap. Was it because of the weather this Summer. Great deal of rain, then hot and humid. It started Monday when we had a thick fog. That is when we noticed it . Now has become a sticky problem. Any ideas?

Dawn dishwashing soap works pretty well, but the best thing ever for sap removal - especially from dogs is TecNu. The pharmacist at Hannaford turned me in to it. No smell, no residue and dog does not mind it at all. Works like a charm!

John Mercier 09-10-2023 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 387661)
I'd suggest the following products for pine pitch removal:

WD-40

Sem-Solve

Penetrating oil

So you don't wash your hands after going the bathroom because it is pointless?

Islandbum 09-10-2023 05:45 PM

Baby oil

When I lived up there I did some tree work on islands. Would come home covered head to toe in sap, we called it pitch.
I would rub Baby Oil all over and wait ten minutes to shower, pitch/sap would glide right off without scrubbing. Smelled good and left skin silky smooth.

barndoor 09-10-2023 07:56 PM

Pitch

Dawn and olive oil worked well on my dog’s paws.

Poor Richard 09-10-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 387697)
So you don't wash your hands after going the bathroom because it is pointless?

Don't get so easily distracted.

What do you use to remove pine pitch?

John Mercier 09-10-2023 09:22 PM

Depends on the surface... but painted metal I have used the WD40 method.

My most recent method has been a chainsaw.
Pine trees are of limited value to the cottage. I leave a few on the lower property far from the house for raptors to nest in.

Most of them grow too tall to provide meaningful wind protection that short to medium shrubbery can provide.

TheProfessor 09-11-2023 04:49 AM

Here.
Having 2 large/tall pine/fur trees to be cut down and removed.

Use rubbing alcohol with white round cotton cosmetic pads on painted areas.
Use razor blade and alcohol on glass areas.

Wash and wax painted areas after.

lakesregionguy 09-11-2023 04:30 PM

buy a spray can of "bug and tar remover" from Walmart or any auto supply store.

jeffk 09-12-2023 06:13 AM

I just finished cleaning my truck with rubbing alcohol. I made the mistake of parking it under the pine trees overnight. There were a couple hundred drips. The alcohol worked well but you have to keep using clean paper towels. If you don't, the sap from the last blob you cleaned leaves a cloudy smear as you do the next one. Also, don't leave the alcohol on too long, wipe it with a clean paper towel. If it dries with a smear, clean with another clean piece of towel with alcohol and immediately dry again with another dry piece of towel. After I got all the blobs off, I gave it a good wash with regular car wash soap. Today I need to check that I got all the pine pitch off and then wax it.

Even if WD-40 works, it is designed to leave a lubricating film. After getting the pine pitch off, I don't want anything left behind. Rubbing alcohol is designed to evaporate and leave nothing behind. Besides that, I don't want my car smelling like WD-40.

I also had tried Goo Gone which worked but not as easily or with as clean a result as the alcohol.

It seems to me that no matter what you use, it shouldn't be left on the paint surface too long or it could do damage. Perhaps subtle but still compromise the paint/clear coat.

Dad207 09-12-2023 08:25 PM

Pine Tar / Pitch

This is a great discussion with many helpful suggestions-- I have found that Purell (alcohol-based hand sanitizer) and an old rag, along with some elbow grease, resolves most issues and without residue (e.g. WD 40, diesel or kerosene).

Here is my question: why this year? What is different to make the trees emit so much more pitch? I am baffled, interested in your views.

WinnisquamZ 09-12-2023 08:34 PM

Personal opinion, with all the rain it’s been a terrific growing season?

Biggd 09-13-2023 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 387782)
Personal opinion, with all the rain it’s been a terrific growing season?

Esp for mushrooms! :rolleye1:

tis 09-13-2023 07:31 AM

Not so great for the vegetables but apparently really great for pine cones and the sap. They glow in the sun.

WinnisquamZ 09-13-2023 07:36 AM

Agree. Container plants this season were a challenge. Did get some tomatoes and peppers. But, not the bounty we anticipated

chasedawg 09-13-2023 04:41 PM

Pine pitch dogs

Quote:

Originally Posted by barndoor (Post 387702)
Dawn and olive oil worked well on my dog’s paws.

That is what out vet said to use for dogs. Olive oil and clean paws with dawn.

John Mercier 09-13-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 387789)
Agree. Container plants this season were a challenge. Did get some tomatoes and peppers. But, not the bounty we anticipated

Are you using a well draining potting mix?

And what variety of tomato and pepper? And what companion planting did you use?

ApS 09-15-2023 03:53 AM

Turpentine Worked Great!

I took denatured alcohol, xylol, and rubbing alcohol out to the truck's windshield to test on three small patches of pine pitch. (Xylol is what we used to call "paint thinner"). :rolleye2:

Each worked well, but alcohol cleaned-up best the thin haze left behind. You'll need plenty of rag surface or paper towels. On the paint, I'm going to try out MMO, or Marvel Mystery Oil. (Because I have some handy). ;)

Turpentine is still sold, and is derived from tree sap! Somebody try it out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 387646)
I'd be cutting those trees down in a heart beat or at least trimming them back.

White Pine trees are the first species to re-populate a forest after a wildfire. Their ample presence early-on, before logging and farming, had contributed to Lake Winnipesaukee's original clarity. We owe a lot of gratitude to White Pine trees. Their presence lakeside reduces silt, many structures include their lumber, and their twigs start my woodstove's fires.

If you visit a pristine lake nearby, you'll see a majority of White Pine trees. Reach down into the ground covering of pine needles and pull out a divot. You'll see at least an 6-inch depth before the needles deteriorate into a light gray color. Erosion is hard to find.

My steep dirt driveway won't erode when there's an unbroken covering of pine needles. I remove the cones, as they interfere with grip. In the neighborhood, I've even seen a dump truck's delivery of pine needles!

:look:

tis 09-15-2023 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 387812)
Are you using a well draining potting mix?

And what variety of tomato and pepper? And what companion planting did you use?

I assume you were the ONE out a hundred who had a perfect garden this year?

SAMIAM 09-15-2023 08:21 AM

How did this thread go from pine sap to gardening ?

tis 09-15-2023 08:25 AM

:offtopic:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 387842)
How did this thread go from pine sap to gardening ?

:offtopic::offtopic: HAHA

John Mercier 09-15-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 387840)
I assume you were the ONE out a hundred who had a perfect garden this year?

Nope.
Only did perennial flowers and shrubs this year.

Clover did well - no pitch.
But it attracts deer. So I was looking to container garden herbs next year... maybe some veggies... but I have never grown in containers.

Just need a different thread for advice on that.

tis 09-15-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 387851)
Nope.
Only did perennial flowers and shrubs this year.

Clover did well - no pitch.
But it attracts deer. So I was looking to container garden herbs next year... maybe some veggies... but I have never grown in containers.

Just need a different thread for advice on that.

My pine needles and pitch shared nicely with my tomatoes which we are still eating- and cukes. And I must have pulled 200 little maple trees out of my containers. But no pine trees. I won't talk any more about the garden so I won't get in trouble.

SAMIAM 09-16-2023 04:05 AM

Made the mistake of resting my bare arm on neighbors mail box while chatting........aarrrgghhhh......covered with pitch.

Brake cleaning spray works well

Triboro 09-20-2023 09:00 AM

Peanut butter

Peanut butter takes pine sap off hands.

bobkatfly 09-21-2023 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triboro (Post 387970)
Peanut butter takes pine sap off hands.

But what happens when you lick the PB off to clean your fingers?:D