Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kennel/Petsitting in Gilford/Laconia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12835)

nesun326 08-16-2011 04:40 PM

Kennel/Petsitting in Gilford/Laconia

We have a condo in Gilford and generally take our dog with us wherever we go. But occasionally, we go out to dinner with friends or to Meadowbrook for a concert.

We're looking for an occasional kennel or pet sitter in the area. I don't like leaving her alone, as she hates it, and tends to be a bit destructive if we leave her for long periods. We've tried crating her (I've always crated dogs in the past without a problem) but she goes crazy.

Thanks!

LIforrelaxin 08-17-2011 09:05 AM

Go to Sam and Roise's in Center Harbor and ask to talk with Megan, about pet sitting. She is a nice young lady who enjoys animals and is trying to get a business going, doing just the type of thing you are requesting.

Winnisquamguy 08-18-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesun326 (Post 166156)
We've tried crating her (I've always crated dogs in the past without a problem) but she goes crazy.Thanks!

With some training you can get your dog to like the crate, try feeding her in there. You can also put her toys, and some treats in there. Don't lock the door until she is comfortable with it. She is just acting out like a toddler wanting attention sometimes you just have to ignore her and in time will get comfortable with it. Good luck!

tis 08-18-2011 07:07 AM

Sometimes they never do get used to a crate. My daughter's dog eats the woodwork when they leave so they crated him. He eats the bars, has eaten through two crates until his mouth bleeds. He is soaking wet when they come home. He bounces the crate all across the room if it isn't secured.He went to obedience school and that didn't help. He is only about 20 lbs.

LIforrelaxin 08-18-2011 12:03 PM

Some notes from some recent trials in create training...

-- location of the crate... We found that are dog went from being upset, and stessed to being much more relaxed by simply moving the crate from an area where he couldn't see the entry door, to being where he could see it.

-- As mentioned, feed the dog, and give him treats while in the crate... make an association of the crate and positivity....

-- work on getting the dog into the crate under his own power, no forcing... this goes along with feeding and treats... we would make the dog (and still do) go into his crate and lay down to get a treat....

-- Make the crate always accessible to the dog, never close the door unless you are leaving.... our dog now goes in his crate even with out prompting. I am hoping soon he will even learn to take naps in it.... but one step at a time.

Note that I don't expect these tricks to work for everyone, but they are notes on what I have been doing and found, with my latest dog.

Last let you dog decide what normally belongs in the crate with him... if you put something in there and he takes it out... don't put it in there again.... My dog wants nothing in the crate except himself and food... his toys for reasons unknown to me don't belong in there, we clean the house and put them in the pen, and he takes the right back out...

gravy boat 08-19-2011 11:54 AM

Pet Sitter Recommendation

We highly recommend Play At Home Pet Sitters, LLC, out of Meredith. We live in Gilford and they come over 2x/day. Eva Ashton -- 279-7770

They are bonded, insured, etc. VERY resonably priced as well!

Tell her Bo's and Sara's mom sent you! :D

GB