Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ice... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20271)

ishoot308 02-26-2016 11:37 AM

Ice...

1 Attachment(s)
...is breaking up!!!

Not to Worry 02-26-2016 11:43 AM

Amazing?

Did they cancel the derby?

GTO 02-26-2016 12:02 PM

no!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not to Worry (Post 257567)
Did they cancel the derby?

But they should. They are encouraging people to fish on the smaller lakes. I wouldn't even trust those. cancel it and double the prizes next year. I think they are more worried about the $$ that will be lost on hotels, dining and whatever else brings in money. Its just a fish...not worth dying for

brk-lnt 02-26-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 257570)
But they should. They are encouraging people to fish on the smaller lakes. I wouldn't even trust those. cancel it and double the prizes next year. I think they are more worried about the $$ that will be lost on hotels, dining and whatever else brings in money. Its just a fish...not worth dying for

Agreed. At this point actively encouraging people to go out on the ice is, IMO, malicious. Many people that come for the derby aren't familiar with the local conditions day to day, they may not realize that much of the lake is precarious and they need to be EXTREMELY cautious. Falling through ice into frigid water is no joke.

ishoot308 02-26-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 257571)
Agreed. At this point actively encouraging people to go out on the ice is, IMO, malicious. Many people that come for the derby aren't familiar with the local conditions day to day, they may not realize that much of the lake is precarious and they need to be EXTREMELY cautious. Falling through ice into frigid water is no joke.

Yup, enticing people to go on unsafe ice for prizes and money in today's litigious society, seems like a lawsuit in the making.

HomeWood 02-26-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 257574)
Yup, enticing people to go on unsafe ice for prizes and money in today's litigious society, seems like a lawsuit in the making.

A frivolous lawsuit but somebody would try it. Fish the smaller lakes and or hope for a raffle prize.

Woodsy 02-26-2016 12:49 PM

It is a no-win situation....

If you cancel the derby because of weather people bitch and complain relentlessly. They want their money back from both the Derby organizers and the hotels/motels etc. they want the $$$ prizes awarded anyway, etc etc...

If you don't cancel and someone gets hurt, the derby gets a black eye.

There will be no liability incurred by the Rotary club or the derby as going out on ANY ice regardless of thickness is considered an "at your own risk" activity legally.

Personally I think the odds of someone going thru the ice are the same, derby or no derby.

Woodsy

radioman 02-26-2016 12:51 PM

Ice

Things are not getting any better!!! This am passed by the ramp at Lake Waukewan, Just off the ramp was a patch of water, the rest of the lake appeared to be well frozen. There were at least 6 Bob Houses within 100 yds of the ramp. Is ice fishing really worth the risk??

Pricestavern 02-26-2016 12:57 PM

Ice by Boat?

Can I fish from a boat if I'm in the Derby? Seems like there'll be enough open water to go out in a row boat or canoe.

8gv 02-26-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 257576)
It is a no-win situation....

If you cancel the derby because of weather people bitch and complain relentlessly. They want their money back from both the Derby organizers and the hotels/motels etc. they want the $$$ prizes awarded anyway, etc etc...

If you don't cancel and someone gets hurt, the derby gets a black eye.

There will be no liability incurred by the Rotary club or the derby as going out on ANY ice regardless of thickness is considered an "at your own risk" activity legally.

Personally I think the odds of someone going thru the ice are the same, derby or no derby.

Woodsy

In a no win situation the decision should go to safety.

Woodsy 02-26-2016 02:32 PM

8GV

Going out on the ice is NEVER safe... EVER!! No person of authority will ever tell you "the ice is safe".. So you always do so "at your own risk"

That being said, most of the lakes in the area have a sufficient ice thickness.

Regardless, if they have Derby or not, people will be out on the ice. Do I think its a good idea... NOPE! But to each his own...

Woodsy

GTO 02-26-2016 03:01 PM

true

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 257588)
8GV

Going out on the ice is NEVER safe... EVER!! No person of authority will ever tell you "the ice is safe".. So you always do so "at your own risk"

That being said, most of the lakes in the area have a sufficient ice thickness.

Regardless, if they have Derby or not, people will be out on the ice. Do I think its a good idea... NOPE! But to each his own...

Woodsy

But with a Derby, there will be ALOT more people on the ice than just the locals. Keep the scanners on, could be an exciting weekend

Water Camper 02-26-2016 03:07 PM

Fish thru the ice only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 257579)
Can I fish from a boat if I'm in the Derby? Seems like there'll be enough open water to go out in a row boat or canoe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this time of year you can only fish thru the ice. I don't think you an legally fish from a boat this time of year.

Hope that helps,
Bill

Sunbeam lodge 02-26-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 257578)
Things are not getting any better!!! This am passed by the ramp at Lake Waukewan, Just off the ramp was a patch of water, the rest of the lake appeared to be well frozen. There were at least 6 Bob Houses within 100 yds of the ramp. Is ice fishing really worth the risk??

The next 2 days are probably going to be warmer

Lakegeezer 02-26-2016 06:52 PM

Smart so far, but Darwin is watching

Driving through Meredith and Center Harbor today, there were just a few bob houses on Winnipesaukee. All near Lago's. The Meredith boat ramp is blocked off and marked closed. No bob houses on Center Harbor Bay either. There are a few bob house scatterings on lakes along Route 104 from RT93 to Meredith. Those fishing are being smart. Holding the derby in spite of increased risk averts a total loss and gives smaller lakes more traffic, but it is a Darwin Award high alert weekend.

secondcurve 02-27-2016 07:29 AM

How It Happens

The derby brings out lots of folks and as the crowds build fisherman try and get away from the crowds and as this happens folks spread out and wind up on unsafe ice. Throw in some drinking and the probability of a drowning increases.

rsmlp 02-27-2016 07:33 AM

Throw in some drinking and the probability of a drowning increases.

Amen, brother.

nhd 02-27-2016 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These were taken this morning, 2/26/16, the ice really opened off of Rattlesnake yesterday with the wind..... hopefully the photos come out.

GTO 02-27-2016 10:54 AM

Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 257578)

According to "officials", there are plenty of safe lakes in NH to fish on but they recommend fishermen wear life jackets, carry ice picks and safety ropes (from WMUR article). Oxymoron ?

VitaBene 02-27-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 257639)
According to "officials", there are plenty of safe lakes in NH to fish on but they recommend fishermen wear life jackets, carry ice picks and safety ropes (from WMUR article). Oxymoron ?

Perhaps, but I carry picks when there is 24 inches of ice because of currents and open areas.

Blue Thunder 02-27-2016 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo as of noon today by Aerial Photo NH from their FB page. Welch Island in the foreground.

Slickcraft 02-27-2016 04:05 PM

Thanks BT for posting the photo. Our camp is on bottom right of Welch as shown. At 2 pm today there were people fishing near our camp (As viewed from Lincoln Park with binoculars). Not very smart.

Top-Water 02-28-2016 10:04 AM

Thanks for the photo "Blue Thunder"

I wonder what this (same image) will look like in the next few days after the predicted warm spell this week.

Interesting how you can clearly see the wind pattern when it blows over the open water.

MeredithMan 02-28-2016 04:59 PM

Unbelievable....

Just happened to check the WeirsCam when I logged in and unbelievably, there is some guy out ice fishing pretty far out....

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/webcam/...che=1456696535

winnisquam 02-28-2016 05:28 PM

Through the ice . . .

We fished Lake Winona on Saturday with 12 inches of good ice. Typical spring conditions near the shore line as a result of lake levels going up and the sun heating up the land mass.

I introduced an avid fisherman (60 years) to ice fishing 5 years ago, he is hooked. My mentoring included, never go near open water. I left Winona at 3:00 and he stayed for awhile with another friend.

When they left, he took a short cut to get back to the road and was to close to a dock with an active bubblier, looked like a fountain, hence open water. The ice under foot gave way and he went into the lake up to his neck.

He started using his ice picks as his friend approached and then he went through the ice over his head. They both made is to shore and the only loss was 2 iphones, very close call . . .

At the same time I was back on Winnisquam drilling holes out front and the ice thickness was 1" to 5" but the water was only 12" deep as I understood my environment, not so much at Winona. Got up this morning and put all the winter gear away. Not going ba until the boat will float . . .

Blue Thunder 02-28-2016 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you not on FB another exceptional photo by Aerial Photo NH of Paugus Bay and the channel at the Weirs...

fatlazyless 02-29-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 257579)

...only if you set the boat on top of the ice, and then cut a hole through the ice for a fishing line. No fishing in open water in lakes until April 1 to give the fishes time to get healthy.

Don't know if this also applies to rivers like the Winnipesaukee River?

topwater 02-29-2016 04:17 PM

Only on lakes that are Declared " LAKE TROUT AND OR SALMON". Other bodies of water it is permitted. I would pull out the ole Fish & Game booklet and read what your favorite body of water is Declared.

nhd 03-01-2016 07:11 AM

Lots more open this morning

1 Attachment(s)
The wind last night really made a large opening, quite a difference overnight.

rsmlp 03-01-2016 07:17 AM

Wide open by South point off Long Island. wind was crazy last night!

nhd 03-01-2016 07:21 AM

Also looks like openings in Wolfeboro and lots of cracks near Rattlesnake and Sleeper. Bergs floating around the end of Rattlesnake and the winds are doing a real number.

WIS 03-01-2016 01:09 PM

Open water from Welch to Diamond Island this morning:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5757AA31

dt5150 03-14-2016 10:12 AM

any recent pics?

dpg 03-14-2016 10:30 AM

Die winter, die!! :d

Slickcraft 03-14-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt5150 (Post 258519)
any recent pics?

Lots of photos on the ice out thread................