Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Engine hour meter wiring (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25756)

bobkatfly 05-14-2020 06:41 AM

Engine hour meter wiring

Hi. I have a friend with a 2004 Bryant 234 deck boat and Mercruiser Bravo I/O. He claims the engine hour meter runs with the key in the off position and battery switch on. Is this normal that the meter is wired directly to the battery clocking hours? I don't know if it's an after market meter or OEM. I checked my Cobalt and it doesn't run even when in accessory position.

brk-lnt 05-14-2020 11:49 AM

No, that is not normal or correct. The meter is supposed to measure actual time the motor has been running.

BTW, the ECM of the boat could be polled with the correct diag software to get actual runtime of the engine.

Woodsy 05-14-2020 12:48 PM

This boat should have an ECM that will log the engine hours....

No hour meter should run on just the battery switch....

Older boats had the hour meters hooked up to the ignition switch and could run with switch turned to accessory.... although most marine ignition switches do not have an "accessory" position.

Woodsy

DPatnaude 05-14-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 334732)
although most marine ignition switches do not have an "accessory" position.

Woodsy

You might want to try turning the key counter-clockwise for the accessory position: Accessory-Off-Run-Start

Woodsy 05-14-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPatnaude (Post 334734)
You might want to try turning the key counter-clockwise for the accessory position: Accessory-Off-Run-Start

Really? I had no idea! LOL!

None of the ignition switches (stock or replacement) in my Donzi's have had an "accessory position".. they were all Off-Run-Start.

No need for an "accessory position" in a boat... that is what the battery switch is for, and sometimes a "master" accessory switch on the dashboard.

Woodsy

BroadHopper 05-14-2020 05:07 PM

Accessory switch

Neither do Formulas. Accessories can only be run when the electrical shutoff is on. I always shut off the main power when boat is not in use. With the main power switch off, I can still run the bilge pump. Other accessories including the motor cannot be used.

Formula hour meters only run when the engine is running.

I did have a Liberator. Hour meter runs whenever the ignition switch is on even if the motor is not running. Same as my old Wellcraft.

Guess it depends on who did the wiring.

bobkatfly 05-14-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 334738)
Really? I had no idea! LOL!

None of the ignition switches (stock or replacement) in my Donzi's have had an "accessory position".. they were all Off-Run-Start.

No need for an "accessory position" in a boat... that is what the battery switch is for, and sometimes a "master" accessory switch on the dashboard.

Woodsy

Yeah, my 2012 Cobalt has the accessory position just like a car. Can run the radio without the helm instrumentation on.

8gv 05-14-2020 08:52 PM

One of my Sea Ray's has an accessory switch position and one doesn't.

This leads me to wonder what extra components are energized when it's not running but the switch is in the run position.

bobkatfly 05-15-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 334763)
One of my Sea Ray's has an accessory switch position and one doesn't.

This leads me to wonder what extra components are energized when it's not running but the switch is in the run position.

I believe the fuel pump energizes to prime when in the run position as well as the helm instrumentation, starting circuit safeties like oil pressure switch, etc.

Slickcraft 05-15-2020 07:44 PM

When we bought the new Eastern with a Yamaha outboard we had Dave install an hour meter. It is tied to the ignition so it monitors actual running hours. The Eastern has one of those boat fuel gauges, almost useless. As I have a good handle on average gallons per hour and keep a log book, every 30 hours or so I stop at the gas dock.

Oh and when the boat is docked, he battery switch is turned off.

upthesaukee 05-16-2020 07:13 AM

Smart guages

When I had a Merc Optimax on my 1st boat, I had smart gauges installed. Two features I liked was the fuel flow meter and the fuel used. The former helped find the right throttle and trim settings for better fuel economy, and the latter was far more accurate than the rock and roll tank gauge. Needed fuel injection for the Smart Gauges and I was disappointed when I got the new boat with a carbureted engine.

Dave

VitaBene 05-16-2020 11:34 AM

The tach in my Wellcraft went bad a few years back and I replaced with one with the hour meter built into it.

Rich 05-17-2020 08:19 AM

It seems obvious that someone miswired that hour meter when they installed it, or when a repair was made.

If you are not good with electronics yourself and need help, I highly recommend Nick of Northeast Marine Industries out of Meredith.

I've seen him work on other boats, he knows what he's doing, does a great job. He'll come to you as I've seen him often working out of his truck at our marina.

https://nwmarineindustries.com/