Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many island homes are on the lake? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6897)

Mike M. 10-14-2008 03:02 PM

How many island homes are on the lake?

I'm curious; does anyone have an approximate idea of how many homes are located on non-bridged islands on the lake?

Thanks
Mike

Grady223 10-15-2008 08:12 AM

Barndoor Island

There are 56, soon to be 57 on Barndoor. Perhaps other islands can also respond and we will will eventually get a count.

BlackCatIslander 10-15-2008 01:58 PM

Black Cat Island

There are 66 on Black Cat Island.

BlackCatIslander 10-15-2008 02:05 PM

I didn't read very well

My mistake, Black Cat has a bridge.

Pine Island Guy 10-15-2008 05:50 PM

Pine Island

my rough guess as I walk around the island in my mind is 24 for Pine Island - give or take a couple...

I'll do a drive around the island this weekend and get the exact count, and the count was 26, however a couple are on a single lot, so 24 is the number!

PIG

Pineedles 10-15-2008 06:38 PM

Interesting

This question could probably be answered by going to gov't or tax assessment sites but ..... a role call of island dwellers would probably be more interesting. Plus, we could hear from some of you who never joined the roll of registered users. Island dwelling is not for everyone, but it is intriguing. Not that I want to steer this thread to the differences of island dwelling, as that has been dealt with in many other threads, but how many of you are out there?:D

TomC 10-15-2008 07:30 PM

calculate it..

A decent approximation could be obtained by determining the perimeter of every island and dividing each by an average lot frontage to arrive at number of lots per island. The number of inhabitable islands is known and the perimeter can be estimated if there is an acreage known for each of them.

Finally reduce the count by factoring a guess for undeveloped lots (20%?). Errors in these kind of estimates tend to cancel and a surprisingly good result can be obtained.

I'll leave the heavy lifting for someone else to do...!

SteveS 10-15-2008 07:47 PM

21 on Diamond

There are about 21 houses on Diamond, and at least 3 other buildable lots.

Bear Islander 10-16-2008 07:17 AM

Bear Island has 192 homes, 2 children's camps, a graveyard and a church.

Phantom 10-16-2008 03:34 PM

This is way cool --

Keep them coming

Remeber the total count will probably come up short for there are some islands (Little Six mile, Dolly, Two mile, etc) that only have one or two houses

Orion 10-16-2008 04:12 PM

Cow Island

between 131 and 133 houses on Cow (not sure how many added in last 2 years)

Slickcraft 10-16-2008 04:35 PM

Welch numbering goes up to 66 but one large property has spans 5 numbers and another spans 2 numbers so my guess is 61 properties with buildings one of which is the yacht club.

bilproject 10-16-2008 04:39 PM

Dolly, South Dolly, Penny

Dolly has 2 houses, South Dolly (actually 2 islands one house on each) has 2 houses, and little Penny between the Dolly and Bear has 1 House.

Now we need someone who knows the Beaver Islands.:liplick:

Pine Island Guy 10-16-2008 05:18 PM

what counts as a house?

So for Three Mile, is it just 'one house' because it is one giant lot, or do we count each of the cabins and the lodge etc? How about boathouses?

I always look for reasons to take a nice leisurely cruise in the fall, and doing some island circumnavigating this weekend sounds like fun... I just want to make sure I know what I should be counting...

PIG

Orion 10-16-2008 10:28 PM

numbering is not valid

You can't go by lot numbering. The numbers on Cow go up to 309, but there are only ~132 houses. Some island had lot numbering which allowed for a shorefront lot and another lot behind it. This is true on Cow which has a road right of way around the whole perimeter in anticipation of a bridge which never came.

Phantom 10-17-2008 06:22 AM

Pine Island -- I would think that "dwellings" is the goal, Not simply structures but I'll let the others chime in too.

For example, I know Beaver has the conference center(or did) and about 6-8 cabins associated with it. I would think the "Main property" gets a count and not the rest. Similar to a Girls or boys camp you wouldn't count all the individual structures ................. we'll get some wrong & skew the count, but so be it ..... That's my two cents

Rattlesnake Gal 10-17-2008 08:23 AM

Rattlesnake Island

In 2007 Rattlesnake Island had 188 lots that paid association dues. I am pretty sure this number does not include the association owned community lots.
I have not counted the homes that are on our island, maybe this weekend? There are quite a few multi lot owners. Some of which are a house lot and the neighboring empty lot.
Would you want to include obvious bunkhouses in this number? Some of those might just be sheds, which makes me wonder how many bunkhouses are posing as sheds for property tax reasons?

snowbird 10-17-2008 09:43 AM

Gilford Island cottages

There are about 240 seasonal homes on 19 unbridged Gilford islands. This would include those previously reported for Diamond Island. Others are Welch, Timber, Mark, Mink, Jolly, Birch, Steamboat, Camp and Little Camp, The Forties, Round, Eagle, Pig, Lockes, Rock.

Pineedles 10-17-2008 11:18 AM

Center Harbor Area

There are no cottages on 1/2 mile or little one mile and only 1 (looks abandoned) on 1 mile.

Phantom 10-17-2008 03:33 PM

Some loose ends

Welcome Island = 1
Eagle Island = 1
Big Island = 1

Pineedles 10-17-2008 06:22 PM

Great response

How many Islands do we have to go?:)

BlackCatIslander 10-17-2008 06:58 PM

Defining the rules

The original post asked the number of homes. It seems to me that a shed or some sort of structure that may be on a separate lot is not a home. Can we agree on that?

Orion 10-18-2008 06:27 AM

some more in Tuftonboro

Birch I. = 1
Squirrel I. = 1
Devens I. = 1
Ragged I. = 3 (now LRCT owned)
Pleasant I. = 1 + 2 bunkhouses
Melvin I. = 0
Farm I. = 0
Loon I. (SE of Cow) = 1
Pistol I. = 1

fatlazyless 10-18-2008 07:24 AM

Horse Island had a six sided, two story cottage with a single boat garage until the house burnt down in the 1930's. Now it has none. and is hopefully unbuildable because it's just too small and scenic.

GWC... 10-18-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 83284)
Birch I. = 1
Squirrel I. = 1
Devens I. = 1
Ragged I. = 3 (now LRCT owned)
Pleasant I. = 1 + 2 bunkhouses
Melvin I. = 0
Farm I. = 0
Loon I. (SE of Cow) = 1
Pistol I. = 1

You may want to update your file...

Ragged Island - Tuftonboro 11-acre island maintained owned and operated by the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center. Ragged Island is not open to the public to protect the islands fragile ecosystem.

Fishy Cover 10-20-2008 11:00 AM

Ledge Island

Ledge Island has one house.

Sunset Bob 10-20-2008 02:51 PM

Little Mark

There is 1 on Little Mark Island.
Little Mark -1

Little Bear 10-20-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWC... (Post 83299)
You may want to update your file...

Ragged Island - Tuftonboro 11-acre island maintained owned and operated by the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center. Ragged Island is not open to the public to protect the islands fragile ecosystem.

Lakes Region Conservation Trust has some involvement in Ragged Island - an easement according to their website:

http://www.lrct.org/lake-winnipesaukee.html

Ragged Island is open to the public - visited there on several occasions this past summer. There are boat docks and beaches that the public can use.

GWC... 10-20-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 83410)
Lakes Region Conservation Trust has some involvement in Ragged Island - an easement according to their website:

http://www.lrct.org/lake-winnipesaukee.html

Ragged Island is open to the public - visited there on several occasions this past summer. There are boat docks and beaches that the public can use.

You are correct, in that the LRCT has once again assumed primary stewardship.
http://www.lrct.org/news-articles-2006d.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRCT IN THE NEWS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 22, 2006
Science Center Executive Director Iain MacLeod said that the Science Center has appreciated the opportunity to steward this special property and believes that it will be in capable hands with the LRCT. “The Science Center determined that the LRCT is the organization best suited to ensure that Ragged Island is preserved for conservation, habitat management, and nature education purposes, consistent with the expectations of those who were involved in the initial efforts to protect the property in the late 1970s and early 1980s.”

Some things are best done quietly.

Happy that you enjoyed your educational/conservational visit.

Grady223 10-21-2008 09:16 AM

Is anyone keep a stroke count of the homes by Island?

Rattlesnake Gal 10-21-2008 09:50 AM

A Few More To Count

There are two islands in Woodman’s Cove and each has a home on them.
(Their names are not on the maps.)
Ship Island has one home.
Parker Island has a main house and a guesthouse.
Moose Island appears to have two homes.

Pineedles 10-21-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 83441)
Is anyone keep a stroke count of the homes by Island?

MikeM wanted to know, so I am assuming he's keeping count. Unless you're volunteering?:laugh:

eillac@dow 10-21-2008 12:33 PM

Dow Island

Dow Island has 11 homes & 3 bunkhouses

Argie's Wife 10-21-2008 01:10 PM

from LakeWinnipesaukee.net

Lake Winnipesaukee is absolutely amazing when it comes to its islands.

Over 274 inhabitable islands many bearing the same name. (must have been interesting for the mail boat:-))

This is a list of Islands on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.

If you have any other island info Please email us

1 island with greater than 1000 acres (Long Island 1186 ac.)

3 islands between 500 and 1000 acres
(Bear Island 780 ac., Cow Island 522 ac., Governor's Island 504 ac.)

7 islands between 100 and 500 acres
(Rattlesnake Island 368 ac., Welch Island 187 ac., Little Bear Island 143 ac., Stonedam Island 141 ac., Timber Island 136 ac., Sleepers Island 113 ac., Mark Island 102 ac.)

6 islands between 50 and 100 acres 25 islands between 10 and 50 acres

226 islands with less than 10 acres

Badger Island(11 acres)
Barndoor Island(88 acres)
Battleship Island
Beaver Island(7 acres)
Bear Island(780 acres) (second largest island)it is the only island with its own church.
Becky’s Garden (Winnipesaukee's smallest island)
Big Island
Big Beaver Island(30 acres)
Birch #1 Island(25 acres)
Birch #2 Island
Black Island
Black Cat Island(75 acres) One of the islands bridged to the mainland. Accessible year round.
Blanche Island
Blanchards Island
Blueberry Island
Breezy Island
Brew Island
Camp Island(28 acres)
Chase's Island(19 acres)
Children's Island
Chip Island
Church Island
Christmas Island(4 acres)
Cosy Island
Cove Island
Cove #1 Island
Cove #2 Island
Cove #3 Island
Cow Island(522 acres) Settled in 1812 by Paul Pillsbury who erected a grist mill here, and is said to be the founder of the world famous Pillsbury Flour firm.
Crescent Island
Cub Island
Dale Island
Devens Island
Diamond Island(37 acres) (In 1861 Diamond Island was home to The Diamond Island House, a hotel frequented by summer guests. The Mount Washington and the steamer Lady of the Lake docked at the island as part of their regular stops as a service to their lodgers. At one point it was rumored that the island supported a Brothel in which the patrons would arrive by train and take small boats to the island for the “illicit” entertainment. The hotel also hosted a restaurant and bowling alley and was later moved across the ice to the Weirs and became part of the Hotel Weirs which was destroyed by fire in 1924. During World War II the United States Navy operated a test sight for remote controlled submarines off the north western side of the island. Off the south side of the island remains a US Navy sound test laboratory and is a popular dive site. Today, Diamond Island is home to many summer residents in private cottages and homes. The islands convienient location to the mainland makes it a popular spot.once the site of a large hotel known as the Diamond Island House. In 1865, it became the property of the Winnipisseogee Lake Steamboat Company)
Dollar Island
Dolly Island
Dow Island(32 acres)
Eagle Island(named for its nesting site for a bald eagle in the 1880s)was owned by Jack Wright a famed Boston attorney. During ownership of the island, his wife planted forty two varieties of shrubs and trees on this tiny island.
East Twin Island
Echo Island
Evergreen Island
Farm Island(21 acres)
Far Ozone Island
Fish Island(4 acres)
Five Mile Island(13 acres)
Foley's Island
Ganzey Island(15 acres)
Gem Island
Gichigumi Island
Glines Island(7 acres)
Goodwin Island
Goose Island
Goose Egg Rock Island
Governor's Island(504 acres)
Grant Island
Guay Island
Gun Island
Gypsy Island
Half-Acre Island
Half Mile #1 Island
Half Mile #2 Island
Harbour Island
Harmony Island
Harvard Island
Hawk’s Nest Island
Helen Island
Hemlock Point Island
Hen Island
Hermit Island
Horse Island (Many years ago a summer resident of Center Harbor was transporting his horse to the Weirs by boat, when a storm arose, sinking the craft. They never found the man however the horse was found living contently on this island.)
Hull Island (9 acres)
Hurricane Island
Indian Island
Jib Island
Joe's Island(8 acres)
Jolly Island(50 acres)
Keel Island
Keniston Island(18 acres)
Kinneho Island(5 acres)
Isle of Pines Island
Ledge Island
Leroy Island
Less In Area Island
Lincoln Island
Little Island
Little Badger Island
Little Barndoor Island(6 acres)
Little Bear Island(143 acres)
Little Beaver Island
Little Birch Island
Little Blueberry Island
Little Camp Island(6 acres)
Little Cove Island
Little Ganzey Island
Little Goodwin Island
Little Huck Island
Little Keniston Island
Little Loon Island
Little Mark Island
Little One Mile Island
Little Pine Tree Island
Little Pine #1 Island
Little Pine #2 Island
Little Pine #3 Island
Little Plum Island
Little Ragged Island
Little Six Mile Island
Little Two Mile Island
Little Vixen Island
Little Whortleberry Island(6 acres)
Littlest Mud Island
Loan's Island
Lockes Island(42 acres)
Long Pine Island
Loon #1 Island
Loon #2 Island
Loon #3 Island
Loon #4 Island
Long Island(1,186 acres )(Winnipesaukee's largest island)
Mark Island(102 acres)
Melody Island (20 acres)
Melvin Island
Middle Beaver Island
Mink Island(26 acres)
Mt. Major Island
Moose Island
Nabby’s Island
Nine Acre Island(13 acres) How did it get its name?
North Pasture Island
Oak Island
October Eve Island
One Mile Island(6 acres)It was here on a foggy Thursday morning, early in 1910,that the old sidewheeler MOUNT WASHINGTON ran aground. There was very little damage done.
Outlaw Island
Overnight Island
Palmer Island
Parker Island
Penny #1 Island
Penny #2 Island
Perch Island
Pig Island
Pine Island(74 acres)
Pinehurst Island
Pistol Island
Pitchwood Island(15 acres)
PixieRock #3 Island
Pleasant
Pop Island
Poplar Island
Quarter Mile Island
Racoon Island
Ragged Island(12 acres)
Randall Island
Rattlesnake Island(368 acres) (Rattlesnakes were actually found on the island-in fact as late as the 1940's. The skins and remains of some of these snakes can be seen at the Libby Museum on Rt109 in Wolfeboro.
Rock #1 Island
Rock #2 Island
Rocky Ridge #1 Island
Rocky Ridge #2 Island
Rocky Ridge #3 Island
Round #1 Island(43 acres)
Round #2 Island
Saint's Rest Island
Sandy Island(67 acres)
Scavenger Island
Shelter Island
Shephard Island
Ship Island
Six Mile Island(23 acres)
Sleepers Island(113 acres)
Small Island
Spectacle (N)Island
Spectacle (S)Island
Spider Island
Spring Island
Squirrel Island
Starr Island
Steamboat Island
Stonedam Island(141 acres) (So named because of an old stone causeway connecting it with the mainland on Meredith Neck.)Island purchased in 1982 by Lakes Region Conservation Trust. Today's home of Stonedam Island Wildlife Preserve
Store Island
Three Mile Island(47 acres) (One of the summer homes of the Appalacian Mountain Club since 1900.)
Timber Island(136 acres)
Tip Island
Treasure Island(10)
Two Mile Island
Uppershoe Island
Wallace Island
Welch Island(187 acres)Map
Welcome Island
Wentworth Island
Whaleback Island(4 acres)
Whaleback Point Island
Whortleberry Island(69 acres)
Winch Island
Windswept Island
Worcester Island(18 acres)

Fishy Cover 10-21-2008 03:52 PM

Dale Island has one

Dale Island has one house

Kamper 10-21-2008 05:31 PM

Dollar has one house. I did a donut run there once for some friends who were staying there for a week. Nice place.

Phantom 10-22-2008 06:47 AM

Great post Argies Wife --- love the little antedotes

Grady223 10-22-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 83451)
MikeM wanted to know, so I am assuming he's keeping count. Unless you're volunteering?:laugh:

I have accepted the challenge, below is what we have so far. We have accounted for 35 islands and identified 591 residences on them. I am also keeping the acreage if anyone wants to add to what Argie's Wife has provided.

(SEE THE NEXT POST FOR THE LIST)

Grady223 10-22-2008 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This PDF attachment will be easier to read. Please give me whatever additional data you'd like to add. Also of some help would be to identifiy which of the same name islands are which (near what, what town, etc.)

Orion 10-22-2008 10:16 AM

Nice job!

Thanks for compiling Grady223! I was debating doing the same myself and you saved me the trouble.

Some quick fill-ins for # homes I know of:

Becky's Garden 0
Echo 0
Goose 0
Helen 1
Store 0

Bear Islander 10-22-2008 10:47 AM

Loon #1 (South of Pine) 1
Rock #1 (West of Bear) 1
Palmer (West of Bear) 1
Shepard (West of Bear) 1
Little Pine #1 (West of Bear) 0
Little Two Mile 1
Little Beaver 1
Middle Beaver 1
Big Beaver 7
Beaver 1
Penney #1 (SW of Bear) 1
Penney #2 (SW of Bear) 1
Note:Penney Island is one island with two homes, or two islands with one home each, depending on your point of view (and water level). The lake level was lower when most islands were named.

Trivia Question: Name an island with the same name as the person that owns it. (Trust names don't count)

Sunset Bob 10-22-2008 10:55 AM

Trivia answer

Trivia Question: Name an island with the same name as the person that owns it. (Trust names don't count)[/QUOTE]

Beaver Island
John Beaver

Sunset Bob 10-22-2008 11:01 AM

OK I am wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset Bob (Post 83505)
Trivia Question: Name an island with the same name as the person that owns it. (Trust names don't count)

Beaver Island
John Beaver[/QUOTE]

OK I am wrong John Beaver doesn't own the whole Island but there is a John Beaver on Beaver Island.
( per PBS show Just Up The Road By Boat)

Bear Islander 10-22-2008 11:06 AM

Bob

You get partial credit for that answer.

There is at least one other.

Mike M. 10-22-2008 11:06 AM

I appreciate all of the responses! I was looking for a ballpark number but this is great.

Thank you Grady for compiling a list of the responses so far.

ghfromaltonbay 10-22-2008 11:25 AM

Loon Island in Alton Bay

Although the pedestrian bridge was replaced in the 1960's by a driveway from Sandy Point, the Loon Island in Alton Bay (don't know which # this is in the listing ) has 1 private residence.

Senter Cove Guy 10-22-2008 11:29 AM

Up My Way

Store Island - 0
Gem Island - 1
East Twin Island - 1
Gun Island - 0
Poplar Island - 0
Joe's Island - 0
Loon Island - 0

Island-Ho 10-22-2008 12:03 PM

The Forties

Here's my count for the Forties (and a few others):

Kineho 2
Breezy 1
Fish 1
Crescent 1
LeRoy 0
Pops 0
Saint's Rest 0
and I believe Round (the one near Camp) has 8

Steamboat 1
Windswept 1
Little Pine Tree 1

Near Lockes, Pig has 1 and Rock has 1
Little Vixen has 1

chipj29 10-22-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset Bob (Post 83505)

I never knew there was a "Chip Island".
Now that I know it is there, I need to do 2 things:
1. Find it
2. Live there

Grady223 10-22-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 83511)
Store Island - 0
Gem Island - 1
East Twin Island - 1
Gun Island - 0
Poplar Island - 0
Joe's Island - 0
Loon Island - 0

Thanks, which Loon? Where is it?

chipj29 10-22-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 83515)
I never knew there was a "Chip Island".
Now that I know it is there, I need to do 2 things:
1. Find it
2. Live there

I can check #1 off my list, a quick google search showed me exactly where it was.
Now I need a new #1...go there in person.

Senter Cove Guy 10-22-2008 03:45 PM

Loon Island - 0 houses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 83518)
Thanks, which Loon? Where is it?

Just slightly north of Joe's Island in Moultonborough Bay.

Pine Island Guy 10-22-2008 05:28 PM

are there multiple geese?

Goose Island between Pine and Y-Landing has a single house

PIG

Just Sold 10-22-2008 06:04 PM

Not sure if it is Little Pine Island 1, 2 or 3 but it is at the entrance to Lee's Mill. My lake maps only list it as Little Pine Is. One cottage there.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...992&ppuser=628

Pineedles 10-22-2008 06:40 PM

Update

Grady223

Update: Half Mile #2 Island house or cabin population of this island is: 0 (Goat skeletons too many to count).:laugh:

You have my apprecition and respect for taking on this task. It is a fool's mission that we all are doing, but it will keep us busy till the snow flys.:laugh:

Redwing 10-22-2008 08:27 PM

A few more from my neck of the woods

Here are a few more for your list:

Evergreen - 2
Blanchards - 0
Battleship - 1
Whaleback - 2

Island Al: I can't remember the name of your island....have you added it to this ever-growing list? Great thread! :rolleye2:

Orion 10-22-2008 11:28 PM

two Gooses (geese)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy (Post 83524)

There's a small Goose I. in Braun Bay with no house.

Grady223 10-23-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy (Post 83524)

PIG

How does this relate to the Goose Island in Braun Bay which has no house? Is one of these perhaps Goose Egg Rock Island? Or are there 2 Goose Islands and one was not originally listed on Aggie's Wife's list?

Grady223 10-23-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 83458)
Lake Winnipesaukee is absolutely amazing when it comes to its islands.

Over 274 inhabitable islands many bearing the same name. (must have been interesting for the mail boat:-))

This is a list of Islands on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.

Argie's Wife indicated 274 inhabitable islands but the named list she provided included only 195. Are the rest un-named or we just don't know their names. Does anyone know? There must be a complete list somewhere - can Bizer or Webmaster help?

webmaster 10-23-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 83549)
Argie's Wife indicated 274 inhabitable islands but the named list she provided included only 195. Are the rest un-named or we just don't know their names. Does anyone know? There must be a complete list somewhere - can Bizer or Webmaster help?

The home page of this site says "Number of Islands=253". That number comes from this page on Bizer's site: http://www.bizer.com/winislan.htm. I have never seen any substantiation of the 274 and 365 numbers that you see and hear frequently. Many years ago during a Mount Washington cruise they announced that there were "365 islands, one for each day of the year". I asked one of the bridge crew where that number came from and they weren't sure. I assume it may be just folklore.

Orion 10-23-2008 05:00 PM

Goose

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 83543)
How does this relate to the Goose Island in Braun Bay which has no house? Is one of these perhaps Goose Egg Rock Island? Or are there 2 Goose Islands and one was not originally listed on Aggie's Wife's list?

Grady223, The green chart just shows it as Goose I. near the north shore of Braun Bay. Too small for a house.

Pineedles 10-23-2008 07:14 PM

Amazing numbers

Isn't it amazing once something that is a given, isn't what it appears to be?:laugh: LET THE SEARCH CONTINUE!

Argie's Wife 10-24-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 83549)

Just to clarify that list - the source is lakewinnipesaukee.net - which I cite in the title above my post but thought I'd mention it again... Maybe there's a better resource?

webmaster 10-24-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 83567)
Maybe there's a better resource?

http://www.bizer.com/winislan.htm

M/V_Bear_II 10-24-2008 10:08 AM

There is one house on one of the Ozones - I think it's Little Six Mile. Another Ozone has a structure on it, but I don't think it's a house.

For the record, under anecdotes (not to be confused with antidotes), Birch Island (#2 on the list?) is connected by footbridge to Steamboat. In addition to the single home on Steamboat, that Birch has about 10 houses, but I don't have an exact count.

According to a photo on lakewinnipesaukke.net, Little Island has 1 house.

http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.net/mod...album=41&pos=3

Could we be checking online deeds to find a count?

SLI 10-24-2008 10:26 AM

Gichigumi Island off Smith Point is tiny with no homes

Orion 10-24-2008 10:47 PM

clarification re: Birch

Quote:

Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II (Post 83575)
.......Birch Island (#2 on the list?) is connected by footbridge to Steamboat. In addition to the single home on Steamboat, that Birch has about 10 houses, but I don't have an exact count.

In an earlier post where I stated that Birch Is. has 1 house it should have said Little Birch I. (E of Cow).

Thanks M/V

Fishy Cover 10-25-2008 08:11 AM

Welcome has one

Welcome Island is betwen Pitchwood and Stonedam and has one house that covers approximately 99.9865% of the island.

kayakn 10-27-2008 06:19 PM

Official name: Blacksnap but us locals call it Chicken Island is located near Rattlesnake Landing in Glidden Cove, West Alton. It is too small for any buildings.

islandAl 10-28-2008 09:44 PM

near Lees Mills and Greens Basin

Pinehurst - 1
Loan's (?) - 1
Badger - 1
Goodwin - 3
little Goodwin - 1
Round -1
Little Ganzey -1
Ganzey - 3 (at least)
Guay - 1
question, does land that can only be accessed by boat count if it has swamp touching on part of the "island" land stretching to main land (can not boat around)???? No names listed on Bizer charts

Grady223 10-31-2008 12:24 PM

Data Update

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the current lisitng with updates through yesterday. Keep them coming.

I now have the Bizer list, thanks Webmaster, and will add the missing islands prior to next weeks update.

Happy Halloween!

BlackCatIslander 10-31-2008 02:40 PM

Blueberry, Hull, and Wallace

Blueberry and Wallace have no homes. Hull has a number of separated rooms that make up one summer home.

Pineedles 10-31-2008 07:32 PM

cheera fro Graaaaaaaaaaady22333333333

You are the best! Thanks from all of us!:D

Slickcraft 11-02-2008 07:31 AM

Alton Islands

This data is from the Alton tax assessment data base as of one year ago. As such any camps constructed in the past year on a previously vacant lot are not counted.

I was able to sort an excel file of the data by island and then by assessed building value; vacant lots are not included in my count. For the 1st few low building values, I looked on the on line tax data to make sure it was a "camp" and not just an outbuilding.

The results:
Barndoor - 55 (As Grady223 reported 56 soon to be 57 based on local knowledge, we should use his 57 in my opinion)

Cub - 2
Little Barndoor - 5
Little Mark - 1
Moose - 2
Rattlesnake - 146
Ship - 1
Sleeper - 61
Treasure - 14

Grady223 11-05-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander (Post 83929)
Blueberry and Wallace have no homes. Hull has a number of separated rooms that make up one summer home.

I thought Blueberry was off Keniston Island, that Blueberry does have a house on it.

BlackCatIslander 11-05-2008 02:32 PM

Blueberry Island

The Blueberry Island that I am referring to is east of Black Cat and north of Hull.

islandAl 11-05-2008 05:35 PM

need towns or locations

There is also a Blueberry Island in Moultonboro, FL # 51 to small for any house and the wake action has it in at least two sections now. In a few years, will be nothing but a pile of rocks.

Grady223 11-06-2008 09:38 AM

I realized that the Blueberry off Keniston is Little Blueberry, BCI and islandAl, thanks - I updated the info for both Blueberries.

Grady223 11-07-2008 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is the latest update. I have reconciled the list with Bizer's. There are now 212 Islands on our list plus 42 that Bizer has listed as unknown, total 254. That is one more than Bizer's 253.

But, we have 4 islands on our list that are not on Bizer's: Blacksnap, Half Mile #2, Shelter and South Dolly - they are highlighted in yellow. Could be they are duplicates of others on our list or islands listed by Bizer as unkown. Any help on this would be appreciated.

We have data on 108 of the 212 islands and have identified 890 homes. I have made assumptions on some - example: where Bizer's list describes the island as a large rock I assume there is not house on it.

Keep the info coming.

Senter Cove Guy 11-07-2008 11:06 AM

Black Island

The south end Black island is where you'll find the senior division of Camp Winaukee. On the north end is a small house that probably belongs to the camp, since I think they own the whole island. Therefore, that house is not a true residence and I think 0 houses should be assigned to Black Island.

Grady223 11-14-2008 03:16 PM

Update for Week Ending 11/14

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest version of the List.

BlackCatIslander 11-14-2008 03:44 PM

Thanks Grady223

A comment and a question. Wallace Island is NE of Black Cat not Black. On your bottom line for Data, what is 109 and 51?

Orion 11-14-2008 03:58 PM

Getting there!

Thanks Grady223! Looks like it might take some Springtime reconnoitering to wrap up some of the remaining holes in the data, unless others find online tax data or other means to do so. The bridged islands (Governors, Long, Black Cat, etc.) might be a bit more difficult due to non-waterfront homes on them.

Pineedles 11-14-2008 04:30 PM

2 corrections

I believe that it was Little one Mile that the steamer Mt. Washington ran aground on, not One Mile.

Also, there are 2 distinct islands that make up half mile. Someone built a crude stone bridge between them but originally one was Goat Is. and I can't remember the name of the other. I'll try and find it.

Great work Grady223!

Grady223 11-17-2008 09:55 AM

BCI - dataline on the bottom is how many islands we have data on for each column - house data on 109 islands. I will make the change on Wallace.

Orion - I am OK with making this list for non-bridged islands only. I believe that is how it started.

Pineedles - I will make the correction and addition.

Thanks

Island Girl 11-19-2008 10:17 AM

The list

Hey Grady... may I post your list on my website... rattlesnakecam.com???

IG

tis 11-19-2008 04:47 PM

I don't know what you consider a house, but Hurricane Island recently had a little outbuilding erected on it. I think it is enough so they can spend the night. Is it a cottage??? Depends on your definition, I guess?

bilproject 11-19-2008 11:27 PM

Grady Correction for South Dolly (Bizer's Penny)

You correctly listed 2 homes for South Dolly and noted that Bizer does not list this island. Bizer lists it as Penny. However, if you go to Google Earth you will see Dolly Island listed and the Island to the South and East, which is completely divided by water until the lake level reaches below 503' marked as Penny. Now look behind Penny (as listed by google) and you will see another small island with no name. It is about 400 sq foot and has a 340 sq ft house on it 2 trees and a dock. That my friend is an island and it's name is Penny Island! What Bizer and Google call Penny (I'm sure Google picked it up from Bizer or Duncan) is known to the locals as South Dolly.
If you go to the Meredith web site and access the tax assessment put in Penny Island for a street address. Two listings will come up #1, #6. Two buildings are listed for #1 (South Dolly). These are owned by the same person but rented seperately and they are on opposite sides of the split in the island. They used to be owned by the Patterson Family. Number 6 is on the real 400 sq ft Penny island. Penny island is seperated from South Dolly by over 30 feet of water and no matter how low the lake I have never seen it connected to South Dolly. Maybe Bizer should go take a look. Be careful though as the chart is correct about the numerous shallow rocks. Penny has a dock and Carl Linstrom who owns the Island can even navigate them in the dark.
By my count that's Dolly-2, South Dolly-2, and Penny-1

Grady223 11-20-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Girl (Post 84759)
Hey Grady... may I post your list on my website... rattlesnakecam.com???

IG

IG: Absolutely, I'd be honored, besides I am only the scribe - it is a collaborative effort.

Grady223 11-20-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 84806)
I don't know what you consider a house, but Hurricane Island recently had a little outbuilding erected on it. I think it is enough so they can spend the night. Is it a cottage??? Depends on your definition, I guess?

If it is used for people to live in, I would consider it for our list.

PS: I will provide an updated version tomorrow.

Pineedles 11-20-2008 12:52 PM

"The Grady223 List"

Since this list is going to be placed on at least one other web site I hearby nominate the official name of this list as "The Grady223 List". All those in favor signify by saying Aye Aye.:laugh:

Grady223 11-20-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilproject (Post 84836)
You correctly listed 2 homes for South Dolly and noted that Bizer does not list this island. Bizer lists it as Penny. However, if you go to Google Earth you will see Dolly Island listed and the Island to the South and East, which is completely divided by water until the lake level reaches below 503' marked as Penny. Now look behind Penny (as listed by google) and you will see another small island with no name. It is about 400 sq foot and has a 340 sq ft house on it 2 trees and a dock. That my friend is an island and it's name is Penny Island! What Bizer and Google call Penny (I'm sure Google picked it up from Bizer or Duncan) is known to the locals as South Dolly.
If you go to the Meredith web site and access the tax assessment put in Penny Island for a street address. Two listings will come up #1, #6. Two buildings are listed for #1 (South Dolly). These are owned by the same person but rented seperately and they are on opposite sides of the split in the island. They used to be owned by the Patterson Family. Number 6 is on the real 400 sq ft Penny island. Penny island is seperated from South Dolly by over 30 feet of water and no matter how low the lake I have never seen it connected to South Dolly. Maybe Bizer should go take a look. Be careful though as the chart is correct about the numerous shallow rocks. Penny has a dock and Carl Linstrom who owns the Island can even navigate them in the dark.
By my count that's Dolly-2, South Dolly-2, and Penny-1

Thanks bilproject, got it.

M/V_Bear_II 11-20-2008 04:51 PM

From the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 84880)
Thanks,

So - I guess we consider this 6 residences with 22 bedrooms combined.

Oops, posted this on the wrong thread - disregard.

Careful on this one. It sounds like you're talking about counting all of Oliver's buildings as being on Six Mile. Most of the lodge is on the mainland, on Powers Road in Meredith facing Pine Island. Only one building is on Six Mile, although Oliver also owns a tiny island between the mainland and Pine, which is completely covered by an A frame building. The name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure we already got it further up the thread.

Pine Island Guy 11-20-2008 10:04 PM

that would be one of the "geese" islands

Quote:

Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II (Post 84888)
...Oliver also owns a tiny island between the mainland and Pine, which is completely covered by an A frame building. The name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure we already got it further up the thread.

correct, the little island in between the Y-Landing and Pine Island is Goose Island and there isn't much island to be seen since the A-frame is most of it.

PIG

Grady223 11-21-2008 03:28 PM

Update for Week Ending 11/21

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest version, I have decided to give them edition dates so we don't get confused.

There are now 206 non-bridged islands on our list and we have identified 826 homes on 110 of them.

I have written to Bizer to get his concurrence of bilproject's explanation on Dolly, South Dolly and Penny. In the meantime, I have included bilproject's info in the list.

M/V Bear II & Pine Island Guy - thanks for the clarification on Oliver's.

twins 11-23-2008 08:38 PM

Goose Egg

I believe that Bizer is incorrectly naming the island off Geneva Point "Goose Egg Rock Island". Goose Egg Rock is the submerged shoal marked by marker 12. There are two islands off Geneva Point. One is called Hartsock Island owned for many years by the Hartsock family and I forget the name of the other next to it (Bobs Island?). They are on the newer charts that are sitting up at the lake! I don't see it on Bizer's list.

Grant Island has a house on it. There is no septic or electricty, so i don't think the owner can sleep there. Does That count?

twins 11-23-2008 08:48 PM

Goose Egg

I believe that Bizer is incorrectly naming the island off Geneva Point "Goose Egg Rock Island". Goose Egg Rock is the submerged shoal marked by marker 12. There are two islands off Geneva Point. One is called Hartsock Island owned for many years by the Hartsock family and I forget the name of the other next to it (Bobs Island?). They are on the newer charts that are sitting up at the lake! I don't see it on Bizer's list.

Anyway, they both have 1 house on them. Grant Island is owned by John Bridges of Island RE. There is a house on it, but I don't think he has sewer or electricity and therefore can't sleep there. Does that count?

twins 11-23-2008 08:53 PM

Goose Egg

Anyway, they both have 1 house on them. Grant Island is owned by John Bridges of Island RE. There is a house on it, but I don't think he has sewer or electricity and therefore can't sleep there. Does that count?

Island Life 12-01-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twins (Post 84999)

Take it from someone who has spent their entire life summering on an island with no sewer and no electricity, you can sleep in these houses. And sleep well! I would never trade it for a house with electricity (although a flush toilet and shower would be a welcomed luxury). Living without electric lights at night is sooooo relaxing.

fatlazyless 12-01-2008 10:41 AM

I know that I've seen some old outhouses, still in use, in Meredith. Been in use since probably the 1920's, and maybe earlier. Basically, only used in the warmer months and just set above a hole in the ground.

Occaisionally treated with powdered lime, and located at a tax-exempt summer camp, I wonder if that is still a building code approved use because it's an original from way back when?