Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Staffing Issues for Summer of 2021 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26965)

swnoel 05-06-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 354869)
Ya, it's only the liberals that complain about inflation. :emb::emb:

I never mentioned a thing about inflation... :rolleye1:

Biggd 05-06-2021 09:26 AM

Maybe I should have used "rising costs" instead of inflation for those that don't understand the relationship between the two.
Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 354872)
I never mentioned a thing about inflation... :rolleye1:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 05-06-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK5 Truck (Post 354860)
I keep seeing people make the claim that the minimum wage it too low, thats not the problem, its finding quality people who actually have developed some kind of work ethic. Perfect example go to McDonalds and ask for a McDouble plain and no cheese, 9 times out of 10 you will bring the sandwich back at least once for them to get it right, those are not workers those are drones who dont want to think or in some cases intelligence had left them years ago. IMO so much of this rests squarely on the shoulders of parents, telling their kids they are special and dont have to do this or that, they have turned their kids into adult toddlers who want and need everything done for them or handed to them. My youngest daughter who graduated from college with a psychology degree EARLY and is signed up for grad school works as a server making yes minimum wage but yet brings home $500 a week in the off season and often over $1000 in the summer all while having a baby a year ago and raising her virtually by herself. How does she do this? She values herself as does her employer. She gives 100% in whatever she does. Thats how people survive on minimum wage jobs, you become a valuable asset not a liability like the McDonalds worker or the lazy ass sitting home playing video games waiting for his/her government check. If you have one of those types taking up space in your home YOU are the real problem.

This is a great story, and I'm sure your daughter is terrific. But she is not working for minimum wage, she's working for minimum wage plus tips.

The minimum wage rules do not apply to people who earn tips. So when we're talking about the minimum wage going to $10/hour, we're talking about folks who work as untipped employees, such as cooks and dishwashers.

As I'm sure some of our restaurant pros have seen, waiters and waitresses have done pretty well over the years with income. Every time the price of meals goes up, their tips go up. But kitchen staff, who do not earn tips, have seen their earning power decline.

fatlazyless 05-08-2021 04:58 AM

With the very short lived summer beach session only going from June 26 to the middle of August, seven weeks time, it's pretty much impossible to hire suitable lifeguards for the large sandy beach swim area at Weirs Beach.

May 7, Laconia Daily Sun article: "Lifeguards only at Bond Beach this summer." Bond Beach is on Lake Opechee so locals who want a swim area with lifeguards present can go swim there. This article with five short paragraphs explains the impossible situation for hiring lifeguards at the local beaches.

It's impossible ..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKQ9-_ZgB4 ...... sung by Perry Como-1970

So ...... for those in the know ....... Bond Beach on Lake Opechee WILL have life guards ....... and Opechee Park also on Lake Opechee, Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee, and Bartlett Beach on Lake Winnisquam will NOT have life guards.

Yes-life guards ...... or NO-life guards ...... how does this change the overall beach experience in terms of everything ..... swim safety, beach condition, litter, raking the beach, what happens at the beach? ....... www.laconianh.gov/208/Beaches ..... "Bond Beach is a RESIDENT and TAXPAYER only beach and passes must be acquired from the City Clerks office in order to enter. The cost is $15 for one pass and $25 for two. This pass will allow you to park at Weirs Beach parking lot for FREE, provided there is space available."

swnoel 05-08-2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 354892)
But kitchen staff, who do not earn tips, have seen their earning power decline.

Maybe you could give us some examples of what the area kitchen staff make? It's hard for me to believe there are adults that would work for minimum or low wage as competent cooks and chefs. Looking forward to the data you have as numbers don't lie...

FlyingScot 05-08-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 354959)
Maybe you could give us some examples of what the area kitchen staff make? It's hard for me to believe there are adults that would work for minimum or low wage as competent cooks and chefs. Looking forward to the data you have as numbers don't lie...

Kind of weird that you expect a person to have data on NH restaurant pay?

But for those without some sort of chip on their shoulder, and genuine interest in the issue....

Here's a quote from Danny Meyer, owner of Shake Shack, on the issue he saw at his full service restaurants, describing the dynamic I cited of waiters doing well with tips while cooks' pay stagnated:

“The gap between what the kitchen and dining room workers make has grown by leaps and bounds,” Mr. Meyer said. During his 30 years in the business, he said, “kitchen income has gone up no more than 25 percent. Meanwhile, dining room pay has gone up 200 percent.”

This was from a NY Times article a few years back. His effort to eliminate tipping ultimately failed (for the reasons we might expect);

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/d...s-no-tips.html

TheRoBoat 05-08-2021 10:01 AM

More on the no tipping model

Zuni Cafe is a very popular restaurant in SF.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...e-16148343.php

Descant 05-08-2021 10:19 AM

2015?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 354974)

But for those without some sort of chip on their shoulder, and genuine interest in the issue....

Here's a quote from Danny Meyer, owner of Shake Shack, on the issue he saw at his full service restaurants, describing the dynamic I cited of waiters doing well with tips while cooks' pay stagnated:

“The gap between what the kitchen and dining room workers make has grown by leaps and bounds,” Mr. Meyer said. During his 30 years in the business, he said, “kitchen income has gone up no more than 25 percent. Meanwhile, dining room pay has gone up 200 percent.”

This was from a NY Times article a few years back. His effort to eliminate tipping ultimately failed (for the reasons we might expect);

That's a pretty old quote, from a market that is unlike NH and related to a "no tipping" issue. I would suggest that in the last year or two, kitchen staff pay remained steady, per hour worked. Waitstaff, depending on tips from 50 customers a shift were reduced to tips from, say, 12.5 customers as capacity was reduced, or transferred to drive-up. A number of different scenarios were discussed in these pages a year ago.

FlyingScot 05-08-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 354979)
That's a pretty old quote, from a market that is unlike NH and related to a "no tipping" issue. I would suggest that in the last year or two, kitchen staff pay remained steady, per hour worked. Waitstaff, depending on tips from 50 customers a shift were reduced to tips from, say, 12.5 customers as capacity was reduced, or transferred to drive-up. A number of different scenarios were discussed in these pages a year ago.

Yes--it's an old quote and not related to covid as the issues you point out are. But it is an accurate description of how low wage labor in America has been hammered over the past several decades (less than 1% increase per year in this example). At some point, this leaves folks not wanting to work.

TheRoBoat 05-08-2021 11:37 AM

How many jobs unfilled?

There was an article in the Daily Sun on Thursday about this issue. In the article, various businesses stated how many employees they were short.

Is there an estimate, or could someone with knowledge make a guess, as to the total number of jobs in the Lakes Region that are going unfilled this summer?

Descant 05-08-2021 01:28 PM

Changing times

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 354987)
Yes--it's an old quote and not related to covid as the issues you point out are. But it is an accurate description of how low wage labor in America has been hammered over the past several decades (less than 1% increase per year in this example). At some point, this leaves folks not wanting to work.

I think we're seeing a different kind of eating out. When I got my first restaurant job, they trained me to be a short order cook and cook's assistant. I was sixteen; there were bunches of small family run, seasonal restaurants and motels around the area. The motels went condo and people either BBQ'd at the condo, or looked for more upscale dining. Both of those opportunities for kids to get some experience are gone. The community colleges and UNH have, I believe, thriving schools for culinary arts and hospitality, but again, aimed at a more refined experience. Over the same time HS and college sports started backing things up into mid-August. I don't think ill of any employer who is reluctant, in a seasonal business, to hire somebody who wants a week's vacation and then has to leave on August 15. And, nobody needs the money anymore. Whose kid do you know who is "working his way" through college? Easy student loans and no collateral, and politicians who promise loan forgiveness.

camp guy 05-08-2021 02:48 PM

Staffing Issues for Summer of 2021

I think, Descant, that you have hit the high points, and each of them ,or all, apply to some, if not all, local employers. I do think, though, that these conditions are not knew, not caused by COVID, but have been in the making for a number of years.

Young people today are just not interested in working a summer job. So, when they do enter the labor market, and their perspective employer asks them if they have any experience, they are at a loss for what to say. Most employers employing beginning workers aren't expecting to hire a trained person, but they do hope to hire someone who has some level of experience in just being an employee.

Sadly, that's not happening. Because of this circumstance, some employees are finding themselves caught in an unpleasant dynamic wherein they have education, but no experience, only can find an entry-level job, but, have real-world expenses that an entry-level job won't cover. At some point in time the government bail outs will stop and then hard, cold reality will kick in.

My advice to someone looking for a job - take whatever comes along and do your best, and keep moving up from there.

Descant 05-08-2021 04:02 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 354996)
I think, Descant, that you have hit the high points, and each of them ,or all, apply to some, if not all, local employers. I do think, though, that these conditions are not knew, not caused by COVID, but have been in the making for a number of years.

Young people today are just not interested in working a summer job. So, when they do enter the labor market, and their perspective employer asks them if they have any experience, they are at a loss for what to say. Most employers employing beginning workers aren't expecting to hire a trained person, but they do hope to hire someone who has some level of experience in just being an employee.

Sadly, that's not happening. Because of this circumstance, some employees are finding themselves caught in an unpleasant dynamic wherein they have education, but no experience, only can find an entry-level job, but, have real-world expenses that an entry-level job won't cover. At some point in time the government bail outs will stop and then hard, cold reality will kick in.

My advice to someone looking for a job - take whatever comes along and do your best, and keep moving up from there.

Agreed--it's not just covid, but that's an easy thing to point to, especially as it it very quickly. The other things under discussion, as you note, have been gradual.

For young folks looking for experience for their resume: my first job out of school, I worked for my uncle. He's still hiring, men and women. Training of all sorts, clothing, food and housing allowance. College tuition and health plans unmatched. 30 days vacation--not this two weeks to start and earn more. When I was ready to leave and the job market was thin, he repeatedly hired me back as an instructor for 25 days at a time. A very kind employer, in my experience, and well regarded on my resume.

MotorHead 05-08-2021 04:43 PM

So we went to Jon's Roast Beef for lunch today, delicious as always.
Fully staffed, gentlemen at the register must have been 65+, good for him.
Waitress was in her 30's. (I am trying to make a point here, get it - No kids)

How is it that some places find employees and others can't.

joey2665 05-08-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355003)
So we went to John's Roast Beef for lunch today, delicious as always.

Fully staffed, gentlemen at the register must have been 65+, good for him.

Waitress was in her 30's. (I am trying to make a point here, get it)

How is it that some places find employees and others can't.

My ex works at Jon’s part time at the register . She loves it there people are extremely nice pay is good not great but well over minimum wage.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

swnoel 05-10-2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 354974)

You made a generalized statement about kitchen workers and I only asked where you got your data from and was interested.

Heaven 05-10-2021 07:20 PM

I understand that some hotels around the lake are going to extended stay options because they haven't the staff to do the room turnovers daily.

Biggd 05-10-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven (Post 355103)
I understand that some hotels around the lake are going to extended stay options because they haven't the staff to do the room turnovers daily.

Won't be long before hotel room clean ups will be self service. :emb:

phoenix 05-11-2021 08:45 AM

i haven't stayed a lot over last couple of years but when I have there has been no room service. If you want towels you call up and they leave outside your door. they only cleaned rooms between guests

Shreddy 05-11-2021 10:53 AM

Don't forget that the bulk of discussion revolves around Gen Z and even millennials who all but rely on social media. Instagram and TikTok have provided a platform for much of these generations to focus. Becoming an influencer with many followers whether it be Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, OF, etc. can pay crazy and I mean CRAZY amounts of money.

I'll also say with social media such as reddit, some of these kids are getting inherently smarter/educated (if you want to disagree, fine), but understand that they're the one's popping meme stocks and making THOUSANDS by undermining the market as well. There's a reason they're called Meme stocks. Point is, they're learning things far more important than certain things a classroom will ever teach them. No, not all get it and many will lose, but do some research and understand that they're not all just looking for handouts (yes, there are many that are too) just looking for a different way to work more efficiently to make more money than old school manual labor.

rsmlp 05-11-2021 11:34 AM

bidding war

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 354626)
True...no one is even applying for jobs that pay $15 and up.
No one in the business that I know of is offering $7.25....it's almost a bidding war in the industry

How about raising your prices accordingly and see what happens? Price of EVERYTHING way up this year. Might as well include a great dinner at VK! Besides if you raise prices say 15% it's still a "wicked bahgain".

ApS 05-11-2021 12:25 PM

Russian Hackers with Ransomware...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 355120)
How about raising your prices accordingly and see what happens? Price of EVERYTHING way up this year. Might as well include a great dinner at VK! Besides if you raise prices say 15% it's still a "wicked bahgain".

Some gas stations have run out of gasoline already.
Makes commuting less attractive.

MotorHead 05-11-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 354626)
True...no one is even applying for jobs that pay $15 and up.
No one in the business that I know of is offering $7.25....it's almost a bidding war in the industry

I know nothing about restaurant business, I have never owned one, would never start one. Best of luck to you and all others.

I am just trying to compare your comments to what I saw in Sawyers and Jon's roast beef the other day. How is it that they can find adults/kids to work at their place where others can not. Just curious.

joey2665 05-11-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355122)
I know nothing about restaurant business, I have never owned one, would never start one. Best of luck to you and all others.

I am just trying to compare your comments to what I saw in Sawyers and Jon's roast beef the other day. How is it that they can find adults/kids to work at their place where others can not. Just curious.

If you follow back you will see the issue really isnt wait staff but kitchen staff. I do know, because my ex works at Jon's, that the "kitchen help" there is mainly family and more preparation than cooking like in a restaurant.

tis 05-11-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355122)

I would be willing to bet they are short of help too. I don't know if there is any business in any industry that is full staffed. It is terrible to get qualified help no matter the pay.

MotorHead 05-11-2021 01:14 PM

I found this interesting article on CNN

Restaurant workers say industry is facing a wage shortage, not a labor shortage

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/econo...ps/index.html/

Biggd 05-11-2021 01:41 PM

Well we all know CNN leans far left and fox leans far right so I'm sure the answer is somehwere in the middle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355125)
I found this interesting article on CNN

Restaurant workers say industry is facing a wage shortage, not a labor shortage

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/econo...ps/index.html/

thinkxingu 05-11-2021 02:04 PM

NPR went deep into this yesterday and claimed three reasons for people not returning to work: 1. Low wages and/or hours/flexibility—that the closures through the pandemic opened people's eyes to their situations. They gave people with children who struggled to pay for childcare as the prime example. 2. Remaining fear—people with health issues or who remain unvaccinated are still hesitant to return. 3. People using this opportunity to investigate different paths forward.

Seaplane Pilot 05-11-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 355127)
NPR went deep into this yesterday and claimed three reasons for people not returning to work: 1. Low wages and/or hours/flexibility—that the closures through the pandemic opened people's eyes to their situations. They gave people with children who struggled to pay for childcare as the prime example. 2. Remaining fear—people with health issues or who remain unvaccinated are still hesitant to return. 3. People using this opportunity to investigate different paths forward.

# 4 = laziness / feeding at the government trough. But NPR won’t go that far.

thinkxingu 05-11-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 355139)
# 4 = laziness / feeding at the government trough. But NPR won’t go that far.

They cited a few reports that said that even though people want to believe that narrative, it's not what they found on the whole.

We know where you stand with confirmation bias, so it probably doesn't matter, but these reports are based on facts and data:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/04/rese...g-to-work.html

https://tobin.yale.edu/sites/default...tion_vF(1).pdf

thinkxingu 05-11-2021 06:18 PM

And in case you don't feel like reading the Yale study:

"We find that that the workers who experi-

enced larger increases in UI generosity did not experience larger declines in employment when

the benefits expansion went into effect. Additionally, we find that workers facing larger ex-

pansions in UI benefits have returned to their previous jobs over time at similar rates as others."

Sue Doe-Nym 05-11-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 355140)
They cited a few reports that said that even though people want to believe that narrative, it's not what they found on the whole.

We know where you stand with confirmation bias, so it probably doesn't matter, but these reports are based on facts and data:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/04/rese...g-to-work.html

https://tobin.yale.edu/sites/default...tion_vF(1).pdf

I believe that it’s necessary to consider the reports “based on facts and data” with a healthy dose of skepticism. Sad to say, I believe that we are being given incomplete information and half truths. It gives me zero satisfaction to say this, and it’s painful to realize that this is undoubtedly widespread.
P.S. I don’t believe that your #3 has merit; people should not be rediscovering themselves at taxpayer expense!

Seaplane Pilot 05-11-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 355141)
And in case you don't feel like reading the Yale study:

"We find that that the workers who experi-

enced larger increases in UI generosity did not experience larger declines in employment when

the benefits expansion went into effect. Additionally, we find that workers facing larger ex-

pansions in UI benefits have returned to their previous jobs over time at similar rates as others."

Yale study….is this unbiased? :rolleye1:The chickens are on the move now, and will soon be coming home to roost. Food, lumber and now fuel prices are headed to the moon. Anyone that wants to work is working, for the most part. The rest of them are sitting around making excuses as to why they don’t want to or “can’t” work, based on today’s climate.

SAMIAM 05-12-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 355143)
Yale study….is this unbiased? :rolleye1:The chickens are on the move now, and will soon be coming home to roost. Food, lumber and now fuel prices are headed to the moon. Anyone that wants to work is working, for the most part. The rest of them are sitting around making excuses as to why they don’t want to or “can’t” work, based on today’s climate.

Just wanted to elaborate on Seaplanes comment about food prices.
Our suppliers are saying they've never seen anything like it.
They can not fill orders for chicken,cooking oils such as canola have tripled in price.Shucked clams and lobster meat are double last years prices.Some red meats have nearly doubled and any products related to corn will be scarce and expensive due to loss of crops in South America from drought.
At least fish has not gone through the roof yet.......guess it's just the times we're in.

Seaplane Pilot 05-12-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 355149)
Just wanted to elaborate on Seaplanes comment about food prices.
Our suppliers are saying they've never seen anything like it.
They can not fill orders for chicken,cooking oils such as canola have tripled in price.Shucked clams and lobster meat are double last years prices.Some red meats have nearly doubled and any products related to corn will be scarce and expensive due to loss of crops in South America from drought.
At least fish has not gone through the roof yet.......guess it's just the times we're in.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m starting to feel like the frog in the “boil the frog” parable…. The water is getting warmer by the day!

MotorHead 05-12-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 355143)

How did we get into this mess?
Who made the stupid decisions to get us into this inflation.

Maybe someone can provide answers.

fatlazyless 05-12-2021 07:56 AM

Local restaurants, just like everyone else, get high quality - low prices by making the drive to Market Basket in Plymouth and loading up the car/suv/pickup.

Like ...... quality food supply is quality food supply ..... so, why not and a good restaurant meal is all about the food preparation and presentation. No one really seems to care where the restaurant supply came from ...... whether it was delivered by www.Sysco.com or purchased at http://www.shopmarketbasket.com/stor...rket-basket-86.

Seaplane Pilot 05-12-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355153)
How did we get into this mess?
Who made the stupid decisions to get us into this inflation.

Maybe someone can provide answers.

That is an excellent question.

MotorHead 05-12-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 355154)
Local restaurants, just like everyone else, get high quality - low prices by making the drive to Market Basket in Plymouth and loading up the car/suv/pickup.

Like ...... quality food supply is quality food supply ..... so, why not and a good restaurant meal is all about the food preparation and presentation. No one really seems to care where the restaurant supply came from ...... whether it was delivered by www.Sysco.com or purchased at http://www.shopmarketbasket.com/stor...rket-basket-86.

While I know nothing about running a restaurant or even a sub shop, I can not imagine a restaurant owner going to Market Basket or Shaws or wherever.

phoenix 05-12-2021 10:10 AM

always find it interesting but not surprising that many economist will find a study that will support their ideology ( Paul Krugman is an example) . There are a record number of job opening over 8m right now. As SAMIAM said kitchen help can make 15 per hour working or 15 per hour not . Most people will make the logical decision . Business will have to make the rational decision which the VK did that is close for dinner. They know their customers and raising prices by a lot will drive customers away. By the way I am a graduate economist( certainly not bragging ) and very few economist have ever had to manage a payroll.