Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dockside (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26148)

ishoot308 08-02-2020 07:12 PM

Dockside

Four of us went by boat to the Dockside restaurant in Alton Bay last night. Food was fantastic and portions were big! Service was also excellent! We were entertained by a fantastic guitar player, Tim Theriault.

It was a beautiful, calm, full moon boat ride home to Welch Island!

We will definitely return!

Kudos to the Dockside!

Dan

8gv 08-02-2020 07:20 PM

Where did you dock to go to Dockside?

upthesaukee 08-02-2020 07:25 PM

Alton Public docks

Dock at the Alton Public Docks and then walk over to the Dockside restaurant. About a 5 minute walk or so.

Bonus: Stop at Stillwell's for ice cream on the way back to the boat.

Dave

8gv 08-02-2020 07:27 PM

Walking, as in using one's feet to go somewhere.

Is that still done?;)

upthesaukee 08-02-2020 07:29 PM

Uber

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 340477)

Is that still done?;)

Maybe the Alton Uber could give you a Lyft, if it wouldn't be too taxi-ng on the wallet. :cool:

Dave

ishoot308 08-02-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 340476)
Bonus: Stop at Stillwell's for ice cream on the way back to the boat.

Dave

Ha ha! We did that on the way back! It was great and the portions are Ridiculously huge!

Dan

Rich 08-03-2020 06:54 AM

We've been a few times this year! It's very good, and they have had some good music on a Friday night also.

Descant 08-03-2020 10:15 AM

Walking

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 340477)

Is that still done?;)

Actually, No. It's just a feet-ure of speech. OK, OK. They can't all be winners.

thinkxingu 08-27-2020 02:35 PM

Friends! You probs all know how big a fan of Pop's I am, well today we had occasion to drive to south Wolfeboro and, in looking for a new restaurant to grab lunch, decided on Dockside.

It. Was. AWESOME. The best fried seafood I've had in a very, very long time—maybe ever. My kids' mozzarella sticks and my wife's burger were also highly rated.

I'm so glad we gave this a shot—next time y'all are around, give it a go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 08-27-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 342569)
Friends! You probs all know how big a fan of Pop's I am, well today we had occasion to drive to south Wolfeboro and, in looking for a new restaurant to grab lunch, decided on Dockside.

It. Was. AWESOME. The best fried seafood I've had in a very, very long time—maybe ever. My kids' mozzarella sticks and my wife's burger were also highly rated.

I'm so glad we gave this a shot—next time y'all are around, give it a go!

Is that the one in Alton Bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-27-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 342572)
Is that the one in Alton Bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Yes, right across the bridge from the public docks.

Oh, and the pricing is very reasonable!

barefootbay 08-27-2020 05:52 PM

I thought you were in Wolfeboro? There is a dockside in a Wolfeboro too .

thinkxingu 08-27-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 342596)
I thought you were in Wolfeboro? There is a dockside in a Wolfeboro too .

There is, but this is the new place in Alton. Says it in the first comment, but that was a while ago. Sorry for the confusion.

thinkxingu 08-29-2020 01:50 PM

Oh! And I forgot to mention that my wife said the coleslaw was awesome!

Formula260SS 08-29-2020 04:40 PM

We ate there last Sunday night and thought it was really pretty good. The bill was very reasonable. We'll go back

Slickcraft 05-25-2021 06:57 PM

New summer menu:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/984...=1621879580454

thinkxingu 05-25-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 356041)

Whoa! The Live Free or Fry went from ~$26 to $34. Looks like we're back to Pop's full time instead of spreading the wealth.

Have ALL the prices gone up?!

Slickcraft 05-26-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 356042)
Whoa! The Live Free or Fry went from ~$26 to $34. Looks like we're back to Pop's full time instead of spreading the wealth.

Have ALL the prices gone up?!

No, many are the same including $19 for the salmon dinner that I had yesterday.

In general restaurant prices will have to increase. There is a shortage of help so wages will have to increase in order to attract good workers and the cost of supplies has gone up.

thinkxingu 05-26-2021 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 356053)
No, many are the same including $19 for the salmon dinner that I had yesterday.

In general restaurant prices will have to increase. There is a shortage of help so wages will have to increase in order to attract good workers and the cost of supplies has gone up.

I'm not sure when exactly the prices increased, but here's an older menu.

I'm expecting prices to increase a bit, but that's 30%. Pop's seafood plate looks like it's the same or less than a dollar increase over last year.Attachment 17010

hilltopper 05-26-2021 07:18 AM

Compare items...

If you look at the new menu you'll see they added RI clam cakes to the Live Free or Fry meal. I'm sure this accounts for some of the prices increase.

XCR-700 05-26-2021 07:45 AM

Prices are going up everywhere, and businesses have no choice but to pass it along.

I seriously doubt there will be any slow down in inflation for a while. Politics and fear and draconian responses to the pandemic have created countless problems.

I recently saw 2 x 4 selling for just under $10, when the last one I bought was $2.77. Gasoline went up 80 cents in 2 months and is still climbing. So this all must impact the food industry.

thinkxingu 05-26-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 356056)
If you look at the new menu you'll see they added RI clam cakes to the Live Free or Fry meal. I'm sure this accounts for some of the prices increase.

Hmmm...you may be right. I remember being surprised to find them on my plate one of the last times I visited. I'd gladly hold the cakes to save eight beans.

Seaplane Pilot 05-26-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 356059)
Prices are going up everywhere, and businesses have no choice but to pass it along.

I seriously doubt there will be any slow down in inflation for a while. Politics and fear and draconian responses to the pandemic have created countless problems.

I recently saw 2 x 4 selling for just under $10, when the last one I bought was $2.77. Gasoline went up 80 cents in 2 months and is still climbing. So this all must impact the food industry.

Spot on. In addition, people have to realize that this may be the owner's only source of income. After all expenses, including State of NH Business Enterprise Tax, Business Profits Tax, and Federal Income Tax, the restaurant owner may have a few crumbs left to put food on his own table. With the path we're currently on, it's only going to get worse before it gets better. People that can't afford, or don't want to pay these inevitable restaurant price increases better develop a taste for Taco Bell.

Slickcraft 05-26-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 356060)
Hmmm...you may be right. I remember being surprised to find them on my plate one of the last times I visited. I'd gladly hold the cakes to save eight beans.

Yeah that would probably be way to much for you to eat anyway:D

BTW, we don't consider the Dockside as competition to Pop's. If you want fried clams around here you go to Pop's. The Dockside is sit down and be waited on for a nice meal and a craft beer.

thinkxingu 05-26-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 356072)
Yeah that would probably be way to much for you to eat anyway:D

BTW, we don't consider the Dockside as competition to Pop's. If you want fried clams around here you go to Pop's. The Dockside is sit down and be waited on for a nice meal and a craft beer.

Ummmm...yeah, totally too much.
In all honesty, last time I thought "gee, I'm kinda too full to eat those things..." and then ate one.

They're both sit-down for me, one while stopping at the docks for lunch, the other for when we drive around the lake.

Mr. V 05-27-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
People that can't afford, or don't want to pay these inevitable restaurant price increases better develop a taste for Taco Bell.

Taco Bell?

Perish the thought.

No, just kick up your cooking game a bit and eat at home.

Try something new just to keep things interesting.

Rinkerguy 05-28-2021 04:31 PM

Used to love the menu, food and service at old Dockside.
New Dockside looks much better, but that’s where it ends. Menu is different, portion sizes are much smaller for $$$ and service sucks.

Plenty of better places to eat, I done with them!!!

thinkxingu 05-28-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinkerguy (Post 356180)
Used to love the menu, food and service at old Dockside.
New Dockside looks much better, but that’s where it ends. Menu is different, portion sizes are much smaller for $$$ and service sucks.

Plenty of better places to eat, I done with them!!!

Really?! How long do you think this has been going on? The last time we were there, in fall, it was awesome.

thinkxingu 09-03-2021 08:10 PM

I'm sorry to report that I think I'm done with Dockside. I posted some time ago about a bum experience with my brother and, since then, I've been back three times. Two were for lunch and ok, but tonight's dinner was very average. The Live Free or Fry used to blow me away, but it's very much lost its luster and, for $34, it no longer works. The next step down—pick two at $24—sounds reasonable, but for a couple bucks more (overall less when calculating tip), I'll go to Pop's for the extra two additions.

I liked having a sit-down/interior alternative to Pop's, but I'll be looking elsewhere for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thinkxingu 10-15-2022 02:25 PM

^ Still this. Gave it another try today, just over a year later.

$39 for the Live Free or Fry, which no longer comes with crab cakes. 3 scallops, 3 medium shrimp, 3 haddock pieces, and a few small belly clams.

Sad face.

* Edited to add: my friends got the haddock sandwich, which was still solid.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

winniwannabe 10-15-2022 02:58 PM

Think, u need to tell them that you're writing a column for some media outlet. Bet you get better service and all the clam cakes you can eat!:laugh:

winniwannabe 10-15-2022 03:01 PM

crab cakes. maybe they'll throw clam cakes in ,too:laugh:

thinkxingu 10-15-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniwannabe (Post 377558)
crab cakes. maybe they'll throw clam cakes in ,too[emoji23]

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

The service was very slow, but I'm totally cool with that—I feel the same about eating out as I do about boating: I'm there to chill.

Lackluster food/value, though? That's no bueno.

Rinkerguy 10-21-2022 01:45 PM

Went there twice for dinner this yet. Both nights were slow, and service was even slower. Food was terrible. Two strikes and they r out. Never going back, new owners suck. Don’t waste your money there!!!

thinkxingu 10-21-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinkerguy (Post 377786)
Went there twice for dinner this yet. Both nights were slow, and service was even slower. Food was terrible. Two strikes and they r out. Never going back, new owners suck. Don’t waste your money there!!!

New owners? From when?

Outdoorsman 10-21-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 377555)
^ Still this. Gave it another try today, just over a year later.

$39 for the Live Free or Fry, which no longer comes with crab cakes. 3 scallops, 3 medium shrimp, 3 haddock pieces, and a few small belly clams.

Sad face.

* Edited to add: my friends got the haddock sandwich, which was still solid.

That sounds like an awesome plate of food at a great value! I will check them out! Hopefully they do not waste a ton of money on giving you an over abundance of french fries that every customer tosses out

ishoot308 10-21-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

New owners?….since when? I went at least a half dozen times this summer and as recent as three weeks ago. Every time we were there food was very good and service was good considering how busy they were every time there!

This is why I hate the restaurant review forum on this site! Anyone with a grudge can literally try and ruin the business of hard working people!

I have never and will never give a restaurant a bad review here or on any other public forum as food and service is so individually personalized.

If I don’t like a place I simply won’t go back…no need to go on public forum and try to ruin them…that is just mean spirited in my opinion especially during these trying times….

Dan

Slickcraft 10-21-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

The Dockside is part of our regular eating out rotation. For us both the food and service has been very good. And we like their Red Sky ale. My you are cranky.

Alan