Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boat Gas Tax Refunds Delay (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28774)

thinkxingu 05-20-2023 09:37 AM

Boat Gas Tax Refunds Delay

Just a note for those who haven't yet seen their '22 boat gas tax refunds that I called yesterday and was told they are wayyyyyyyy understaffed and behind.

I mailed mine the first week of January (having had it rejected in the past when mailed in December) and they have received and scanned it but it's not been finalized yet for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

CTYankee 05-20-2023 04:21 PM

Tax Refunds

When Government owes a tax refund it's okay to play the understaffed card. When a citizen owes the Government just try and tell then that you are way understaffed and can't pay on time.

lakershaker 05-22-2023 03:00 PM

thanks - was just starting my receipt pile for '23 and realized I hadn't received '22 check yet. Was going to ask the forum!

Descant 05-23-2023 11:45 AM

I believe the legislature underfunds Marine Patrol and Milfoil control. It's not a lot of money, but I check the boxes that direct my refund to Navigation Safety Fund and Lake Preservation. These are tax deductible donations.

TiltonBB 05-23-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 383665)
I believe the legislature underfunds Marine Patrol and Milfoil control. It's not a lot of money, but I check the boxes that direct my refund to Navigation Safety Fund and Lake Preservation. These are tax deductible donations.

Those departments have nothing to do with the gas tax refund. That is handled by the Division of Administration, Road Toll Bureau. Those departments are under the general heading Department of Safety but the Road Toll Bureau is separate from the Marine Patrol.

John Mercier 05-23-2023 06:12 PM

Descant is talking about the claim form.
It has check boxes to donate the money to those two.

ishoot308 05-23-2023 07:16 PM

Thumbs Up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 383665)

That is a very nice gesture Descant! Kudos to you!

Dan

tis 05-24-2023 04:18 AM

I guess I donate ours too because I don't even bother with the gas tax refund any more.

I.C.Isles 05-24-2023 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 383682)
I guess I donate ours too because I don't even bother with the gas tax refund any more.

So if you don’t submit forms …. does tax automatically go into a marine fund instead of highway fund if gas is bought on a lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

BroadHopper 05-24-2023 06:19 AM

My understanding

According to a state representative, fill out the form. If the refund is $10 and under, check one of the boxes and the refund goes to the appropriate fund.
Otherwise, it goes to the general fund.

tis 05-24-2023 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I.C.Isles (Post 383683)
So if you don’t submit forms …. does tax automatically go into a marine fund instead of highway fund if gas is bought on a lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Who knows where it goes? Does any of our taxes actually go into what it is supposed to? But it would be interesting to know if anything IS done with it. I doubt it.

Rich 08-25-2023 01:21 PM

FYI, It's now August 25 and I called and asked about this today.

I received the same answer, essentially "we're understaffed and still working on the pile of applications that we have".

They confirmed that mine was scanned and in the system. I told them no worries, I was glad to hear mines not lost, and I hope they can finish the pile before next year's applications start rolling in.

Be patient!

John Mercier 08-25-2023 02:07 PM

Gas taxes are sent to the Highway Fund.
If you submit forms, the money is pulled from that fund.

If you do not submit forms, a specified amount per registration is sent to the fund for the appropriate application.

Recreational trail vehicles unrefunded portions go to BoT and F&G 50/50 estimated at 100 gallons per registration. For marine, not sure of the gallon estimate, but I believe - as has been - the unrefunded portions go to F&G.

jazzman 08-26-2023 07:13 PM

They have enough staff to create a law that PHEV and EV cars have to pay extra to register now to make up lost gas tax revenue :-) Guess NH if officially a red state now. We'll never drive our PHEV enough in a year to make up the extra registration fees. NH is the first NE/mid-atlantic state to discourage EV cars.

John Mercier 08-26-2023 07:49 PM

I didn't think we had a premium on registration for EV.

jazzman 08-27-2023 09:37 AM

Newly passed law. $100 extra to register an EV and $50 extra for a PHEV.

Texas is $600 the 1st year and $200 in the following years. It's crazy that red vs blue has invaded so much of life now.

Garcia 08-27-2023 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzman (Post 387172)
They have enough staff to create a law that PHEV and EV cars have to pay extra to register now to make up lost gas tax revenue :-) Guess NH if officially a red state now. We'll never drive our PHEV enough in a year to make up the extra registration fees. NH is the first NE/mid-atlantic state to discourage EV cars.

If the gas tax is in place to help pay for roads and bridges, what is the best way to account for EVs? Or should we not bother?

John Mercier 08-27-2023 11:50 AM

I never paid attention.

It is a bit odd, as the electric companies are providing rebates to switch.

How much did the statue suggest that the highway fund would gain in NH as a result?

DPatnaude 08-27-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 387194)
If the gas tax is in place to help pay for roads and bridges, what is the best way to account for EVs? Or should we not bother?

For states with annual inspections that record the vehicle mileage, vehicle miles traveled is the fairest way to supplement the gas tax and maintain roadway funding.

John Mercier 08-27-2023 02:03 PM

It was a few years ago, so my memory is vague... but I think the NHTLOA and SFPNHF was opposed to that idea.

Descant 08-28-2023 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPatnaude (Post 387199)
For states with annual inspections that record the vehicle mileage, vehicle miles traveled is the fairest way to supplement the gas tax and maintain roadway funding.

That taxes people twice if they only drive on local roads that are paid for by local property tax. Gas tax does that too.

John Mercier 08-28-2023 04:43 PM

The State refunds gas taxes to the localities based on miles of road.

Senter Cove Guy 01-03-2024 12:07 PM

2022 Gas Tax Refund

Just called about this today as I still don't have my 2022 refund back yet. They started by telling me that they never received it but that fairly quickly turned into "it was approved last month and I should be receiving a check soon".

Anyone else still waiting?

thinkxingu 01-03-2024 03:22 PM

I'm not, but it took a call for them to get it moving after waiting until April or something last year.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

smith point boater 01-04-2024 07:23 AM

Delay

Just got mine in November - 5-6 months late. Thought it was me because they had returned my original form for a correction in April. Nice surprise at the time for Xmas though

AC2717 01-04-2024 09:11 AM

I sent mine in back beginning of November and received the refund back last week

tummyman 01-04-2024 01:11 PM

They received mine last year 2 days after the April 15th date and sent me a letter that I was too late and they had destroyed the data. I was not hpaay....mailed my data for 2023 yesterday. We'll see how it goes this year.