Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacement trailer winch strap (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28370)

bobkatfly 10-01-2022 08:38 AM

Replacement trailer winch strap

Just noticed my winch strap is a bit frayed at the hook end. Mostly UV exposure. The winch itself is fine. Any recommendations on a decent strap replacement? From what I've seen polyester is the go-to for strength and minimum stretch. Also, a forged hook would be nice but maybe not essential.
Strap is standard 2" x 20 ft and boat is typical 21 ft bowrider ~4000 lb. Shoreline, Rhino, Fulton, Boat Buckle, others????
Thanks

thinkxingu 10-01-2022 09:07 AM

A note: I bought a couple new ones off Amazon that are really nice, BUT they're "heavy-duty," which means they're thicker than what was on there and, to use them, I had to cut them way down because the bolt on the arm that holds the winch was cutting into them.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

The Real BigGuy 10-01-2022 09:20 AM

I would stick with polyester. It is soft, strong, doesn’t stretch, and doesn’t absorb water. Because a boat is considered a rolling load and you probably have bunkie boards or rollers on your trailer you only need a strap rated for 2,000/2,500 lbs. That said, when replaced the strap on my 4,000 lb boat I put a 10,000 lb strap on. It was cheap in the overall cost of boating and it just made me feel a lot more comfortable. I don’t remember the brand but I got it on Amazon. It had the most & highest ratings compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bobkatfly 10-01-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 377118)
A note: I bought a couple new ones off Amazon that are really nice, BUT they're "heavy-duty," which means they're thicker than what was on there and, to use them, I had to cut them way down because the bolt on the arm that holds the winch was cutting into them.

Curious, how did you cut them down? Did you cut off the winch end loop and re-stitch?

thinkxingu 10-01-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 377126)
Curious, how did you cut them down? Did you cut off the winch end loop and re-stitch?

I cut the loop at the end that wraps around the bolt on the inside and sewed a new loop.

bobkatfly 10-01-2022 03:08 PM

Ended up with Rod Saver brand at Amazon. Spent too much time thinking about it. Too many choices. 16 footer instead of 20 but not important for what I do. When I unwrapped the old one I think about 15 feet of it looked new. Should have brought it to Think to do his seamstress magic on it.

thinkxingu 10-01-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 377128)
Ended up with Rod Saver brand at Amazon. Spent too much time thinking about it. Too many choices. 16 footer instead of 20 but not important for what I do. When I unwrapped the old one I think about 15 feet of it looked new. Should have brought it to Think to do his seamstress magic on it.

I assure you it is not seamstress level quality, but it works!

Dave R 10-02-2022 10:39 AM

You can just cut the worn end off and tie a bowline knot in the strap to attach the hook.

bobkatfly 10-03-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 377167)
You can just cut the worn end off and tie a bowline knot in the strap to attach the hook.

Thanks Dave. That would definitely work in a pinch if needed. Ratchet straps that I keep in the truck would also take care of it till I got home if it did break while loading.
New one is inexpensive and already purchased.

ITD 10-04-2022 03:55 PM

I'm late to the party on this one, but I usually look to Harbor Freight or Tractor supply for things like this. Glad you found something.