Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Virus Expert Just Said These States in Trouble (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27618)

LoveLakeLife 12-03-2021 10:36 PM

I agree Flying. If a number of people did indeed get sick, then they got sick. No one died. Life is risky. Thankfully we can try to outweigh the risk with reward. Here’s to people congregating in person and on the forum. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

John Mercier 12-03-2021 11:38 PM

But we don't get to manage our own risk, it gets done for us in countless ways.

trfour 12-04-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 364927)
But we don't get to manage our own risk, it gets done for us in countless ways.

He gave a few great examples of what people can do before Christmastime.

https://www.today.com/health/health/...idays-rcna7627

John Mercier 12-04-2021 05:11 PM

I meant the collective nature of our society.
A lot of them are screaming about independence and personal freedom, almost sounding like a corporation that wants to privatize the profits and socialize the costs.

When costs in society rise briskly... society strikes back.
At a certain point, our Governor is going to go from being concerned to actually scared. It will not hit the legislators as quickly, they don't have as much information... or even the ability to absorb it intellectually.

Those socialized costs in Medicare, Medicaid (50% owed by the State), Veterans medical care, and every government worker from the federal/State/local level having increased medical insurance premiums.

Those all require tax dollars.

trfour 12-04-2021 05:24 PM

Today's numbers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/le...edgdhp&pc=U531

mswlogo 12-05-2021 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 364943)

Holy ****. 1 out of every 289 residents dead in some states.

Yeah just a F’n flu.

trfour 12-05-2021 08:17 AM

Update

https://www.wmur.com/nowcast

Newbiesaukee 12-05-2021 09:51 AM

Too much we still don’t know.

A few days ago, we had an almost cordial discussion about an Atlantic article, pointing out that school openings seemed to be going well (with mitigation efforts) and no serious Covid problems. Then yesterday or the day before an article on NHPR about what industries are driving the uptick in NH and a graph and the article using NH data attributed the current spike almost exclusively to school spread. Not nursing homes, not jails, not other industries or sites.

Stay tuned.

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2021 10:13 AM

Yes. The uptick in numbers here in NH are a result of the states successful testing protocols. The positive numbers were always here, just not identified. Now everyone has access to a home test kits delivered for free thought the state. However, did you know many schools and businesses refuse to accept negative results from the free home test kit. Will accept your positive results, but not a negative. Want to give the Governor his dues for getting these tests out, but if schools or work won’t accept it’s results what are we left with. Just more waste

thinkxingu 12-05-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 364959)
Yes. The uptick in numbers here in NH are a result of the states successful testing protocols. The positive numbers were always here, just not identified. Now everyone has access to a home test kits delivered for free thought the state. However, did you know many schools and businesses refuse to accept negative results from the free home test kit. Will accept your positive results, but not a negative. Want to give the Governor his dues for getting these tests out, but if schools or work won’t accept it’s results what are we left with. Just more waste

I believe most schools in MA have "test and stay" models—is that not the same for NH?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tummyman 12-05-2021 10:30 AM

What bugs me is that we all hear from the White House, Fauci, et al that we need to be vaccinated and get the booster. Ok, I get that. NH says get hte booster. But the entire process is left to a few sites with ZERO dates and times available. I have not heard NH is restarting the mass vaccination sites for booster. Remember, it takes as long to get a booster as it does a full shot. So now we are faced with a need to boost, but nothing being done to accelerate the process. Pharmacies are doing maybe 4 shots per hour....in 8 hours that is 32 +/-. Look around...there are not many sites. We will never get there at this rate. Where are the LEADERS???????? All I hear is baloney.

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 364962)
What bugs me is that we all hear from the White House, Fauci, et al that we need to be vaccinated and get the booster. Ok, I get that. NH says get hte booster. But the entire process is left to a few sites with ZERO dates and times available. I have not heard NH is restarting the mass vaccination sites for booster. Remember, it takes as long to get a booster as it does a full shot. So now we are faced with a need to boost, but nothing being done to accelerate the process. Pharmacies are doing maybe 4 shots per hour....in 8 hours that is 32 +/-. Look around...there are not many sites. We will never get there at this rate. Where are the LEADERS???????? All I hear is baloney.

Can’t agree more. Let me add the states booster blitz in NH is scheduled for Dec 11? 10k shots total. Why are we waiting two more weeks if this is such a threat? Also, over the past month Sununu has asked us all to get the important booster now. But, he has not. He told us all this past week he is waiting for the blitz. So deadly so important why is he waiting until then? Just asking a few questions over coffee

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 364961)
I believe most schools in MA have "test and stay" models—is that not the same for NH?

Each school district in NH handles cases differently. One example is Merrimack won’t except the at home results test. Bedford will. Same test.

FlyingScot 12-05-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Here's the large site program you're looking for, with sites in Laconia, Rochester, et al: https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-and...-booster-sites

Also, make sure to Google your local pharmacy. My booster at CVS took just a few days to schedule and a few minutes to receive. Just that one store was doing 300/day!

FlyingScot 12-05-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 364965)
Each school district in NH handles cases differently. One example is Merrimack won’t except the at home results test. Bedford will. Same test.

Charlie Baker reported last week that the testing Think describes is working extremely well, and has saved 140,000 "sick days" for kids in Mass (maybe that's 20,000 kids tested negative who would have each missed 7 days of school?)

Billy Bob 12-05-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 364964)
Can’t agree more. Let me add the states booster blitz in NH is scheduled for Dec 11? 10k shots total. Why are we waiting two more weeks if this is such a threat? Also, over the past month Sununu has asked us all to get the important booster now. But, he has not. He told us all this past week he is waiting for the blitz. So deadly so important why is he waiting until then? Just asking a few questions over coffee

I thought this delay in availability was exaggerated. I just tried all the pharmacy’s in the lakes region and it is WORSE then you stated . First on line appointment was the 18 th ! That’s nuts ! You can get one Tuesday if you drive down to Nashua . Here in Florida I can walk into any Publix and get one right away.
You are getting the short end of this one !

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 364969)
Charlie Baker reported last week that the testing Think describes is working extremely well, and has saved 140,000 "sick days" for kids in Mass (maybe that's 20,000 kids tested negative who would have each missed 7 days of school?)

Agree, however here in NH as I noted earlier, many school systems won’t accept your negative home test results. Must be verified from a acceptable lab. Which means another swap and wait time

John Mercier 12-05-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 364964)

Deadly for those that do not have the initial vaccination. For those with the initial vaccination, but not boosted, they are noting an uptick in hospitalization.
Hospitalizations are what get the government to react, as they have direct impact on their budgets.

They hear the private sector screaming about labor shortages... but that has so many factors out of their control that they have to just ignore them.

DickR 12-05-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

...Ok, I get that. NH says get hte booster. But the entire process is left to a few sites with ZERO dates and times available....So now we are faced with a need to boost, but nothing being done to accelerate the process. Pharmacies are doing maybe 4 shots per hour....in 8 hours that is 32 +/-....

Last Thursday, my wife and I looked online and called around. While (then) Hannaford Meredith said the earliest appointment would be Dec 18, the Meredith Rite Aid said they were doing walk-ins for an hour that day and 9-5 Friday. We got to the Rite Aid just after 9 on Friday, and already there were quite a number of people ahead of us. But we filled out the forms, provided the prior vax cards, and waited. I had brought a foldup chair for my wife and a book for me, in anticipation. After a while I followed the example of others who had upended those low, wheeled shopping baskets to use as a seat. It took us about two and a half hours, mostly waiting and reading, but we got it done.

At first it did seem that they were progressing slowly through the collection of people we knew were ahead of us, but then things really picked up. Before the time they got to ours, it seemed that they were doing one every five minutes or even faster, and that's about as long as it took for mine - go in, sit down, answer a couple of verifying questions, jab, bandaid, out. Five minutes would be 12/hr, or nearly 100 in an 8-hour day. This had to be tiring for the lady doing the shots, moving people through so quickly and over a long day, and we appreciated her efforts.

Still, to cover 10,000 people getting first, second, or booster shots in a day would take on the order of 100 such sites at one person doing the shot per site (plus support people to collect sheets, organize things, etc.), or 10 large effort sites with 10 jabbers each. Larger efforts likely would take more support people to manage the logistics, plus extra jabbers to give them regular breaks.

So, if you do decide to do a walk-in, and can find a site doing it, go early, bring a chair, and a good book.

codeman671 12-05-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

The pharmacies down here in Dover are doing a lot more than 4 per hour. They are pumping them out.

I did a walk-in last week at Rite-Aid, they take a limited amount daily between 2-3pm. Walked in at 1:45pm, signed up and was out the door by 2:05pm with my booster. She said take 15-30 walk-ins per day.

trfour 12-08-2021 10:27 AM

Connecticut

"Over 85% of the state's population has gotten at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to federal data. The "overwhelming majority" of those who are getting infected are unvaccinated, Lamont said. More severe cases are also largely in those who are unvaccinated; of those currently hospitalized, over 76% are not fully vaccinated, according to state data".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...edgdhp&pc=U531

Woodsy 12-08-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 365044)
Over 85% of the state's population has gotten at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to federal data. The "overwhelming majority" of those who are getting infected are unvaccinated, Lamont said. More severe cases are also largely in those who are unvaccinated; of those currently hospitalized, over 76% are not fully vaccinated, according to state data.

You spelled "24% of those currently hospitalized in CT with Covid are fully vaccinated despite the state having 72.9% of the population fully vaccinated." wrong.

Woodsy

thinkxingu 12-08-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 365047)
You spelled "24% of those currently hospitalized in CT with Covid are fully vaccinated despite the state having 72.9% of the population fully vaccinated." wrong.

Woodsy

If 100% of people were vaccinated, 100% of the hospitalizations would be vaccinated people.

Woodsy 12-08-2021 01:17 PM

Thats my point....

Its not a surprise to anyone that the majority of people in the hospital are unvaccinated... they use the 76% number as a scare tactic.

The important number is the 24% of the people in the hospital are fully vaxxed!

Currently CT has a population of 3.565M... of that population, 2.598M are vaccinated, so just under 1M (966,115) people are unvaxxed. They currently have 525 people hospitalized with Covid... so 126 of those are fully vaxxed!

Its easy to skew numbers to scare people...

Woodsy

Seaplane Pilot 12-08-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 365050)
Thats my point....

Its not a surprise to anyone that the majority of people in the hospital are unvaccinated... they use the 76% number as a scare tactic.

Currently CT has a population of 3.565M... of that population, 2.598M are vaccinated, so just under 1M (966,115) people are unvaxxed. They currently have 525 people hospitalized with Covid... so 126 of those are fully vaxxed!

Woodsy

It's always been about fear. An article came out 2 days ago entitled "COVID-19 - a Pandemic of Fear ‘Manufactured’ by Authorities: Yale Epidemiologist". Coincidently, Yale is in Connecticut.

thinkxingu 12-08-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 365052)
It's always been about fear. An article came out 2 days ago entitled "COVID-19 - a Pandemic of Fear ‘Manufactured’ by Authorities: Yale Epidemiologist". Coincidently, Yale is in Connecticut.

It looks like that quote was part of an Epoch Times interview, for anyone looking.

I mean, I think he's right, though I also think it wasn't as terrible as it sounds. We're approaching 800k deaths with incredible mitigation measures—what would that number be otherwise?

That being said, I've always thought there was a middle ground we were never able to achieve, not unlike our political state as a whole.

FlyingScot 12-08-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Thats my point....

Woodsy

I'm not sure that any of this scary to anybody, or why you think it's noteworthy that there are 126 vaxxed people in the hospital. The numbers in your post show that an unvaxxed person is about 8.5X more likely to end up in the hospital than a vaxxed person

John Mercier 12-08-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 365055)
I'm not sure that any of this scary to anybody, or why you think it's noteworthy that there are 126 vaxxed people in the hospital. The numbers in your post show that an unvaxxed person is about 8.5X more likely to end up in the hospital than a vaxxed person

Because it never hits home until the hospital bill comes due.

Woodsy 12-08-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 365055)

As was pointed out below.... I was schooled! My apologies

Woodsy

FlyingScot 12-08-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Thats my point....

Woodsy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 365066)
Because it is all about the math... and you must be doing that new math.... :laugh:

IF the numbers in CT are to be believed, on the surface it appears that vaxxed or unvaxxed, you have very similar chances of landing in the hospital.

CT population = 3.565M or 3,565,000
% Fully Vaxxed = 72.19% or 2.573.5M or 2,573,573.5
% Unvaxxed = 27.81% or .991M or 991,426
(No need to bring the 84.3% with at least 1 dose into the math)

525 people currently hospitalized in CT
399 (76%) of those hospitalized are fully vaccinated
126 (24%) of those hospitalized are unvaccinated

The math is very similar as far as your chances of hospitalization go... 76% of those hospitalized represent 72.2% of the population. 24% of those hospitalized represent 27.8% of the population. The numbers seem to indicate that despite being vaxxed, you have a slightly GREATER chance of hospitalization.

Woodsy

I don't mind people teasing me with laugh emojis, "new math", etc when I've made a mistake. That's all in good fun. But you've got a bit of egg on your face here.

If you read both of your posts again, you will see that you've flipped the numbers. In your first post you noted that 24% of the hospital patients are vaxxed, but in your second post, you say that 76% of hospital patients are vaxxed. Oops

If you do the math again using your original numbers, you will see they suggest an unvaxxed person is 8.5X as likely to end up in the hospital.

trfour 12-09-2021 12:43 PM

Covid-19 in Mass.

" "We, right now, have more patients in the hospital, overall, than we have had at either of the two peaks previously. You come in one day and you say this is the worst we've ever seen it and you come back the next day and it's even worse. This is very concerning, what's going on right now," UMass Memorial Health Care President and CEO Dr. Eric Dickson told during an interview ABC News Wednesday."

trfour 12-09-2021 01:05 PM

For now,

These 6 States Have Half of All COVID Hospitalizations in the U.S.

trfour 12-10-2021 01:34 PM

New York

"New York enacted a mask mandate at the beginning of the pandemic in April 2020 that lasted more than a year. The new mask mandate applies to both patrons and staff and will be in effect from Monday to Jan. 15, after which the state will reevaluate."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...edgdhp&pc=U531

fatlazyless 12-13-2021 04:51 AM

There's a lot of info here ...... http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...vid-cases.html ..... all about New Hampshire ....."How trends have changed in New Hampshire" ...... updated Dec 12, 2021 ...... hopefully it can be seen without a pay wall?

trfour 12-13-2021 01:33 PM

Another grim Covid-19 milestone: At least 800,000 Americans have died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...covid-rcna8380

trfour 12-13-2021 04:41 PM

WASHINGTON (The Hill) — An Oxford University study published on Monday found that two-dose COVID-19 vaccines generate a lower antibody response against the omicron strain, suggesting that the variant could lead to more infections among the fully vaccinated and previously infected.

Fauci: ‘If it becomes necessary to get yet another boost, then we’ll just have to deal with it’.

trfour 12-14-2021 05:52 PM

The CDC briefing Tuesday detailed two scenarios for how the omicron variant may spread through this country. The worst case scenario has spooked top health officials, who fear a fresh wave, layered on top of delta and influenza cases in what one described as “a triple whammy,” could overwhelm health systems and devastate communities, particularly those with low vaccination rates.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/om...edgdhp&pc=U531

fatlazyless 12-16-2021 03:53 PM

Gov Chris Sununu and Dr. Benjamin Chin, state epidemiologist: Dec 16, 2021, 3-pm; NH PBS .... live video briefing and NH covid data .... http://www.wmur.com/article/new-hamp...graph/36731268 ....... this starts at 3:13 and it goes to 53:50 .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTHSBHzLwQ ..... make your own assessment and plan to get vaccinated? ..... 55.5% of NH is fully vaccinated, is what it says.

Say-hey ..... who me, worried? .... what me worry as Alfred E Neuman used to say in Mad Magazine ..... www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman ..... I got me 3rd vaxx back in Sept and will be going for me 4th vaxx, asap pdq ..... so yeah, I'm worried! .... "after all, it takes at least four balls to get a walk to first base!" ... Yogi Berra

trfour 12-19-2021 01:28 PM

Dr. Anthony Fauci warned that the next few weeks will see severe stress on hospital systems as the omicron variant is "raging around the world."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...world-rcna9293

trfour 12-21-2021 05:02 PM

Dr. Fauci Just Issued This "Unprecedented" Warning.