Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to get rid of Old Trailer (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27940)

AC2717 05-10-2022 09:56 AM

How to get rid of Old Trailer

Hi, I have a trailer that I would like to scrap. Does anyone know where in the area I can take it, it is a galvy trailer, did not know if they paid scrap for it? or if I take to the dump? what are my options
Tires are brand new (400 miles on them) and the winch, guide ons and wheel stand are in very good shape, was thinking of taking these off before scrapping. Back to front it is approx 18 feet and 6 feet wide, currently has a 15 footer on it

thinkxingu 05-10-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 370483)
Hi, I have a trailer that I would like to scrap. Does anyone know where in the area I can take it, it is a galvy trailer, did not know if they paid scrap for it? or if I take to the dump? what are my options
Tires are brand new (400 miles on them) and the winch, guide ons and wheel stand are in very good shape, was thinking of taking these off before scrapping. Back to front it is approx 18 feet and 6 feet wide, currently has a 15 footer on it

Why are you scrapping it? If even remotely serviceable, someone will buy it.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler 05-10-2022 11:09 AM

FLL may want it........

Garcia 05-10-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 370483)

I got rid of a couple that were in bad shape by listing them for free on Craigslist.

root1 05-10-2022 12:17 PM

'The Metal Farm' on Rt 11 in Farmington would be glad pay you for your trailer. Take off the tires ..... they don't want those.

AC2717 05-10-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by root1 (Post 370494)
'The Metal Farm' on Rt 11 in Farmington would be glad pay you for your trailer. Take off the tires ..... they don't want those.

thank you, At this point I want to keep/sell the parts and dump the trailer and have no place to store it while trying to sell it, but can store the parts easy

Descant 05-10-2022 01:37 PM

Your town yard sale

Most places have a "'town' yard sale" page on FB.
If you let the parts, tires, winch etc. go with it as a useable trailer, you can put it in your front yard with a $400 sign on it and somebody will drive off with it tomorrow night. If you say free, it will stay for weeks.
Most transfer stations (dump) have a section for scrap metal.

lakershaker 05-10-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 370498)
Most places have a "'town' yard sale" page on FB.
If you let the parts, tires, winch etc. go with it as a useable trailer, you can put it in your front yard with a $400 sign on it and somebody will drive off with it tomorrow night. If you say free, it will stay for weeks.

That's funny - on our town page in CT, if you list things with real value even for a very low price, you'll never move it - have to use Facebook Marketplace. But the second you say it's free, it's gone in 60 seconds...

TiltonBB 05-10-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakershaker (Post 370500)
That's funny - on our town page in CT, if you list things with real value even for a very low price, you'll never move it - have to use Facebook Marketplace. But the second you say it's free, it's gone in 60 seconds...

I agree. I have used Craigslist for many years to rent property, sell cars and boats, and even to give things away. Within 24 hours of putting things on Craigslist as "free" the inquires come in pretty fast. Treadmill, exercise bike, king size comforter set, all gone almost instantly.

There must be a large number of people scanning the free section constantly for opportunities.

Hey Walter, I see an opportunity here...............

fatlazyless 05-10-2022 06:32 PM

Can it be towed with a 1 7/8" trailer ball, and a 2000-lb tow capacity Subaru, and do all the brake/turn/marker lights work totally, totally perfectly bright, and are the wheel bearings and tires in excellent shape? If the answer is NO to any of these ....... then just fuhgetaboutit!

chachee52 05-10-2022 06:56 PM

I got rid of an old sinking sailboat by posting on Craigslist, "Free trailer must take boat that is on it" and it was gone within the hour. Thought it would take weeks. Trailer was in good shape, just didn't want to take the time to find a landfill that would take an old sailboat.
If the lights and such do work, there is someone always looking for that size for different things. I myself will be looking for one in a couple years, gonna try to build a wooden runabout. Other people are building multi-kayak trailers with that size. You'll get rid of it quickly if its free or a couple hundred.
Good luck.

TiltonBB 05-10-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 370504)
Can it be towed with a 1 7/8" trailer ball, and a 2000-lb tow capacity Subaru, and do all the brake/turn/marker lights work totally, totally perfectly bright, and are the wheel bearings and tires in excellent shape? If the answer is NO to any of these ....... then just fuhgetaboutit!

Very few trailers using 1 7/8 now. Graduate to 2". Or become a big boy and go to 2 5/16. Size matters!

thinkxingu 05-10-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 370506)
Very few trailers using 1 7/8 now. Graduate to 2". Or become a big boy and go to 2 5/16. Size matters!

Someone's overcompensating. You have a set of Truck Nutz on your dually, too?!

fatlazyless 05-11-2022 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 370506)

The trailer ball should match the trailer socket latch, and small trailers like the smallest kit trailer from Harbor Freight use a 1 7/8".

Harbor Freight, Gilford has a $399.99 Haul-Master 1090 lb capacity 40 1/2" x 48" utility trailer frame, and you can pull all the scrap plywood and 2x4's you need at the Meredith town transfer station to make a good little utility box trailer for going to the town dump, and all around. Lumber and plywood has really gone up up up in price over the last two years.

For posting an ad in craigslist, good photos will help a whole lot to get it gone.

garysanfran 05-11-2022 05:57 AM

Gilaptric Metal Recycling in Bristol...

Gilpatric Metal Recycling in Bristol off Rt. 104 will pay you for it if you can get it there.

They may take it with the tires. I'm quite sure they take junk cars which usually have four of them and maybe one in the trunk.

I've brought junk metal to them several times and was surprised at how much I was paid for stuff most would have thrown out.

https://gilpatricmetalrecycling.com/

AC2717 05-11-2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 370504)

yes to all actually! brand new tires, bearings just went 400 miles mostly highway, all lights work (fixed the wiring) and is a 1 7/8'" hitch come to think of it, I think I will post it for sale for a few hundred. EVen has nice guides on it or just keep it and fix what needs fixing. fenders are rotted, and roller holders are rotted out and bunk bracketts need replacing

thinkxingu 05-11-2022 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 370515)
yes to all actually!

Then what the heck is wrong with it?!

AC2717 05-11-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 370517)
Then what the heck is wrong with it?!

rotted out brackets, unsure of the axel and hubs the galvy very oxidized and scaling very bad, springs rusted out, was thinking just buy another and be done with it. my original thought of trailering back and forth twice a year at 100 miles each way and not being confident on it, if can keep in the area, then its great

None the less, still needed to know where I could go to get rid of one in the area, and always want to know

thinkxingu 05-11-2022 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 370518)
rotted out brackets, unsure of the axel and hubs the galvy very oxidized and scaling very bad, springs rusted out, was thinking just buy another and be done with it. my oriniglay though is trailing back and forth twice a year at 100 miles each way and not being confident on it, if can keep in the area, then its great

Gotcha. I'd say if you need the "good" parts off it then pull them and scrap it, but if you want the path of least resistance, post it for $50 and I'm betting it'll be gone in a day.