Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lawn infestation ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20374)

bigdog 03-22-2016 04:36 PM

Lawn infestation ?

Seeing small holes about 1"-2" popping up in several areas of my lawn.
Seem to be perfectly round.

I suspect it to be some type of critter digging these holes.

Moles, voles, or other ?

tummyman 03-22-2016 05:22 PM

Interesting. Could be almost any of the above. I got hit be voles...I think over the winter. Made all kinds of burrow rows in my grass. Dug up everything down to the roots in a meandering pattern. Would love to get them, but so far have not seen any evidence once the snow was gone. Hope an owl or eagle got them for dinner. Now I have a lot of repairs to make and not sure if I have a young group growing for problems later.

8gv 03-22-2016 05:36 PM

If you have grubs in the soil the critters that are making the holes may be eating them. My son in CT has the same issue. He is applying Grubex this weekend.

No food? No critters.

bigdog 03-22-2016 07:28 PM

No burrows in lawn, just holes !

Could it be skunks digging for grubs ?

Blue Thunder 03-22-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 259111)
No burrows in lawn, just holes !

Could it be skunks digging for grubs ?

Exactly what I had a few years ago. It was skunks at night devouring the grubs....

HellRaZoR004 03-22-2016 08:14 PM

Do you see a lot of chipmunks in your yard? I have the same issue.

dpg 03-23-2016 06:09 AM

If it's a "perfectly round" hole as you stated it's not skunks, probably Chipmunks. Skunks will more just dig the top surface of grass and shuffle it around not necessarily dig a well defined hole. Skunks are simply trying to get under the top surface of sod layer to gain access to grubs.

Way Out There 2 03-23-2016 03:09 PM

dpg is right. Round holes = chipmunks. Torn up grass and roots = skunk. I've got both. The skunk made quite a mess. Not sure how or if the grass will come back.

bigdog 03-23-2016 04:17 PM

Almost perfect round holes as stated....

Don't have chipmunks, but I think I have the entire NH squirrel population living here !

Lot's of acorns fell last fall so maybe their digging those , but the holes are deep. like 1-2"

Time to purchase a pellet gun !

TiltonBB 03-24-2016 09:01 PM

I have had moles for years. Every morning I would go out and stomp down the trails, hoping that I had hit one. No such luck.

One day I was looking down at the mounds of dirt and noticed movement. I could see the dirt popping up as I watched. Hello metal rake! Good by Mr. mole! I hope PETA doesn't find out!

ApS 03-25-2016 09:09 AM

Broomstick-Sized Holes = Voles

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 259105)
Interesting. Could be almost any of the above. I got hit be voles...I think over the winter. Made all kinds of burrow rows in my grass. Dug up everything down to the roots in a meandering pattern. Would love to get them, but so far have not seen any evidence once the snow was gone. Hope an owl or eagle got them for dinner. Now I have a lot of repairs to make and not sure if I have a young group growing for problems later.

For more discussion of these holes/burrows studied earlier:

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...ighlight=voles

VitaBene 03-25-2016 09:09 AM

We had all sorts of moles/ voles last year, then I saw a fox working them over pretty good. This year we have seen very little activity

jeffk 03-25-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 259210)
We had all sorts of moles/ voles last year, then I saw a fox working them over pretty good. This year we have seen very little activity

Nature's balance.

VitaBene 03-25-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 259214)
Nature's balance.

That's for sure Jeff! The year before we a lot of chipmunks in the stone walls behind the house... until a bobcat showed up!

Cindido 03-25-2016 12:56 PM

Voles/Moles

Would someone please send a fox or bobcat Alton Bay way - our lawn is destroyed!

Thank you :D

bigdog 03-26-2016 08:58 AM

Caught the varmits in the act ! It's squirrels' digging up the lawn.

They're digging up the acorns under the lawn buried in the soil.

You'd think they'd be gathering their nuts in the Fall, go figure !

Time to buy that pellet gun, and let my mini-dachshund have a run at them ! :)

noreast 03-26-2016 02:44 PM

They're just helping you aerate, You owe them about $150.00