Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Winterizing primary residence questions (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28308)

Sue Doe-Nym 09-11-2022 03:28 PM

Winterizing primary residence questions

Assuming that everything possible has been done to prevent frozen pipes, etc by turning off the water pump and water heater circuit breakers, opening the faucets, emptying the toilets as much as possible and adding antifreeze to the tanks, if the residence has both propane heat and electric backup, I am thinking that using the propane @$2.68/gal. makes more sense than the electric, given the higher rates…both are up substantially over last year. Maybe set the propane furnace at 50, with electric @45, in case the furnace quits. I have cameras everywhere so we could see a temperature drop. The water heater is a worry as it’s not easy to drain as our house is on a slab. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

tummyman 09-11-2022 03:44 PM

Better option...hire a GOOD plumber, have him drain everything and use compressed air to blowout any residual water from lines, including the water heater, add antifreeze to heating system if it is hydronic, shut off the lights and power, and LEAVE. You will save lots of money paying for propane to heat an empty house. And then no worried about when the electricity goes out.

Descant 09-11-2022 04:24 PM

I agree with Tummyman, depending on how long you're gone.
You will have to remove bottled liquids from bathroom and kitchen up to a point. Mouthwash and booze won't freeze, some, like ketchup and cooking oiul might, but put them all in a water proof container, and if they survive, OK. If not, so what clean out the container. On a slab, i.e. no basement, there is likely a utility room. Maybe you could set up a small heat system just for that space? Valuable artwork and wooden musical instruments may not like the dry air in unheated space at 0 F so total shutdown may not be for you, but it is certainly the best way to save on heating costs with no fear of burst pipes.
Some monitored security systems have a temperature option.

camp guy 09-11-2022 06:00 PM

Winterizing residence

Two thoughts come to mind to make your house ready for you being away for the winter, 1) seriously consider engaging a property watch professional to make regular (although irregular in timing)visits and walk-thrus just making sure all is okay (nothing beats a trained eye), and 2) (please forgive my rudeness), don't talk about when you are leaving or other plans (you never know who might overhear something you don't want overheard).

ITD 09-12-2022 05:45 PM

I think it depends on what type of electric heaters you have and whether you can really get propane at $2.68/gal.

icg56 09-12-2022 07:03 PM

Winterized

I found having a plumber drain the house and pulling the plug has worked out well and saved considerable costs. If you leave your power on, your refrigerator may not work if the house is kept too cold unless it is built for cold operating conditions. Never have lost a water heater or tank.

Sue Doe-Nym 09-12-2022 07:47 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I am being outvoted on this because of various things requiring some heat. I am all for pulling the plug, but we’ll cut everything back, making certain the water is off, valves open, and all those measures, plus we have an excellent house watcher when we are not here. Thank you all again…helpful advice.
Sue