Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Lake Riding (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17157)

ishoot308 02-20-2014 08:45 AM

Lake Riding

Anyone been on the lake since the recent storm?? Any issues out there other than some underlying slush in spots? Any issues getting stuck??

Thanks!

Dan

VitaBene 02-21-2014 09:58 AM

Snow is deep, but compressed a lot yesterday. I think it will be OK on the lake.

ishoot308 02-21-2014 11:13 AM

Thanks!

Thanks Vita!

Need to make it out to my bob house which is 4 miles from shore! Won't pull it off this weekend but hopefully with the cold snap we have coming next week, I will be able to next weekend...

Dan

Blue Thunder 02-21-2014 11:35 AM

I'm heading up to my place for the weekend as well and am very concerned about the underlying slush on the ice.....been there, done that, and its not fun.

Red apple 02-21-2014 01:35 PM

Lake riding is great!! If your running a short rack just stay in others paths. It may be a little slushy in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday do to the weather but there is plenty if ice under the slush.

Blue Thunder 02-24-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 219807)
I'm heading up to my place for the weekend as well and am very concerned about the underlying slush on the ice.....been there, done that, and its not fun.

Well, my own concerns were warranted on Sebago this past weekend. 8+ inches of slush on top of the ice made for quite a ride....Temps in the mid 40's didn't help at all.
To you experienced sledders...what is the proper procedure for not getting stuck in slush? I prefer the "gas it and go!" method feathering the throttle as necessary. Both my sleds are two ups with "picked" tracks.

BT

ishoot308 02-24-2014 12:41 PM

Sloppy In Spots

On Saturday morning, the lake riding was great with a few wet areas here and there. In the afternoon those same wet areas became a little larger however it was no issue for the snowmobiles to ride right over them.

My tracked Polaris Ranger weighted down by a heavy front plow, ice auger on the rear and numerous pounds of gear in it and also towing a jet sled full of gear had a slow go of it and couldn't go faster than 7 or 8 miles an hour. Got stuck once which simply required going in reverse and getting a little head start.

Didn't go out Sunday so not sure how bad it got.

The good news is we have 10 days of single digit night time weather coming which should tighten things back up!

Dan

SAB1 02-24-2014 02:37 PM

Agreed. Saturday was great in the AM but the lake changed quickley in the afternoon. Trails were much better than I expected. Finished up riding trails about 3:15 and shot out onto the lake at Melvin Bay. It was soupy. Key was to get into tracks someone else had made and keep moving. 4 wheelers had a tough time coming off at 5PM. Left alot of ruts with alot of water in them. It didnt get cold enough to freeze all the water under the snow Saturday night but there a good crust Sunday morning. Hoping for more snow.

chipj29 02-28-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 219919)
Well, my own concerns were warranted on Sebago this past weekend. 8+ inches of slush on top of the ice made for quite a ride....Temps in the mid 40's didn't help at all.
To you experienced sledders...what is the proper procedure for not getting stuck in slush? I prefer the "gas it and go!" method feathering the throttle as necessary. Both my sleds are two ups with "picked" tracks.

BT

Gas and go. Don't slow down.