Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Squam Lake Steak House (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28662)

Susie Cougar 03-20-2023 08:18 PM

Squam Lake Steak House

My son mentioned that Phish played this now defunct restaurant in Holderness in 1988. Does anyone remember where this was, or did anyone here happen to go to the shows?

BroadHopper 03-21-2023 06:51 AM

There was a restaurant and bar at the corner of Rte. 3 and 175.

The building still exists. Alex Raye once owned it and rented it out to Habitat for Humanity. I can't recall what's in there today.

It was the "happening" place back in the late '70s and 80s. James Montgomery, The Blend, Annie and the Orphans, The Fools, and other regional bands played there. It was a place to meet girls from PSC.

Never ate there but the bar was known to lax in carding the kids.

SAMIAM 03-22-2023 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 382091)

The building still exists. Alex Raye once owned it and rented it out to Habitat for Humanity. I can't recall what's in there today.

It was the "happening" place back in the late '70s and 80s. James Montgomery, The Blend, Annie and the Orphans, The Fools, and other regional bands played there. It was a place to meet girls from PSC.

Can tell from experience you're wrong about lax on I'D's
The state liquor commission hung out there a lot because that's where all the action was. They constantly approached customers and carding them.
Might have been lax on other things but not I.D.s for sure

BroadHopper 03-22-2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 382119)
Can tell from experience you're wrong about lax on I'D's
The state liquor commission hung out there a lot because that's where all the action was. They constantly approached customers and carding them.
Might have been lax on other things but not I.D.s for sure

It was common knowledge on the college campus, fake ids were available.
The state started making it tough to make ids with watermarks etc.

I remember the paper license without a picture before the 70s. Even high school kids can use them at the state liquor stores!

I remember one tough inspector; last name was Cartier. He would hang out outside the Margate and card anyone regardless of age. Until he carded a well-known US Senator. That did not go well.

Garcia 03-23-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

James Montgomery - haven't heard that name in years! He lived in Western MA and used to play all over the area. As to the original post about Phish, I remember them coming to my college when they first were getting started in the late 80s; I saw them numerous times, once with only about 20 people in the audience. Fun people to hang out with before, during and after they played...How times changed a few years later.

Garcia 03-23-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

James Montgomery - haven't heard that name in years! He lived in Western MA and used to play all over the area. As to the original post about Phish, I remember them coming to my college when they first were getting started in the late 80s; I saw them numerous times, once with only about 20 people in the audience. Fun people to hang out with before, during and after they played...How times changed a few years later.

Cobalt 12 03-23-2023 06:31 PM

Didn't they run under the name " James Montgomery's Blues Band " ?

Garcia 03-24-2023 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 (Post 382172)
Didn't they run under the name " James Montgomery's Blues Band " ?

Yes - and still touring

garysanfran 03-24-2023 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrote this review back in my early days...Sorry, tried to rotate it.

pondguy 03-24-2023 10:14 AM

I saw James Montgomery and Duke and the Drivers at JFK in Manchester in 1974. Wow what a blast from the past.

steve-on-mark 03-24-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

I have a cool story about The Blend ( who not many remember ) ...I was at their record release party at the Loft in Portland.... early 80's I think!

BroadHopper 03-24-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 382177)
I have a cool story about The Blend ( who not many remember ) ...I was at their record release party at the Loft in Portland.... early 80's I think!

Originally named 'White Mountain National Blend'. They were the house band at the 'Brothers II' in Conway. Wild times!

Speaking about Portland, there was a local band called 'Motor City Rythm Kings' Used to play at the 'Widowmaker' at the 'loaf.

SAMIAM 03-25-2023 07:39 AM

Lots of great local and regional bands back then
The Whitfield band, Joe Droukas and the Bombers, The Boston Brats, JB Hutto and the New Hawks, Crossfire.......to name a few

Cobalt 12 03-25-2023 04:34 PM

Anyone remember seeing " The Platters " in 1973ish. Between where Patrick's is and the Weirs Bridge on. Was a Old nightclub ( Lounge ) on the water.

SAMIAM 03-26-2023 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 (Post 382202)
Anyone remember seeing " The Platters " in 1973ish. Between where Patrick's is and the Weirs Bridge on. Was a Old nightclub ( Lounge ) on the water.

"Edgewater" comes to mind.....small club but had awesome bands
went there a few times

BroadHopper 03-26-2023 09:13 AM

Regional bands

There is another regional band that was extremely popular. 'Sweet Misery' from Concord. I remember caged female dancers at 'Outer Limits' in Tilton!

Garcia 03-26-2023 11:57 AM

I know it was mentioned previously, but if you ever have the chance to see Albert Cummings, go.

WeirsGuard 03-26-2023 02:00 PM

Remember seeing…

Anyone remember seeing the Incredible Two Man Band? They played Iriwins in the early - mid 70’s. Great show including a “flying” keyboard solo.

Seaplane Pilot 03-26-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 382212)
"Edgewater" comes to mind.....small club but had awesome bands
went there a few times

Hey Sam, I remember being at that Edgewater Club, but can’t remember where it was. Things are a bit fuzzy from those days :coolsm: Do you remember its location?

Cobalt 12 03-26-2023 08:37 PM

Coming from The Weirs Bridge heading to Patrick's Pub. Go past the Governor's Island entrance on the left. In about a 1/3 of a mile there is a Large Building on the left (on the Edge of the Water ) Just before the big curve in the road that have seen many accidents. They were pretty loose with checking your ID as well.

SAMIAM 03-27-2023 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 382228)
Hey Sam, I remember being at that Edgewater Club, but can’t remember where it was. Things are a bit fuzzy from those days :coolsm: Do you remember its location?

Haha They say if you remember the 70's you weren't there.
It was on the waterfront on rt 3A in Gilford. Building is still there and now a condo

Cobalt 12 03-27-2023 11:10 AM

SAMIAM, do you remember the guy from the Weirs Times that bought the WW2 VET and his Wife lunch at your restaurant a couple years ago?

SAMIAM 03-28-2023 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 (Post 382253)
SAMIAM, do you remember the guy from the Weirs Times that bought the WW2 VET and his Wife lunch at your restaurant a couple years ago?

Heard about it but wasn't there.......what a nice gesture.

Cobalt 12 03-28-2023 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 382259)
Heard about it but wasn't there.......what a nice gesture.

It made his day. They were just coming back from Laconia and he had just found out 2 hours earlier that he had Cancer. They stopped at your place for Lunch on their way back to Wolfeboro It was such a great feeling for him, he wrote a 3 page letter thanking us. Glad it made his day. Life is to short, it's nice to pay it forward as much as you can.

Natt 06-25-2023 01:11 PM

Squam Lakes Staekhouse

The name of the restaurant was the White Hat.