Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Meredith Place Veterinary Emergency Hospital (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28292)

thinkxingu 09-05-2022 07:34 AM

Meredith Place Veterinary Emergency Hospital

We took our 13.5-year-old mini-schnauzer to MPVEH last night at 11. After an examination, looking at recent testing and history, and a long conversation with the vet, we decided to put her down.

We'd been working on this starting Friday and were concerned about what to do/where to go given the holiday weekend hours, etc. and reviews of local vets.

After seeing that most of MPVEH's negative reviews were older/questionable, we decided to go there rather than Concord (much lower reviews) or Manchester.

The reason for the visit notwithstanding, we had a very positive experience. While I don't love their curbside approach, the sign on the front with their reasoning makes sense and everyone we worked with was incredibly kind, responsive, and helpful.

We were allowed to be with puppers for the procedure, and the process was very thoughtful.

Finally, though absolutely not the most important thing, the pricing was very reasonable not just for an ER at midnight on a holiday weekend but in general.

It was a horrible time, but MPVEH handled it very well and I would not hesitate a moment to use them again.

Here's a pic of baby Scout, just because.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b5151143d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

tis 09-05-2022 07:55 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose our kids. 🥲

ishoot308 09-05-2022 08:05 AM

Sorry…

Sorry for your loss Think…rest easy knowing knowing the wonderful life you gave Scout. He was a lucky dog to have you and your family!

Dan

FlyingScot 09-05-2022 08:26 AM

Very sorry for your loss, Think. It's hard to lose a friend

pondguy 09-05-2022 08:33 AM

Sorry for your loss Think, She kind of looks like Atticus M. Finch from the book Following Atticus by Tom Ryan

Woody38 09-05-2022 10:11 AM

I am so sorry. Never easy to put your friend down. We have lost 10 dogs and still miss each. One passed away at my feet while I was on the computer, another passed away in the car while backing out of the drive on the way to the vet. (that was my first Poodle)

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

8gv 09-05-2022 10:26 AM

I'm sorry you lost your pup.

We all know that having a dog will bring this day but as painful as it is, it's still worth it to have a dog in the family.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-05-2022 10:40 AM

So Sorry

thinkxingu, My heart hurts for you with the loss of your fur baby. Paw prints in Heaven, forever in your heart. It’s never easy saying goodbye. What a beautiful babe.

We have used Meredith Place Veterinary Emergency Hospital on three occasions. First time before they closed, with a severely torn toenail after hours. We later chose them after their re-opening for two bouts of GI issues in the middle of the night. Great experiences all three times. Before Covid, so it was different protocol for going in. They were terrific and I would not hesitate to use them again.

Another place to consider for after hours emergency care is Maine Veterinary Medical Center . They are a 24 hour emergency in Scarborough, ME.

winniwannabe 09-05-2022 11:42 AM

Think. , I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there twice w/ mini
schnauzers, and it's never easy. I have a soon to be 10yr old male
schnauzer Ringo. That's a great photo of your pooch! My sympathies.

lakeadoodle 09-05-2022 11:47 AM

Handsome Scout

So very sorry for your loss. It's never easy ....

KennyFromBoston 09-05-2022 05:40 PM

Losing aa family member

I'm so sorry on your recent loss. Many of us share the feelings you and your family are experiencing and offer our full support. Enjoy the many pleasant memories you have.

thinkxingu 09-06-2022 11:02 AM

Two other things:

1. I posted the circumstances of our visit not for the condolences (though I very much appreciate y'all's thoughts), but to provide context for the importance of our visit.

2. Throughout the weekend's process, I connected with Dr. DeStefano of Sweet Dreams At-Home End-of-Life Care, and she was very, very helpful and kind. I would not hesitate to seek her out again if ever necessary.

[emoji190][emoji190][emoji190]

SailinAway 09-25-2022 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Think, I'm sorry I missed this sad news three weeks ago. In lieu of condolences, how about some lost pup photos? Here you go---my hiking companion. Best dog ever and greatly missed. Anyone else?

SailinAway 09-25-2022 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dog who never learned to read.

thinkxingu 09-25-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 376888)
Think, I'm sorry I missed this sad news three weeks ago. In lieu of condolences, how about some lost pup photos? Here you go---my hiking companion. Best dog ever and greatly missed. Anyone else?

Ooh, I like that idea—thank you kindly!

We've already started looking at new puppers, but it's not the right time—maybe when school is out.

Finally, we picked up Scout's ashes, paw prints, and fur fluffs, which completed our experience with Meredith Place and everything was as good as could be—definitely 5 stars.

Now, where them lost doggo pics?!

winni83 09-25-2022 03:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two different chocolate labs enjoying the Lake. Both sorely missed. The dock diver made it to ten and a half and the beach lounger, our last, made it to fourteen and a half. Both were wonderful dogs and loved the Lake.

MeredithMan 09-25-2022 03:32 PM

Bella...

1 Attachment(s)
Bella, our previous Golden before the 3 crazies we have now, who made it to 13....

SailinAway 09-27-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 376906)
Bella, our previous Golden before the 3 crazies we have now, who made it to 13....

MeredithMan, was my golden retriever an exception, or are goldens known to be . . . how to put it kindly? . . . dumb as a stone? Very lovable, but not very bright. If there was a steak on the other side of a partially open door she wouldn't be able to figure out how to open the door with her nose. The yellow lab was highly intelligent.

mcdude 09-27-2022 12:44 PM

Jake

2 Attachment(s)
Forever in my heart.

Newbiesaukee 09-27-2022 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are almost all my dogs. The first top right are poodles, Mimi and Koko from 1956 and the vicious brown 4 lb one mid-right, Sophie, is still with me. My granddaughter made this collage for me a few years ago. My daughter is holding the pup in the center when she was 3, 50 years ago. My kids' favorite was Sam, a standard 70# top left. Skye, lower, was the first one living at the Lake.

I miss them all.

phoenix 09-28-2022 11:10 AM

I used them in june as my little dog had very red eyes . It was a saturday and they gave her medicine and most important forwarded her file to the vet in moultonboro for follow up

SailinAway 09-28-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 376994)
Forever in my heart.

Beautiful, McDude. Amazing how some dogs can tolerate everything from 40-degree water in January to 120 degrees by the woodstove.

SAB1 03-25-2023 05:08 PM

I’ll echo Think’s post here as we just had to do the same as they are a24hr service on weekends. The staff from the receptionist right through the doctor was exceptional. Very caring people and passionate group. Sailin that picture looks exactly like my 16yr old I just lost. You have a beautiful dog.

ishoot308 03-25-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 382203)
I’ll echo Think’s post here as we just had to do the same as they are a24hr service on weekends. The staff from the receptionist right through the doctor was exceptional. Very caring people and passionate group. Sailin that picture looks exactly like my 16yr old I just lost. You have a beautiful dog.

Sorry for your loss SAB….

Dan

thinkxingu 03-25-2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 382203)

Sorry for your loss, friend, but I'm glad you had a good experience during this tough time.

tis 03-25-2023 06:57 PM

I'm so sorry. It's so hard.

steve-on-mark 03-26-2023 05:59 AM

We've lost a couple...both Niki and Charlotte were fixtures on Mark and visited Islanders frequently...will always miss them!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...48e7f457a2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4c14b84c25.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk