Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Elvio's Pizza (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24311)

donnamatrix 04-10-2019 10:06 AM

Elvio's Pizza

Recently read a want-ad in the Laconia Sun for help for Elvio's Pizza, which is returning to Moultonboro ... is this the pizzeria that used to be in the Pat's Pizza location near Lemon Grass? Not sure where they are moving to.

winni83 04-10-2019 03:37 PM

From a reliable source, the former Pat's Pizza has been taken over by Elvio's.

Senter Cove Guy 04-10-2019 08:16 PM

The Return Of Elvio's

That location WAS Elvio's 20 years ago. It was the best pizza. Hope it still is.

DesertDweller 04-10-2019 09:26 PM

Glad to hear about this. Always liked Pat's food but they had to be the most disorganized people on the planet. Between losing orders and/or it not being ready any time close to when they said it would be it's a miracle I kept going back.

WINNOCTURN 04-11-2019 08:40 AM

Please say it's TRUE!

Our Prayers have been answered! :liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick::lipl ick:

WINNOCTURN 04-11-2019 11:01 AM

Sign is up elvio"s is comming back!!!!!

Just drove by "PATS"

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 309431)
Recently read a want-ad in the Laconia Sun for help for Elvio's Pizza, which is returning to Moultonboro ... is this the pizzeria that used to be in the Pat's Pizza location near Lemon Grass? Not sure where they are moving to.

SIGN IS UP, ELVIO'S IS COMMING BACK!!!

:liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick:

winni83 04-11-2019 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN (Post 309501)
Just drove by "PATS"

SIGN IS UP, ELVIO'S IS COMMING BACK!!!

:liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick::liplick:

Yes it is. Here is a photo of the sign.

Attachment 14666

Taz 04-16-2019 10:56 AM

Elvios

Ugh, Elvios has been in the MT Washington Valley for years. Its also the worst pizza in the valley. It has a reputation among valley regulars and locals. I think they are still in business because the one timers to the valley do not know any better. Stick with Picolo. Picolo owner also owned a restaurant in the MT Washington Valley before moving to Moultonboro but it was a sit down Italian fare establishment.

Charlie T 04-16-2019 11:27 AM

Totally Disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 309738)
Ugh, Elvios has been in the MT Washington Valley for years. Its also the worst pizza in the valley..

I totally disagree with your opinion of Elvios. I've been there many times and make it a point to stop there when I'm in the area. I welcome them back to the lakes region

sledneck 04-16-2019 06:27 PM

Elvios is a close second to Sal’s. I love them both.

thinkxingu 04-16-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledneck (Post 309763)
Elvios is a close second to Sal’s. I love them both.

Love Sal's? I question your pizza judgment!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

rick35 04-16-2019 08:19 PM

Wasn’t there an Elvios at the Weirs across from the stairs years ago? Went once and had to grab a handful of napkins to sop up the grease. Had the same experience at Zackys and the place at the plaza on 104. We haven’t had a good pizza experience at the lake so we don’t think pizza when we eat out.

phoenix 04-16-2019 08:31 PM

I dont know why you should question his judgement. Question his taste. I like sal’s also i guess you then question my judgement

joey2665 04-16-2019 08:54 PM

Pizza is a very personal food. I don’t think much of the pizza in the lakes region is very good so I don’t really eat it there. Although with all the positive comments I will try piccolo.

It isn’t like a steak we’re it is much less subjective. Generally you either have a good piece of meat or not and it’s cook properly or not. Pizza has way too many variables. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 04-17-2019 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 309771)
I dont know why you should question his judgement. Question his taste. I like sal’s also i guess you then question my judgement

It was a joke.

Biggd 04-17-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309774)
Pizza is a very personal food. I don’t think much of the pizza in the lakes region is very good so I don’t really eat it there. Although with all the positive comments I will try piccolo.

It isn’t like a steak we’re it is much less subjective. Generally you either have a good piece of meat or not and it’s cook properly or not. Pizza has way too many variables. [emoji4]

The only pizza I found to my liking in the lakes region was at Nolan's Bistro in Wolfboro. Other than that I haven't found a pizza worth bragging about. I will have to try Piccolo's market though.

Taz 04-17-2019 07:54 AM

lakes region pizza

Nolans is good, Guisseppes is good, in my opinion but the best pizza I have had in the lakes region if you can call Plymouth the lakes region is the Last Chair and they have a craft/micro brewery. Check it out.

joey2665 04-17-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 309791)
Nolans is good, Guisseppes is good, in my opinion but the best pizza I have had in the lakes region if you can call Plymouth the lakes region is the Last Chair and they have a craft/micro brewery. Check it out.

I’ve had Giuseppe’s it’s not bad it’s hard to say pizza is good in the area for me anyway when I have had awesome pizza in NY, Boston and Chicago. Nothing I’ve tasted compares. Wining Butcher has brick oven at the Meredith location that is ok also.

Biggd 04-17-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309792)
I’ve had Giuseppe’s it’s not bad it’s hard to say pizza is good in the area for me anyway when I have had awesome pizza in NY, Boston and Chicago. Nothing I’ve tasted compares. Wining Butcher has brick oven at the Meredith location that is ok also.

I think Giuseppe's pizza is terrible, not a fan at all. I haven't tried the Wining Butcher's pizza yet. I like my pizza well done so generally I like the brick oven pizza places the best. I hate soggy pizza!

Mr. V 04-17-2019 09:17 AM

It's been awhile since I've eaten their pizza and cheese steaks but I found that Pizza Express in Gilford did a good job with both.

Taz 04-17-2019 09:25 AM

pizza

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 309794)
I think Giuseppe's pizza is terrible, not a fan at all. I haven't tried the Wining Butcher's pizza yet. I like my pizza well done so generally I like the brick oven pizza places the best. I hate soggy pizza!

I have never had a soggy pizza at Giussepe's. I have had very soggy, terrible pizza at the Elvios in North Conway.

Biggd 04-17-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 309801)
I have never had a soggy pizza at Giussepe's. I have had very soggy, terrible pizza at the Elvios in North Conway.

I didn't mean to imply I had soggy pizza at Giuseppe's . I just don't like their pizza or their food for that matter. Maybe I was a little harsh with "terrible" but I'm not a fan and It's the closest pizza place to me, about a mile. I guess I'm just spoiled because pizza places in the Boston area are so good.

JEEPONLY 04-17-2019 05:07 PM

My go-to pizza test is sausage and peppers (preferably green/red pepper mix) w/fennel spiced sausage.

If you've never had Pepe's- New Haven, Ct.- you've never had pizza! The large were served on huge rectangular pans.

Piccolo's has very good!

Wining Butcher has very good (taste and price), thin-crust pepperoni (I usually ask to make sure they cover the WHOLE pie with meat)

I love Guisseppe's Chicken Florentine!!! It gets expensive!- but m-m-m-m-m!

I'm looking forward to giving the, by me, untried pizzas mentioned here, using my sausage/peppers taste test.

Back in the day, the pizza guys would toss the dough, spread sauce, sprinkle cheese, and then grab handfuls of sausage/peppers and pinch off pieces to toss on top before cooking.

These old-time pizzas were big, and oily (greasy?)- but oh, man!!!

sledneck 04-17-2019 08:13 PM

Sorry, I have to admit I totally forgot about Nolans. Awesome pizza. And come on, Sal’s is awesome. Convenient too when gassing up at the Weirs and grabbing a couple slices.

Biggd 04-18-2019 09:24 AM

Santarpios is my all time favorite pizza place, wish they had one in the lakes region. Regina is also on the top of my list of favorites.

thinkxingu 04-18-2019 09:40 AM

I like most pizza. It's like the lake--even at its worst, it's still pretty awesome.

That being said, my current top 5 (not in order): 1. Veria, plain cheese, Hudson; 2. Bertucci's Ultimate Bertucci; 3. Piccolo, plain cheese, Center Harbor; 4. The Mug Pub, chicken finger and meatball, Meredith; 5. Pizzico, grilled chicken and meatball, Merrimack/Nashua.

I really like Sal's BBQ chicken, but it's just not consistent.

joey2665 04-18-2019 10:57 AM

Long Island, NY is littered with excellent pizza but my all time favorites are:
1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY
2) Dad's, Brick oven in my father's backyard LI, NY
3) Lou Malnati's, Chicago

Sorry nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO

thinkxingu 04-18-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309855)

1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY

Sorry nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO

Sounds like I need to try Wining Butcher and, when it's up and running, Elvio's!

jr616 04-18-2019 12:01 PM

Give them all a try!

Why not give them a chance to open and try them out.

Try them ALL out - Wine'ing Butcher, Sals, Gusippees, Mug, Elivios, Ellacoya, GHOP.

The best thing we can do if give business to our local eateries! If it's not up to par - let them know. They may make changes that make them better.

Don't rush to judge before the place even opens.

Pizza IMHO - is always a blessing

kayaking1 04-29-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 309741)
I totally disagree with your opinion of Elvios. I've been there many times and make it a point to stop there when I'm in the area. I welcome them back to the lakes region

Agree! I work in North Conway and Elvio's is GREAT! Looking forward to welcoming them to Moultonborough......

Overlake97 04-30-2019 04:21 AM

Great, but not close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 309852)
Santarpios is my all time favorite pizza place, wish they had one in the lakes region.

I’d second that. 👍 Santarpios is near Logan Airport in Boston; a real “old school” type place. If they were closer, I’d never go anywhere else. 😋😋

thinkxingu 04-30-2019 04:33 AM

Anyone know when Elvio's opens?

TheTimeTraveler 04-30-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 310596)
I’d second that. �� Santarpios is near Logan Airport in Boston; a real “old school” type place. If they were closer, I’d never go anywhere else. ����

Actually Santarpios has a second location also; it is on Route 1 Northbound in the Peabody stretch just past Wendy's.

The Real BigGuy 04-30-2019 07:19 AM

My kids have tried the Peabody location. Say it isn’t as good as E. Boston

Biggd 04-30-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 310608)
My kids have tried the Peabody location. Say it isn’t as good as E. Boston

I agree but it's still better than most other pizza shops around.

Taz 04-30-2019 01:19 PM

lakes region pizza

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309855)
1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY

Sory nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO

drive up to Plymouth and try The Last Chair, they have wood fired pizza and they make their own dough. The best pizza I have had. And they have a brewery and serve their own craft beer. Its a great place.

joey2665 04-30-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 310635)
drive up to Plymouth and try The Last Chair, they have wood fired pizza and they make their own dough. The best pizza I have had. And they have a brewery and serve their own craft beer. Its a great place.

I will give it a try but I doubt it can beat my fathers dough (with New York water), mom's sauce and the best fresh mozzarella. :liplick: In a brick oven he built and designed himself.

Taz 04-30-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 310639)
I will give it a try but I doubt it can beat my fathers dough (with New York water), mom's sauce and the best fresh mozzarella. :liplick: In a brick oven he built and designed himself.

Nothing can compete with homemade but you were talking about Lakes Region pizza, not homemade NY pizza. I think Picolo is very good. Definitely better than average but I think The Last Chair is better than Picolo. IMO. Plus the Beer! Even if you don't like the pizza if your a craft beer fan its worth the trip just for a quality beer.

joey2665 04-30-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 310641)
Nothing can compete with homemade but you were talking about Lakes Region pizza, not homemade NY pizza. I think Picolo is very good. Definitely better than average but I think The Last Chair is better than Picolo. IMO. Plus the Beer! Even if you don't like the pizza if your a craft beer fan its worth the trip just for a quality beer.

OK I will try both this season and report back the results plus have a couple of beers

CL 240 LS 04-30-2019 05:48 PM

The new Elvios sign was being installed today. Hope they open soon!

JEEPONLY 05-01-2019 12:24 PM

Santarpio's too!

ACME on the Broads 05-05-2019 09:08 AM

Thrilled Elvio's in BACK!!!!!

We loved Elvio's, the pizza was our Moultonboro fix back in the early 90's until they closed. While not Regina or Santarpios, we always had good experiences there and frankly never left disappointed.

Here's wishing them well; I'm sure it will become a multiple x weekly meal at our home and for many others in and around Moultonborough.

phoenix 05-05-2019 01:56 PM

I agree with you and to me it was always good but Piccolo's is also very good. Too long ago to compare but I hope that do well. I really never liked the successor

thinkxingu 05-05-2019 06:44 PM

It would be nice to have a decent pizza place on the way to camp. I like Piccolo a lot, but they don't have much of a sitting space.

kawishiwi 05-05-2019 09:45 PM

Differing tastes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 309853)
I like most pizza. It's like the lake--even at its worst, it's still pretty awesome.

That being said, my current top 5 (not in order): 1. Veria, plain cheese, Hudson; 2. Bertucci's Ultimate Bertucci; 3. Piccolo, plain cheese, Center Harbor; 4. The Mug Pub, chicken finger and meatball, Meredith; 5. Pizzico, grilled chicken and meatball, Merrimack/Nashua.

I really like Sal's BBQ chicken, but it's just not consistent.

Really, Veria's? In Hudson NH? Weirdest pizza I have ever had, hands down, in my 58 years and that includes a LOT of pizza. That time span includes working during college at a Godfathers pizza where, I thought, we broke new ground in Weird pizza on the slow days. For me Verias was my second worst pizza experence behind only a ready to bake pizza I bought in Kazahkstan in a 7-11 like store. They had NO clue :)
More to the point of the thread, I recently tried Piccolos and found it to be excellent. Reminiscent of the pizzas of my childhood near Chicago.

thinkxingu 05-06-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 310970)
Really, Veria's? In Hudson NH? Weirdest pizza I have ever had, hands down, in my 58 years and that includes a LOT of pizza. That time span includes working during college at a Godfathers pizza where, I thought, we broke new ground in Weird pizza on the slow days. For me Verias was my second worst pizza experence behind only a ready to bake pizza I bought in Kazahkstan in a 7-11 like store. They had NO clue :)
More to the point of the thread, I recently tried Piccolos and found it to be excellent. Reminiscent of the pizzas of my childhood near Chicago.

Yes! It's the closest (Greek) pizza I've had to a childhood joint called Jimmy's in Dracut, MA. EVERY Friday until my teens--we weren't well off, so takeout pizza was a treat--we'd get a large hamburger, French fries, and an American sub for Dad. The original owners abruptly sold and new owners changed the recipe sometime in my mid-teens, and we never went back. I can still smell the pizza--I always held it on my lap--and my dad, who would pick me up directly after work smelling like machine oil.

Nostalgia makes everything taste better.

winni83 05-24-2019 04:31 PM

Elvio’s is now open. :)

thinkxingu 05-24-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 312411)
Elvio’s is now open. :)

Wish we'd known that--just stopping at Hannaford for dinner now!

Greene's Basin Girl 05-29-2019 09:05 PM

I bought a steak and cheese sub there today. it was packed full with steak and it was very good. It should be though as it cost over $10.00 with tax

VitaBene 05-30-2019 06:28 AM

I stopped and grabbed a couple of pizzas from Elvios Tuesday- very good. Even better was the news that they are delivering within 10 miles! I know for some of our members this is not a big deal, but we cannot get any food delivered in Moultonberry currently.

winni83 05-30-2019 08:24 AM

Elvio's in Moultonborough was our go to place for take our pizza before it closed years ago. Happy to see it open again. However, for a comparison, we ordered our usual pizza, sausage, mushroom and onion from Elvio's a few days ago to compare it to Piccolo's version of the same pizza. While Elvio's seemed to have more of the sausage than Piccolo's, it is a second to Piccolo's version. Have not tried any of the other items on the Elvio's menu and it is good to have another local option.

thinkxingu 06-06-2019 07:27 PM

Went to Elvio's tonight, and the pizza and wings were great. My only issue--and this really bugs me--is that there's no table service, but, when paying, a tip section is prompted.

garysanfran 06-06-2019 07:44 PM

I agree....

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313031)
Went to Elvio's tonight, and the pizza and wings were great. My only issue--and this really bugs me--is that there's no table service, but, when paying, a tip section is prompted.

The concept of tipping for paying for a take out is a strange concept. It's just an increase in the cost of the product. How about tipping the cashiers at Hannafords? Maybe a tip for the toll attendants on Rt. 93?

Overlake97 06-07-2019 05:38 AM

Prompted?

Do you mean there was a tip line on the slip that you total and then sign? If so, just ignore it. They probably can’t stop that, given their cash register set up, and won’t be expecting a tip anyway.

joey2665 06-07-2019 06:45 AM

Elvio's Pizza

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313031)

Credit card machines are not sophisticated enough to print the tip for a delivery order and not for a pick up at the counter. Just ignore it I’m sure they are not expecting a tip at the counter nor is Elvios trying to pro-port tips for their counter employees. Although if they get one I’m sure the employees don’t mind. [emoji4]

Hillcountry 06-07-2019 07:32 AM

Places I frequent for take out all have a tip jar near the register. I always tip “something” for good (and friendly) interactions for take out. May be loose change or a buck or two depending on what I spend. At Piccolo I usually tip $5 because it’s so good and they go out of their way to be pleasant and accommodating.

thinkxingu 06-07-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 313052)
Places I frequent for take out all have a tip jar near the register. I always tip “something” for good (and friendly) interactions for take out. May be loose change or a buck or two depending on what I spend. At Piccolo I usually tip $5 because it’s so good and they go out of their way to be pleasant and accommodating.

Tip jars are great/fine, but this machine prompted a tip and it took a couple button presses to get by it.

For a moment, I felt like getting off a boat in Jamaica!

phoenix 06-07-2019 09:26 AM

I think it must be the default on credit cards. I know I stopped at the airport in Las Vegas at the airport liquor store and when I used the credit card up came the line for tip. The attendant said it was optional ( duhh) . Sometimes it makes you want to just use cash.

hilltopper 06-10-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313056)
Tip jars are great/fine, but this machine prompted a tip and it took a couple button presses to get by it.

For a moment, I felt like getting off a boat in Jamaica!

I just noticed this at Sub Crazy in Meredith. Something new they're doing or a new system they have. I thought it was quite annoying. It was also uncomfortable hitting the skip button with the employee staring at you. Wonder if he spit in my sub?

joey2665 06-10-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 313154)
I just noticed this at Sub Crazy in Meredith. Something new they're doing or a new system they have. I thought it was quite annoying. It was also uncomfortable hitting the skip button with the employee staring at you. Wonder if he spit in my sub?

Should not be anymore uncomfortable than having a tip jar on the counter and not making a contribution

thinkxingu 06-10-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 313161)
Should not be anymore uncomfortable than having a tip jar on the counter and not making a contribution

There's definitely a difference--one is passive, one is active; one *appears* to be expected, one does not.

joey2665 06-10-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 313164)
There's definitely a difference--one is passive, one is active; one *appears* to be expected, one does not.

Correct but in both cases you are in front of the employee at the counter and they know immediately if you are or are not tipping them

Hillcountry 06-10-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 313154)
I Wonder if he spit in my sub?

Hah...you’ll never know will you? Either way, if any employee ever got caught doing that he/she might regret it. There are cameras everywhere but if you choose to eat out, it’s a risk you take. I do tip and make sure someone sees me put cash in the jar...I also say out loud “ a little something for you!” :D

ACME on the Broads 06-28-2019 04:11 AM

Back to the pizza

Years back, we used to frequent Elvio's regularly; this past week, we ordered two large pizzas and they were just OK; cold, light on the sauce and generally disappointed by the quality; just not what we remembered. I know we'll give them another shot because everyone can have an off experience. Truth is we have never tried Piccolos, we will now and compare the two.

Here's hoping Elvio's can restore their once incredible pizza and together, they and Piccolos can compete for bragging rights for the best Pizza in Moultonborough.

Wishing both good luck and success.

Hillcountry 06-28-2019 04:48 PM

When in Center Harbor/Moultonborough I would not go anywhere but Piccolo’s.
Why even “try” a newcomer when you KNOW the quality of the Piccolo product?
I travel a good distance when I get the Piccolo craving!