Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Loon Chicks (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23493)

Greene's Basin Girl 07-02-2018 12:36 PM

Loon Chicks

We have 2 chicks in the basin. We constantly worry about them because we have so so many boaters that come into the basin who wake board or tube. The same boat will go around and around for hours. Times that by 5 boats, it becomes dangerous for the boaters and the chicks. Please be careful out on the lake!

tis 07-02-2018 01:05 PM

GBG, as usual you are so lucky to have two chicks! We don't have any yet. I am still hoping. I know, we worry about them too. People sometimes mean well, but they get too close and endanger them while trying to look at them.

FlyingScot 07-02-2018 01:33 PM

That's super about the chicks! Have you called LPC for advice/support?

http://www.loon.org/

Jabonie 07-02-2018 02:27 PM

There was a pair of loons with two chicks hanging out on Saturday in the cove behind Worcester Island in South Wolfeboro Bay. Not sure where their nest is. A number of boats were anchored in the area (myself included) and fortunately we all left them alone and gave them plenty of space.

tis 07-02-2018 05:53 PM

I wonder if Robert's Cove had one this year. We didn't see the loon on the nest. Also haven't seen any yet by Cow/Melvin/Chase. Anybody seen any others? The Fourth is our normal date to see the babies.

upthesaukee 07-02-2018 06:41 PM

None on the nest

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 296983)
I wonder if Robert's Cove had one this year. We didn't see the loon on the nest. Also haven't seen any yet by Cow/Melvin/Chase. Anybody seen any others? The Fourth is our normal date to see the babies.

Tis, we've been out there several times. We have not seen two loons together at all. We were anchored off the SE end of Plum Island yesterday, and had a single loon come up by us, about 20 yards away. It just swam away from us after a few minutes.

We've heard loon calls, but it seemed to be a single loon calling out. We haven't gone down near the marina, sometimes they nest down there, or at least spend a lot of time down there.

Not a happy scenario. Love seeing the chicks when they do hatch.

Dave

Greene's Basin Girl 07-02-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 296956)
That's super about the chicks! Have you called LPC for advice/support?

http://www.loon.org/

The loon center knows about the chicks. We are fortunate to have chicks every year. I have been involved with trying to save the loons most of my life. We do lose one of the chicks occasionally from eagles, turtles, wakeboard boats etc. There are just too many boats in the basin. The area is not large enough for all the chaos. For example today, we had two PWC's going around and around for 2 hours. I also have a PWC, but I always respect other boaters and my surroundings. Please enjoy the lake, but remember that other boaters want to enjoy it also.

We are certainly fortunate to have the chicks, but many of us spend a great deal of time worrying about their survival.

FlyingScot 07-02-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 296993)
There are just too many boats in the basin. The area is not large enough for all the chaos. For example today, we had two PWC's going around and around for 2 hours. I also have a PWC, but I always respect other boaters and my surroundings. Please enjoy the lake, but remember that other boaters want to enjoy it also.

For those who are irritated by PWCs, wakeboards and the like, I think the biggest problem is circling behavior. If they didn't circle, there would be very few complaints

tis 07-03-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 296989)
Tis, we've been out there several times. We have not seen two loons together at all. We were anchored off the SE end of Plum Island yesterday, and had a single loon come up by us, about 20 yards away. It just swam away from us after a few minutes.

We've heard loon calls, but it seemed to be a single loon calling out. We haven't gone down near the marina, sometimes they nest down there, or at least spend a lot of time down there.

Not a happy scenario. Love seeing the chicks when they do hatch.

Dave

We always ride down to check their progress and usually she is sitting on the nest that the loon people put out. And we also have only seen a single loon this year. Maybe she is nesting somewhere else as you said. I guess we will find out soon.

upthesaukee 07-03-2018 07:52 AM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 297012)
We always ride down to check their progress and usually she is sitting on the nest that the loon people put out. And we also have only seen a single loon this year. Maybe she is nesting somewhere else as you said. I guess we will find out soon.

I agree, time will tell.

If you are motoring through the cove and see a 25 ft red & white Mariah bowrider anchored there, swing by and say hi.

Dave

FlyingScot 07-03-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 297012)

The LPC folks have told me the loons don't like visitors. Make sure to give them plenty of space, especially in a power boat

tis 07-03-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 297033)
The LPC folks have told me the loons don't like visitors. Make sure to give them plenty of space, especially in a power boat

Believe me I know. I have spent more time than you can imagine shooing people away from the babies when they are by our house.

SIKSUKR 07-05-2018 01:41 PM

Being a skier at nearby Cannon Mt,the title of this thread had me thinking about girls at Loon mt ski area!:laugh:

Leoskeys 07-17-2018 06:33 AM

Loon chick spotted

We were in Roberts Cove Sunday afternoon and saw two adult loons AND a chick swimming near plum Island. Thats the first time on six years we have seen a loon chick in person, very cool! Unfortunately we also saw three wakeboarders/tubers/skiers in the same area soon after. They all buzzed the floating nest, but the loons werent’t in it.

tis 07-17-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoskeys (Post 298019)
We were in Roberts Cove Sunday afternoon and saw two adult loons AND a chick swimming near plum Island. Thats the first time on six years we have seen a loon chick in person, very cool! Unfortunately we also saw three wakeboarders/tubers/skiers in the same area soon after. They all buzzed the floating nest, but the loons werent’t in it.

Really? I am so happy to hear that. We kept checking that nest and didn't see them sitting in it at all so didn't expect there would be a baby this year.

noreast 07-17-2018 05:14 PM

Isn't the floating nest inside of the no wake zone?

Leoskeys 07-17-2018 06:30 PM

No, the nest is not in the no wake zone. It would be nice if they moved the no wake to the North of Plum Island.

Greene's Basin Girl 07-19-2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 296953)
We have 2 chicks in the basin. We constantly worry about them because we have so so many boaters that come into the basin who wake board or tube. The same boat will go around and around for hours. Times that by 5 boats, it becomes dangerous for the boaters and the chicks. Please be careful out on the lake!

We now only have one adult male loon and one chick left.

tis 07-19-2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 298225)

Do you know for sure what happened, GBG?

ApS 07-19-2018 04:55 AM

There's That 150 Number Again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 298225)

"One hundred and fifty feet" covers a lot of circumstances on Lake Winnipesaukee...

Quote:

Biologists say people should stay at least 150 feet away from adult loons and their chicks. Boat collisions are the greatest human-related cause of chick mortality and the third highest cause of adult loon mortality, following lead poisoning or injury from fishing tackle.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...QoI/story.html
"Boat collisions"? :confused: Does that mean propellers? :eek2:

Ironic that Federal Park regulations keep people one mile from Bald Eagle nests, and Bald Eagles are a major predator of Loon chicks. :rolleye1:

donnamatrix 07-20-2018 07:30 AM

Green's Basin Loons

As I mentioned on Facebook site, Dr. Lindy North of Meadow Pond Animal Hospital was called I think on July 13 at night to try to save the female loon from Green's Basin. It is believed she was being "attacked" by a group of bachelor loons (they travel in groups) ... that she flew away - trying to get the bachelor loons to leave the chicks alone... and that she flew into a screen door. Dr. North could not save her. Not sure what happened to one of the chicks, but GBG is right: one male and one chick left. Harry Vogel of Loon Center said that it would be very difficult for the chick to be successfully raised by a single parent. Heartbreaking, really.

tis 07-20-2018 07:52 AM

That is heartbreaking. I hope somehow the baby IS old enough to survive. I keep hearing people saying they are seeing groups of loons. I wonder if this is why. They gather in the fall but usually you don't see them in groups this time of year.

Greene's Basin Girl 07-20-2018 10:16 AM

The one chick in Green's Basin continues to be cared for by the male adult loon.

iw8surf 07-20-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 296995)
For those who are irritated by PWCs, wakeboards and the like, I think the biggest problem is circling behavior. If they didn't circle, there would be very few complaints

amen. Friends don't let friends power turn!

Greene's Basin Girl 07-20-2018 11:52 AM

The one chick in Green's Basin continues to be cared for by the male adult loon.

tis 07-20-2018 03:00 PM

We just saw the baby in Robert's Cove. He is getting big.

swnoel 07-21-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 298230)
"One hundred and fifty feet" covers a lot of circumstances on Lake Winnipesaukee...

"Boat collisions"? :confused: Does that mean propellers? :eek2:

Ironic that Federal Park regulations keep people one mile from Bald Eagle nests, and Bald Eagles are a major predator of Loon chicks. :rolleye1:

Not to mention other birds of prey including owls.

ApS 07-21-2018 07:53 AM

"Batchelors"

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 298306)
That is heartbreaking. I hope somehow the baby IS old enough to survive. I keep hearing people saying they are seeing groups of loons. I wonder if this is why. They gather in the fall but usually you don't see them in groups this time of year.

Seldom, anyway...

Last Tuesday, one of this group sounded a modified alarm call (three syllables*, instead of two) as two lightning-rich thunderstorms passed on either side of Wolfeboro.

*I'm learning how they "talk". ;)

These summer groups may be the ones termed "batchelors" by birders. I might know more at the end of the month, when I'll be touring with a group of knowledgeable "birders".

tis 07-21-2018 08:42 AM

Exactly APS and I have never heard of them in groups before except, as I said, in the fall when they gather to leave.

upthesaukee 07-28-2018 03:15 PM

Saw it yesterday

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 298346)
We just saw the baby in Robert's Cove. He is getting big.

We were in Robert's Cove yesterday with family, and as we were leaving (to beat the thunderstorms that were approaching, we passed baby and a parent swimming and diving of the northeast corner of Plum Is. It is getting big, but still bobs to the surface after a dive.

Dave

tis 07-28-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 298910)
We were in Robert's Cove yesterday with family, and as we were leaving (to beat the thunderstorms that were approaching, we passed baby and a parent swimming and diving of the northeast corner of Plum Is. It is getting big, but still bobs to the surface after a dive.

Dave

He IS getting big!

upthesaukee 07-30-2018 08:10 PM

Loon chick picture

1 Attachment(s)
Robert's Cove loon chick with parent. 7-29-2018

Dave

Greene's Basin Girl 07-31-2018 11:26 AM

Daddy loon and chick continue to survive in the Green's Basin. Yippee!!!

thinkxingu 07-31-2018 11:45 AM

There've been five or so BIG loons hanging around Hanson Cove this last week. I haven't seen baby much, so I'm not sure if it's a massive defense flotilla or what, but I've never seen so many adults together as I have this year.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

tis 07-31-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 299160)
There've been five or so BIG loons hanging around Hanson Cove this last week. I haven't seen baby much, so I'm not sure if it's a massive defense flotilla or what, but I've never seen so many adults together as I have this year.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I keep hearing this. I haven't seen them.

GBG, so happy Dad and the baby are still ok!!

upthesaukee 08-05-2018 05:37 PM

Loon chick

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot of the loon chick with mom (?). Robert's Cove.

Greene's Basin Girl 08-06-2018 12:45 PM

Great Photo!

barndoor 08-21-2018 09:00 PM

Loon Chicks

There were 7 loons swimming together this AM on the west side of Big Barndoor.
I have never seen that many loons in such close proximity. It was remarkable.

Greene's Basin Girl 08-23-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barndoor (Post 300637)
There were 7 loons swimming together this AM on the west side of Big Barndoor.
I have never seen that many loons in such close proximity. It was remarkable.

Saw the loon chick and his daddy last night in front of our house (Green's Basin)