Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pops Clam Shell (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9981)

ishoot308 05-23-2010 04:46 PM

Pops Clam Shell

We took a boat ride to Alton Bay today and decided to hit Pop's for a late lunch. Food was fantastic and the size of the portions was just way too much for one person.

I ordered a lobster roll clam plate that was wonderful. Huge chunks of lobster served on a toasted hot dog roll. The clams were cooked to perfection and delicious. The wife had a combination scallop / shrimp plate that she said was just great.

There is literally enough food on one plate to feed three people!! Next time we go we are going to split a plate and I guarantee there will still be some leftovers!!

I have had my summer fix of fried seafood now and sure am glad I got it at Pop's!!

Dan

Slickcraft 05-23-2010 06:36 PM

When it is time for our annual fried clam fix we go to Pop's and split a clam plate sitting on the upper deck. Always great clams and one plate is plenty for the two of us.
And mentioning Pop's out loud; I have just been reminded that it is time for this year's fix!

hancoveguy 05-24-2010 09:29 AM

You mentioned that you boated over to it... I have never boated to Alton, is there public docking? and is it near Pops?

We are always in search of places to boat to for food or whatever...

P.s. How are their prices?

ishoot308 05-24-2010 09:38 AM

Hancoveguy;

Yes Alton has some nice public docks right across the street from Pops. Actually there are a few restaurants right at the docks (Shibleys, Olde Bay Diner and a couple others). Prices are fair considering the amount of food they give you. Clam and lobster roll plate was $23.95 but could easily feed two people with leftovers!

Dan

hancoveguy 05-24-2010 03:17 PM

Outstanding... Being new to boating and the lake we haven't gotten out much and this sounds like our next adventure across the lake..

Thanks again,
HCG

mcdude 05-24-2010 05:22 PM

click for....

SUMMER 2010 MENU

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/s...pspostcard.jpg

Rattlesnake Guy 05-25-2010 05:42 PM

RG and I split a medium side of clam strips and a medium onion ring with a soda for me for under $20. We are full.

Slickcraft 05-25-2010 06:41 PM

Dude, I assume that the photo shows Pop's prior to the adjoining building with the upper deck and with a different color scheme. The cars look like early 50's. Was the place still Pop's back then selling fried clams? Is there a story to the name "Pop's"?

pops 05-25-2010 07:24 PM

That is a very old photo. My father inlaw and I cedar shaked and stained the building around 1987. the dining room was added some time in the seventys I think. It was called Andrews clam bar previous to being named Pop's in 1977. We still use the same recipe that the Andrews started with.
The buildings sit on what used to be part of the train station.

Pop's

robmac 05-26-2010 08:50 AM

And the food is awsome,went Sat. and they never disappoint.

eyenotall777 07-12-2010 04:31 PM

Lob/Clam Plate

My husband and I got the Lobster Roll/Clam Plate and split it out on the boat Fri night. It was plenty for 2 if not 3 people.:liplick:

Don 07-19-2010 09:35 AM

Pop's Lobster Roll

I stopped in Alton Bay on Saturday evening because of all the activity. There was live music at the bandstand and lots of people enjoying the beautiful summer weather.

The line wasn't too long at Pop's so I went over to check out the menu. The food coming out the window looked amazing. Huge overflowing dishes of fried fish, scallops and all kinds of seafood that made my mouth water.

It had been a while since I had a lobster roll so I decided to order one. I hadn't seen one come out but I assumed it would be as good as all the fried food looked. I must say I was disappointed. It was really a lobster salad roll, not a lobster roll. It was a hot dog bun filled with lettuce with a thin layer of lobster salad spread across the top of the lettuce. I dug through it and did find a few little pieces of what resembled lobster but most of it was the blended spread. I could barely detect the taste of lobster.

I also ordered a side order of calamari and that was great. The large and tender pieces of calamari were delicious and the order was huge.

The fried seafood at Pop's has to rate with the best around the lake. Unfortunately the lobster (salad) roll doesn't get such high marks from me. It made me long for the lobster roll at the old Waldo Peppers, stuffed with real lobster meat and served with drawn butter. That was really good.

upthesaukee 07-19-2010 09:29 PM

Agree

We also went to Pop's on Sat eve and brought our meal back to the boat. Wife had a lobster roll, and although she didn't say anything, I did not see a lot of lobster in it, way too much mayo, and I too would describe it as a lobster salad roll rather than a lobster roll.

On the flip side, I had a fried clam roll which was fantastic and huge. We also made the mistake of getting a medium order of onion rings, when a small would have sufficed. OR's were very good as well.

Marko 08-04-2010 03:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
AWESOME! PLACE ROCKS! THIS IS A MUST STOP IN THE LAKES REGION!

Attachment 4055

Actually went here a lot in the 60's and 70's when it was called Andrews and the place hasn't changed much and the food and portions are super duper! This was our first stop last week as we drove up from the Manchester Airport and couldn't have picked a nicer day.

Attachment 4057

For lunch we had the small onion rings which is more than enough for two people plus a great hot dog and delicious thick cheeseburger with all the trimmings for $9 while we overlooked Alton Bay. Enjoying some tasty Pop's food and taking in the wonderful scenery was an excellent way to start our week vacation in the Lakes Region!

Attachment 4056

Great family memories from days past eating at this place. This guy was really happy to see it hadn't changed much and the portions are still huge! The light breading on the onion rings rock!
Attachment 4058

My hat is off to the new owner Pops for making this guys trip truly wonderful!
It may not be called Andrews any more, but it still feels and taste like it, thanks so much Pop's!

Marko
St Petersburg, FL

Seeker 08-04-2010 06:34 PM

Been missing out.

Can't count the number of times over many years that we've been by Pop's. Only stopped once before to find them closed - kinda off season.

Well today we headed there as our destination and Mrs Seeker and I ordered a small fried clams, small calamari and small onion rings. I didn't think it would be nearly enough due to the size of the paper trays they have. Boy, was I wrong. We couldn't finish everything but I managed to finish the clams. You get more clams on a small side than most places give you on a full clam plate and they are great. Best I have had in the lakes region. Onion rings were thin and very good. Only wish they served tentacles with the calamari and not just rings.

They also have Moxie, my favorite. :D We will be back.

Irish mist 08-04-2010 08:22 PM

Old-Time

I love those pictures of Pops:) Reminds me of old-time NH before the box-stores & those silly neo-colonial fake brick buildings.

VitaBene 08-04-2010 09:42 PM

I love stopping at Pop's when rounding the lake on the bike, great food and views!