Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which thread(s) did you enjoy most this year? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7067)

This'nThat 12-09-2008 07:41 PM

Which thread(s) did you enjoy most this year?

As the year draws to a close, I am curious -- which thread did you enjoy the most these past 12 months? Not which one was most popular; or which one you contributed to the most. But, which one did you really think stood out the most? And why? Maybe you like it because it was informative. Or because it was funny. Or because it brought out the best (or worst, and you couldn't help re-look often) comments from Forum members. Or maybe it's your special-interest topic. Let us know. AND DON'T TRY TO RE-START THE THREAD. This question isn't designed to start (or renew) any debates.

For example, my favorite was the Lost JIMMY thread under General Discussion. Why? Because a lot of people really did an excellent play on words throughout. It was fun, and I had to go back and read the new posts every day for weeks.

What about you?

Hermit Cover 12-09-2008 11:00 PM

Fave Thread....

I think my favorite thread.....is this one....now all we have to do is get it going:laugh:

Senter Cove Guy 12-09-2008 11:41 PM

Favorite Thread

One of my favorites was "Treasure hunting in Lake Winnipesaukee".

Since I'm a diver, I love hearing all the tales that Winnipesaukee Divers has to tell. I've had one great under water Winnipesaukee moment when I found the old Oldsmobile that I searched for but Winnipesaukee Divers has many, many more. The more I read about what he's found, the more it makes me want to go diving and exploring. Once you get "the bug", you're hooked!

CHSLTD 12-10-2008 08:06 AM

Underwater pictures thread

Can't recall the name of the thread but it had the underwater pictures posted...still amazed!

riverat 12-10-2008 08:46 AM

I enjoy the Restaurant Review threads, they seem to have more participation. The Waldo Pepper's threads were intersting. Also loved the Lost Jimmie thread.

trfour 12-10-2008 09:16 AM

purely by accident....

the jimmy thread turned into fun and entertainment for me as well.
It gets my vote for one of the best for 2008, and it sure took some of the sting out of the Wall Street news of late.
My thanks to Mcdude and all of the fun folk's out here. :)

SLI 12-10-2008 10:18 AM

Lost Jimmie!

I haven't laughed over anything as much as the funny puns that people came up with regarding vehicles! I still can go back to that thread and find myself laughing all over again. What a creative group of people on this thread!
Thanks to all of you for your humor...it's contagious!

chipj29 12-10-2008 12:27 PM

By far the Jimmy thread...

Argie's Wife 12-10-2008 12:43 PM

My favorite threads this year were the ones about the history of the lake, like many of the McDude threads, or the ones about what's IN the lake - i.e. treasurers. I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge here!

By favorite post tho was the one announcing how much money we raised for The Loon Preservation Center this year. The goodies at the raffle were awesome (like Quilt Lady's quilt!) and folks were generous buying tickets - but you all made it happen. That was the best! :)

granitebox 12-10-2008 12:51 PM

Lake Temps/Ice In

The weather threads and particularly ice in and out threads are my pick. Pretty non controversial but we've got some great meteorologists providing data.

sa meredith 12-10-2008 01:11 PM

restaurant threads...

Always enjoy the restaurant threads.
Always go from informative to a debate to mean to purely vicious. And almost always entertaining. But really, great info, 9 out of 10 times.
Tough to pick a single favorite...
Can narrow down to two, from the past summer:
1. Lobster Pound...and stories of long waits, and short staffed, and missing scallops, and bad chocolate milk (proved to be false).
2. Kitchen Cravings..and of course, the half tables. Good fun!

Also worth a mention...the "Dogs of Winni" started by Pineedles. Great photos.

And the one where the guy drove his boat right into the witches...

SIKSUKR 12-10-2008 01:15 PM

I can't pick one

For sure the funny ones are most enjoyable but I'll have say that I really enjoy a good debate so I'll say begrudgingly the speed limit threads until they crossed the line into personal attacks.Also,any thread with M&M's humor and a little FLL mixed in.Lastly,anything McDude posts is the top of the line in my book.

webmaster 12-10-2008 01:54 PM

One of my favorite threads this year was Another Alton Bay Landmark bites the dust. It started as a sad note that the Blue Jay Mini-Golf was being torn down but evolved into Alton Bay nostalgia and history complete with pictures. Before long the grandson of the previous owner gave us more information and then the new owner heard about the discussion and completed the story.

The Boating Accident/Death off Diamond Island and the Weirs Beach Boardwalk Washed away! threads also were among my favorites since they covered these important incidents better than most newspapers. No wonder so many people from the media follow this forum.

The Jimmy thread and other light hearted threads were also welcome during these times when we could all use a good laugh. I also loved the Dogs on Winnipesaukee thread with so many great pictures.

Last year one of my favorites was the Boat Sinking????? thread. This thread really had it all including a little unfortunate bickering between members. We got great information about the potential reasons for the sinking and reports from some witnesses who were on the scene. There were reports during the search for the boat and pictures of it sitting on the bottom. We learned a lot about potential recovery methods then several forum members watched and photographed the recovery of the boat which nicely brought the thread full circle.

As usual there was lots of interesting information on the Forum this year. Thanks to all the members who make this such a great and entertaining resource!

kaj 12-10-2008 02:55 PM

My vote goes to Jimmy

I actually checked this thread out a few times a day to see if there were any new posts.

gtxrider 12-10-2008 03:45 PM

Favorites

One common theme...stuff under water Boat Sinking and JIMMY in the lake. I also enjoy the History stuff.

Pineedles 12-10-2008 03:57 PM

Dogs on Winnipesaukee

I know I started the thread, but I can't tell you all how much I enjoyed seeing, and still see new ones appearing, the pictures of your dogs, and cats. I loved the camo kitty in the sink particularly. :)

I too was fascinated with the speed limits thread. Another was the dive pictures of all the stuff being brought up from the bottom of the lake.

nicole 12-10-2008 04:00 PM

There really is not one specific thread. However being a fairly new resident to Weir's Beach, I love reading the posts about the history of the Lakes region. I love when people post about stores, resturants, etc. that are no longer around. I really am trying to learn a lot of the great history and culture of this great area. I really love when you all post about your years of experiences in the lakes region. I also love reading the posts about those who live on some of the islands.

I love the posts about food, resturants, stores etc. in the area. We have visited a lot of places because of posts on here and there are still many on our list.:liplick:

Nicole

Pineedles 12-10-2008 07:40 PM

That was a real nice second post Nicole.

fatlazyless 12-10-2008 07:57 PM

Probably, I like the highly opinionated and argumentative posts where people have a do or die attitude to make their argument no matter how far-fetched.

So, sometimes you win,
and sometimes,
YOU LOSE!
:banana::banana::cheers::cheers::banana::banana:

Gotta go, time to take my meds....

GTO 12-11-2008 11:29 AM

most fun

The skiimobile skimming in July was a fun thread

SIKSUKR 12-11-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 85772)
That was a real nice second post Nicole.

I second that Pineedles but that was actually her 36th.I think you saw 2 blog posts.

ITD 12-11-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 85776)
and sometimes,
YOU LOSE!
:banana::banana::cheers::cheers::banana::banana:

Gotta go, time to take my meds....

But for how long Less, how long? Two years by my estimation, time will tell.......

Ropetow 12-11-2008 05:04 PM

The lost Jimmy thread gets my vote. It came at just the right time and the puns were amazingly funny.

Sunset Bob 12-11-2008 05:05 PM

I Like Photo Post

My favorite part of this site is photp post.I get to post my sometimes not so great photos and I enjoy all the great photos that other post.
I also liked the Jimmy thread and the posts from the divers about whats down there.
Last year the boat sinking thread was good too as I was there with other forum members to watch sea tow raise it.
Heck I like anything to do with THE BIG LAKE.

Merrymeeting 12-15-2008 12:43 PM

Ice out!

For me every year, it has to be the ice-out threads. Not having a year-round home on the lake, by ice-out time I am in severe lake withdrawl (despite the occasional day trip). Ice out coincides with my ability to open the house, turn on the water, and revitalize myself with a night spent at the lake, no matter how cold!