Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Golf for NH second home owner (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25835)

beantownbaby 05-29-2020 03:35 PM

Golf for NH second home owner

Our legal residence is elsewhere, but for a large portion of time we are up at Lake Winnipesaukee where we enjoy our vacation home and pay taxes into N.H. we have been up here for the past three months, so we don’t fall into the transient tourist category I believe the governor is trying to discourage from bringing virus into the state. And now we want to be able to play golf when not working.

The issue is you have to have a N.H. drivers license. Owning a home is not resident enough. Does anyone know if there is any way to be able to play golf in our situation? Thanks.

Outdoorsman 05-29-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beantownbaby (Post 335741)
Our legal residence is elsewhere, but for a large portion of time we are up at Lake Winnipesaukee where we enjoy our vacation home and pay taxes into N.H. we have been up here for the past three months, so we don’t fall into the transient tourist category I believe the governor is trying to discourage from bringing virus into the state. And now we want to be able to play golf when not working.

The issue is you have to have a N.H. drivers license. Owning a home is not resident enough. Does anyone know if there is any way to be able to play golf in our situation? Thanks.

If you are a member of the golf club, you can play. Residents and Members.... this included camp grounds as well.

Mr. V 05-29-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Not sure if it would work, but I'd bring some bills you've gotten for your NH residence to the golf course to show them your bonafides.

If they balk, threaten to sue: that'll shut em up.

WinnisquamZ 05-29-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Can’t golf but you could vote in November. Crazy stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 05-30-2020 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 335765)
Can’t golf but you could vote in November. Crazy stuff

No, you cannot vote in any election unless you are a resident. Your drivers license is used by the state to determine residency.

Riviera 05-30-2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 335742)
If you are a member of the golf club, you can play.

Correct. Become a member of a club, and you will be permitted to play at that club. There is no other option that is compliant with the Stay at Home order.

tbonies 05-30-2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 335755)
Not sure if it would work, but I'd bring some bills you've gotten for your NH residence to the golf course to show them your bonafides.

You mean try to violate what the State has directed and if that doesn't work, try playing tough guy? Great advice.

Hillcountry 05-30-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 335767)
No, you cannot vote in any election unless you are a resident. Your drivers license is used by the state to determine residency.

But “students” that are “domiciled” in a NH college, even though non-residents are allowed to vote, aren’t they?

Garcia 05-30-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 335781)
But “students” that are “domiciled” in a NH college, even though non-residents are allowed to vote, aren’t they?

Yes, students can vote in the state where they attend, provided they take the time to register. You cannot be registered to vote in two places.

I'm not a golfer but was surprised to learn about the restrictions placed on out of state golfers.

upthesaukee 05-30-2020 08:27 AM

Don't go there with me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 335781)

Granted, in my college days, the voting age was 21. I went in the service at age 21, and maintained my home address in MA as my legal address. I got most of my mail at the mall room. When it came time to vote, I sent for, received, and returned an absentee ballot. I did that (we after wife and I married) until we established legal residence elsewhere 7 1/2 years after I entered the AF. We no longer had MA driver's licenses, we were renting in the community, our kids went to public schools, my wife worked in the community, we registered to vote (after proving our residency with a picture ID and utility bills), and we voted in our community.

If the young adults who are not paying NH taxes, registering their vehicles in NH, and obtaining NH driver's licenses while attending schools, colleges, universities, etc. In NH and want to vote in an election, let them get an absentee ballot from their home of record.
That's what the absentee ballot is for, among other reasons.

End of rant & back to the subject of golf:cool:

Dave

WinnisquamZ 05-30-2020 08:31 AM

Agree. I do apologize for adding the voter information. With that said, have the golf courses been active? Tee time availability?

Mr. V 05-30-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonies (Post 335773)
You mean try to violate what the State has directed and if that doesn't work, try playing tough guy? Great advice.

I would argue that a local property owner and tax payer has the same bonafides as a year round resident.

Chris M 05-30-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Maybe slip the attendant a $20. We can pretend we're free men once in a while and be rebels I think. :)

secondcurve 05-31-2020 06:36 AM

You can’t play golf but feel free to go to any large city and burn cars, throw rocks and break windows. All that stuff is perfectly acceptable.

WeLoveTheLake 05-31-2020 06:58 AM

It is the same for a fishing license.

Even though we pay thousands in property taxes, water bill, boat registration fees, we have to pay the higher rate for a fishing license. Why?
Live free or Die.

Seaplane Pilot 05-31-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake (Post 335848)
It is the same for a fishing license.

Even though we pay thousands in property taxes, water bill, boat registration fees, we have to pay the higher rate for a fishing license. Why?
Live free or Die.

What about people that live in NH, but work in Mass or Maine? They have to pay State income tax to the state where they work, but what benefits do they receive? In addition, I believe if one spouse works in Maine, but the other doesn’t, the state income tax is based on both of their earnings. How the hell is that fair? (I’m not an accountant, so I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s true.)

WeLoveTheLake 05-31-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 335865)
What about people that live in NH, but work in Mass or Maine? They have to pay State income tax to the state where they work, but what benefits do they receive? In addition, I believe if one spouse works in Maine, but the other doesn’t, the state income tax is based on both of their earnings. How the hell is that fair? (I’m not an accountant, so I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s true.)

Agreed, you do make a good point.
There should be an out of state reduced tax rate, unless you qualify for Mass or Maine benefits.

garysanfran 05-31-2020 10:10 AM

Taxation without representation...

Lots of taxes and no say!!!

Paugus Bay Resident 05-31-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 335873)
Lots of taxes and no say!!!

But, doesn't everybody know this when they purchase a property?

tis 05-31-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

That was true about Maine SP but somebody told me that was changed. But the person working there still has to pay the tax on their salary.

upthesaukee 05-31-2020 02:21 PM

I think you're right

Quote:

Somewhere between 2000 and 2005, a customer I worked closely with, when I was at Staples, casually asked me if I was happy working there and satisfied with my wages. I kinda went Ehhhhhhh, with a little frown.

He worked for Pratt and Whitney in Berwick ME and said they were hiring and paid well, but I worked have to pay ME income taxes, and he thought they would grab at least a portion of my wife's wages as well. I didn't pursue it.

Dave

tbonies 05-31-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident (Post 335875)
But, doesn't everybody know this when they purchase a property?

Yes, everyone knows. But some people are wired to continue whining. Just change the channel.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-31-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonies (Post 335917)
Yes, everyone knows. But some people are wired to continue whining. Just change the channel.

A civilized discussion on this topic shouldn’t be considered whining. The topic of resident vs. non-resident taxpayers has been going on for decades, and isn’t likely to end any time soon. I am surprised that there aren’t more complaints from the non- residents because as taxes increase they still have no say in local government. However, they knew the score, or should have, when they purchased their property. What I find galling in our town (Moultonborough), quite a number of the residents feel quite entitled to “stick it to the non- resident taxpayers” who, by the way, pay 75% of the property taxes. I say this as a resident taxpayer, but it strikes me as greed on steroids to have this attitude. Forgive me...this thread seems to have veered off course from non- resident golfing (accidental pun).

upthesaukee 05-31-2020 07:54 PM

Returning to golf

The thread either hooked or sliced into the rough, maybe even out of bounds. :cool:

Dave

beantownbaby 05-31-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 335927)
The thread either hooked or sliced into the rough, maybe even out of bounds. :cool:

Dave

This certainly did go off the rails. I was really just trying to gauge if there was anything anyone knew to do for hubs to be able to enjoy golf with former work colleagues while the Covid restrictions were in place and we are up here for the duration. Thanks for the answers that were on topic. Stay healthy all.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-31-2020 08:13 PM

Staying on topic...promise

Quote:

Originally Posted by beantownbaby (Post 335928)
This certainly did go off the rails. I was really just trying to gauge if there was anything anyone knew to do for hubs to be able to enjoy golf with former work colleagues while the Covid restrictions were in place and we are up here for the duration. Thanks for the answers that were on topic. Stay healthy all.

Our grandson (MA) has played regularly ay Ridgewood C.C. in past years. I have no idea what their restrictions might be, if any, this year. You might want to give them a try, depending on your location. Ridgewood is on 109 in Moultonborough. 476-5930.

secondcurve 05-31-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Dave

Actually I think we hit the ball into six feet of water!

rander7823 06-01-2020 11:42 AM

Stroke & Distance

Quote:

Dave

It time to take stroke and distance go back to the tee and hit it again

BoatHouse 06-01-2020 12:51 PM

Kingswood Golf course - Wolfeboro

I too was trying to figure out how play golf as an out of state homeowner in NH.

Called the local golf course, Kingswood where I have played a few times each year.

Not only have they limited tee times to Members and NH residents as the Governors order requires, but they have made it Members only. Seems many members were not going to renew their memberships because they didn't think they would play as much this summer.

Once they made it member only, the memberships increased. I was told they are offering offer a 5 play NH resident only, but only see that on their Facebook page.

They have also eliminated the non-equity discount option so you need to pay the full member equity rate if you are over 41 and want to play before 2pm.

I was looking to get a membership for myself and my son who is a college student. This would have cost $3,179($2,240+$939). If I thought we would play 10 or more times this year, I would have done it. Or if I knew I could have a guest join me at a reduced rate, I would have done it. They did offer to reduce my membership by $500, which I think is a good deal and would have done it if I knew I could have out of state guests.

In the end, I decided to wait and see what happens June 15 when/if the stay at home order expires.

Major 06-01-2020 12:55 PM

Lochmere

At the risk of ruining it for them with all of the do-gooders, try Lochmere. My sons played there last week, and they did not check IDs. Good luck!

Descant 06-02-2020 01:38 PM

Back down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 335755)

That's just plain silly. No club manager will risk being shut down for doing something illegal for a nasty non-resident. "Yes officer. He's the one who threatened me. The only car in the lot with MA plates."

Mr. V 06-02-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 336109)
That's just plain silly. No club manager will risk being shut down for doing something illegal for a nasty non-resident.

Ah, but if you own property in NH in are living / staying there when you wish to golf, are you not residing in NH?

Dual homes folks arguably are residing in the state in which they currently are staying: that's my argument, anyway.

It is beyond absurd to deny golf privileges to people who own real estate in NH, who pay your ridiculous taxes, and who are currently spending the night in their NH home.

legend10 06-05-2020 09:12 AM

Yesterday the NH Task Force voted in favor that NH Golf move to Phase 2 (which would include courses opening up to non residents). However, I am not sure how quickly this will be approved by Sununu

WinnisquamZ 06-05-2020 09:43 AM

“Approved by Sununu”. Has a odd ring to it

Hillcountry 06-05-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 336246)
“Approved by Sununu”. Has a odd ring to it

Sounds 100% better than say...”approved by Cuomo” :rolleye1:

WinnisquamZ 06-05-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 336263)

True

Jersey Bob 06-05-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 336263)

Or “approved by Murphy!“

The Eagle 06-07-2020 06:39 AM

Golf restriction question

I can understand why NH does not want out of state people (RE: MA) to "Socialize" because of the "Covid-19 counts" are high in MA. But someone brought up a good point! What about NH residents coming to MA to work, and then returning to NH to "Socialize". Weren't or couldn't they have been exposed to Covid-19 while in MA, and bring it back, then golf with other NH residents, and spreading it around? Why aren't NH residents following MA RULES, and "Self Quarantining" themselves for 14 days when they come into MA. They could have been exposed to the virus in NH and bringing it to MA and spreading it around as well! Doesn't YOUR NH rules state ANYONE entering NH after traveling from another state should be self quarantining themselves for 14 days, not golfing? Just my own personal view!
The Eagle