Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moultonboro Trails closed for the season (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18888)

chrider 03-14-2015 05:31 PM

Moultonboro Trails closed for the season

The season was brief but GREAT conditions. Thank you to the volunteers who made it happen. You guys great. We would not have the trails with out you. Special thanks to the groomers! See you next season and at the annual BBQ this April.

:)

GTO 03-14-2015 09:20 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrider (Post 241606)
The season was brief but GREAT conditions. Thank you to the volunteers who made it happen. You guys great. We would not have the trails with out you. Special thanks to the groomers! See you next season and at the annual BBQ this April.

:)

First year riders and members of the moultonboro skimobiles club. Thanks to all that made this season possible with all the grooming and marking of the trails and everything else that goes on behind the scenes. That goes to all the clubs. Also, thank you to the landowners that let us use your yards for trails!!!

carno 03-15-2015 12:07 PM

Castle access

Hello, we access the castle trail from states landing...will gate be open to castle parking lot from 109@states landing?...also is access to 200 from castle lot closed as well? hoping to get a last ride in Monday tuesday to shaw and ossipee..any help is appreciated...thanks

chrider 03-15-2015 12:56 PM

access from States Landing

Yes, all Moultonboro trails are closed and gates are already up or they are in the process. Riding on these trails will damage the trails and possibly your sled. Any place that is sunny has bald spots the size of trucks. You can trailer over to Castle parking and go up Shaw or toward Tuftonboro from there; if they are open. I don't know if they are open or closed. If you're going to trailer, you might as well go north though.

carno 03-15-2015 03:03 PM

Moultonborough trails

Thanks for the update...looks like we will just trailer over to whiteface and ride from there...ossipee is still in decent shape...last ride of the year

bruinsfan 03-16-2015 02:38 PM

Newbie question: How long is the average season in the Lakes region?

dam1960 03-16-2015 04:10 PM

Can vary depending on if you rely on the lake to gain access. Typically 3rd - 4th week of January for the lake to freeze. Making it to St Patrick's day is usually our goal.

We rode every weekend beginning 1/24/15 through this past weekend 3/15/15. We rely heavily on the lake to gain access to all trails.

The last two seasons have been excellent, there are others years not so much.

secondcurve 03-16-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan (Post 241671)
Newbie question: How long is the average season in the Lakes region?

Two months is a long season around Winnipesaukee.

SAB1 03-17-2015 05:47 AM

Agree with second curve. I always figure February is the lake area riding. I never bank on getting past the first weekend in March around. If there is still snow it is often thin and the sun works some areas quickly. If you like to snowmobile, buying one is a commitment to travel if you want to ride it a lot. That said, in my brief 4 or 5 years of riding, the difference between marginal or no riding can sometimes be only a half hour drive away. I have found marginal snow in moultonboro/wolfeboro area but towed up to White Lake state park area and found great snow. Sometimes you have to go further but you just need to do research.

HomeWood 03-17-2015 06:31 AM

My family bought a new place in Sanbornton, so I joined the local club there (Mohawk Trail Riders). I went out in the Tucker this past Friday to go for a groomer ride. We were out for over 6 hours. It is truly work and there is a science to it. I've never done it before. It should give anybody a new appreciation for what it takes to keep a nice trail system. I know I learned a few new things. Those that like to ride off trail need to take a ride sometime! There can never really be enough volunteers to help with all that needs to be done. Cheers to a great season! (Even though I didn't get to ride nearly as much as I wanted to :rolleye2:)

sluggo 03-17-2015 07:21 AM

Just want to says thanks for the great job you guys did on the Moultonborough trails again this year ! Rode the lake yesterday and it was fantastic with the new snow and all over in the Alton and Wolfeboro area. By the time I got home I ripped off 91 miles...... Checked on the ice thickness and I was seeing an average of 27 inches and more across the lake...

Winopt 03-17-2015 12:27 PM

Sluggo - short of cutting into the ice, is there a way to determine the ice thickness? How did you determine that the average thickness was 27"?

chrider 03-17-2015 03:09 PM

Riding in the groomer

TO homewood:
KUDOS for riding shot gun in the groomer! I wish more people would take ride in the groomer to appreciate how much work goes in to the trails. There is a science to grooming, it's not just riding around. I personally enjoy grooming and have worked every trail in Moultonboro. If anybody would like to go for a ride next year, just let me know. We usually groom late at night or predawn.

sluggo 03-17-2015 03:22 PM

Winopt.... I work on the lake and I also ice fish.... I drilled holes from Alton to spindle point when I was out yesterday and did some fishing. I talked to a few guys fishing around the lake and took a measurement of there fishing holes also. Trust me if I had some magic to determine the ice thickness just looking at it ide be a rich man ! If we don't warm up soon its going to be a late ice out. My thoughts are the 20th of April or latter !

stynx55 03-17-2015 04:51 PM

Awesome job with the trails this year!!!! I rode over 1500 miles just out of my place in Moultonborough:) I'm going to have over 2500 for the season. I was hoping to ride the lake this weekend and putz around, hopefully I will be able too. Awesome Job this season MSC!!!!!!

VitaBene 03-17-2015 08:24 PM

Thank you from all of the volunteers for your kind words. It is a big part of the reason we do what we do!!

Winopt 03-17-2015 10:44 PM

Thanks Sluggo. I'm going to talk to an engineer buddy of mine and see if he can design an ap for it. Wouldn't be cool to point a device down and get a thickness? Someday!

sluggo 03-18-2015 08:45 AM

Funny... years ago we rescued a guy that fell through the ice and I asked him what in the world was he thinking and he told me he had an ice meter that told him what the ice thickness was ! I still like drilling the hole ......:laugh: