Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Leaves are Falling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27571)

TheProfessor 11-04-2021 05:34 PM

Leaves are Falling

One explanation of why leaves fall.
And yes, leaves do fall in the Fall in the Lakes Region.

LEAVESFALLING

Some, few, many do clean up the leaves. What is your method, if any?

8gv 11-04-2021 07:10 PM

Leaf me alone!

Our first home had a yard that was a 125 bagger!

It was torture watching my wife rake and bag all those leaves. :D

We have a small lot now so it's not so bad but we do write a check to get them done these days.

One must conserve one's body capital for fun activities.

SailinAway 11-04-2021 08:10 PM

I tried something new this year. I mowed the leaves where they lay and didn't pick them up. It looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure the leaves will have disintegrated into the soil by spring. How come more people don't do this?

Two exceptions: the section with pine needles needs to be raked (multiple times every year), and walnut leaves cannot be left on the ground because they're toxic to the grass. My method: large self-standing plastic bags and a plastic manure rake (Tractor Supply) to pick up the leaves. Thank God this was not pine cone or walnut drop season.

Totally agree about preservation of body capital!

Descant 11-04-2021 09:14 PM

I'm confused. Doesn't your landscaper pick them up?

GodSmile 11-05-2021 05:38 AM

Tractor

Each 0ctober I convert my tractor (which is typically set up for mulching) to bagging. The bagging unit picks up the leaves well, provided I keep up with it (mow at least once per week). I am able to spread the leaves in woods behind the house.

For mulched areas of the yard, we use a leaf blower/rake.

All in all, not too arduous even though we have over an acre to care for.

hilltopper 11-05-2021 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 363948)
I tried something new this year. I mowed the leaves where they lay and didn't pick them up. It looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure the will have disintegrated into the soil by spring. How come more people don't do this?

I have a large yard and I use the mowing method. One more leaf mow this weekend and the riding mower will go into hibernation. Works great. Then just a couple of hours of leaf blowing along the house where I can't mow.

I used to spend hours leaf blowing the entire yard until I got wise to the mowing method.

fatlazyless 11-05-2021 06:16 AM

The month of November has got to be the busiest time over at the Meredith Transfer Station for disposing leaves, pine needles, fallen tree limbs, and brush.

A small trailer is actually more difficult to back it up in a straight line than a longer trailer, and its always somewhat of a challenge to get it positioned good at the Meredith leaf dump area. Getting the old utility trailer positioned just right on that first try and it's a GOOD day, and everything is working great on all four Subaru cylinders! ..... :D

thinkxingu 11-05-2021 06:19 AM

I think the mow method depends on the amount of trees you have. In my front yard, I can mow once or twice and the leaves will crumble. In my back, however, it gets gross with giant piles of crumbles.

Also, there are almost always little sticks and twigs in those piles, so the mower's blades get chewed up.

We tend to rake onto a tarp and put it on a trailer to bring to the recycle center. Lighter areas, I mow with a bagger.

I was just gifted a Ryobi backpack blower that seems to work well for pulling leaves away from the house, trailer, etc.

Not sure there's one best system other than 8gv's writing a check!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chaseisland 11-05-2021 06:19 AM

Snow

Wait awhile, the snow will cover them.

Descant 11-05-2021 11:12 AM

Oaks

Oaks are a nuisance because they drop their leaves late and only a partial drop. In the spring, new growth pushes the remaining leaves off and you have to rake all over again.

LakeTimes 11-05-2021 11:56 AM

I'll say this much - we get a lot of leaves and having to do multiple properties (between family members, inlaws, rentals etc.) this Backpack Blower I just got a few months back is amazing! Had the BR600 previously before it was stolen.
With the 800, I can literally can do several yards in one day easy and will blow logs, sticks, pine needles and any other debris across the yard if needed. Also use it to blow the moss right off the top of the soil in some areas when I focus it a bit more.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/bl...owers/br800ce/

Hard to find these days - but if you are looking for a solid leaf blower, would suggest taking a serious look at Stihl's 800 CE Magnum. Best part is you can stop and start it back up without having to take it off your back. :banana::banana::banana: Most will think I'm crazy. The ones that won't are clearly the ones who use a backpack blower :laugh::laugh::D

Nonetheless - I'm still left with the job of having to remove the leaves. For a few of the properties, I just pay a small and worthwhile fee for our landscaper to bring over his vacuum and suck away the piles while the other properties get 'tarped away' into the woods.

I'm still eyeing and mulling over buying a 'leaf vacuum' (actually called a debris loader - https://www.billygoat.com/na/en_us/p...html):liplick: to put on a dump trailer - just trying to make the financial justification in my head...

SailinAway 11-05-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 363957)

I used to spend hours leaf blowing the entire yard until I got wise to the mowing method.

Me too! I never even finished raking before it snowed. Just skip your last mowing in August, let the grass grow a few inches, and mow it all in October when the leaves have fallen.

pondguy 11-05-2021 04:59 PM

I find if I mow the grass real short the last mowing of the season most of the leaves blow into the neighbors yards. Then I deal with what's left in the spring.:D