Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tree Droppings Attracting Bees (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28152)

thinkxingu 07-24-2022 04:05 PM

Tree Droppings Attracting Bees

I park my golf carts under a couple maples and, this time of the year, they start to drop stuff that attracts bees/bugs.

Anyone have a secret sauce I could treat the cart roofs with to...dissuade the insects from congregating?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Winilyme 07-24-2022 05:00 PM

Not a secret sauce but can you throw a tarp over them?

thinkxingu 07-24-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 373711)
Not a secret sauce but can you throw a tarp over them?

I could—we actually have covers—but it's so much more convenient to leave them ready to hop in General-Lee-Style.

Also, I gotta think the bees would just be attracted to the covers at that point?

Slickcraft 07-24-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 373706)
I park my golf carts under a couple maples and, this time of the year, they start to drop stuff that attracts bees/bugs.

Anyone have a secret sauce I could treat the cart roofs with to...dissuade the insects from congregating?

Well think, I am thinking (:)), that if this is one of your more serous problems, then life must be good.:cool:

thinkxingu 07-24-2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 373714)
Well think, I am thinking (:)), that if this is one of your more serous problems, then life must be good.:cool:

Slick, my wife and I have a ridiculously good life, for sure. I mean, there could always be more moolah, but we've been incredibly lucky to achieve what we have. I mean, I passed a kidney stone today but was still able to take some friends tubing and for a swim—little victories!

That being said, one way to keep my life on this positive trajectory is to not get stung by bees on our golf carts!

John Mercier 07-24-2022 07:18 PM

Bees in the open generally have to be harassed quite a bit before they sting.
Unlike wasps, a bee dies after administering a sting as its stinger is barbed and cause its abdomen to tear away.

SAMIAM 07-25-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 373728)
Bees in the open generally have to be harassed quite a bit before they sting.
Unlike wasps, a bee dies after administering a sting as its stinger is barbed and cause its abdomen to tear away.

Please make sure you don't kill any honey bees....they are not agressive but look very much like yellow jackets

gillygirl 07-25-2022 10:46 AM

Checking on Amazon, I found Fischer’s Bee Quick Bee Repellent which beekeepers apparently use when they need to repel bees from beekeeping equipment. No personal experience, but I thought it would be a good start for the research you love.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 07-25-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 373751)
Checking on Amazon, I found Fischer’s Bee Quick Bee Repellent which beekeepers apparently use when they need to repel bees from beekeeping equipment. No personal experience, but I thought it would be a good start for the research you love.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Thanks for that—it's definitely a good start, and I'll peek at the ingredients.

I was hoping someone here might have a cheap and safe concoction—I'm finding peppermint oil, cinnamon, and a few other things are natural deterrents.

SailinAway 07-25-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 373723)
i passed a kidney stone today

TMI.

Let's see now, applying my considerable brain power to this very complex problem, I come up with . . . sweep the stuff off the carts and rake the area clean.

thinkxingu 07-25-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 373778)
TMI.

Let's see now, applying my considerable brain power to this very complex problem, I come up with . . . sweep the stuff off the carts and rake the area clean.

It's more sap/liquid that's dripping rather than stuff to be swept up.