Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dirt/gravel roads (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7401)

Way Out There 2 03-10-2009 08:11 AM

Dirt/gravel roads

Does anyone have to travel on dirt roads around the lake area? I do and it's pretty bad this year. I have to drive the kids to a paved road, the bus won't come get them due to the mud conditions. Hopefully the town can work them today with a york rake or something. If not, this afternoon will be rough.

VitaBene 03-10-2009 04:27 PM

Mud season

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Out There 2 (Post 90285)
Does anyone have to travel on dirt roads around the lake area? I do and it's pretty bad this year. I have to drive the kids to a paved road, the bus won't come get them due to the mud conditions. Hopefully the town can work them today with a york rake or something. If not, this afternoon will be rough.

Got to love mud season......ugghhhhhhhhh. We have a short straightish 200 yard shot to the asphalt and it is terrible, I can only imagine how bad some have it.

RLW 03-10-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Out There 2 (Post 90285)

Just think what it must have been like in the horse and wagon days with no springs in most wagons. You may have a little spring in a buggy, but not in wagons.
The mud and pot holes in the dirt roads is just one of the ole days remembrances which I happen to like.:)

Lakesrider 03-17-2009 07:12 PM

Then you must just love RT109. :rolleye2:

dayvsea 10-12-2011 06:45 PM

Back in the day, they used to oil the road!.. Made the dirt like new pavement.. Not sure if it was bad for the environment or not, but made for good traveling..:D

RLW 10-12-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvsea (Post 170361)
Back in the day, they used to oil the road!.. Made the dirt like new pavement.. Not sure if it was bad for the environment or not, but made for good traveling..:D

You sure are right about keeping dust down and makes the roadway kinda hard, but my parents (mother) yelled at us if we walked into the house with our oily shoes on as it sure made a mess inside the house after walking on the oiled roads.:look: who me???

BroadHopper 10-12-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvsea (Post 170361)

Yeap. I rmember it well. Then EPA stepped in and no more used crankcase oil on the road. The road got dusty and in the spring time there was concerned about emergency vehicles getting stuck. The town paved the road shortly after.

dayvsea 10-12-2011 07:40 PM

Course you old timers know that once you pave your road, you just upped your traffic by many times.. I don't drive up here to bring Hartford with me.....:eek: