Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many islands in Paugus Bay? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24062)

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 03:09 PM

How many islands in Paugus Bay?

Okay let’s see who can guess the total number of islands from the Weirs bridge to the Lakeport dam? I predict it is more than you think. Let’s see who comes closest. Show your work. haha

I’m pretty sure I know the answer but I’m open to input.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 12-21-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305542)
Okay let’s see who can guess the total number of islands from the Weirs bridge to the Lakeport dam? I predict it is more than you think. Let’s see who comes closest. Show your work. haha

I’m pretty sure I know the answer but I’m open to input.

3-Big, Little, Christmas

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 03:46 PM

>3 going by Bizers definition ...

brk-lnt 12-21-2018 03:55 PM

Plummer. Big. Little.

Can't think of any others or anything that would qualify as an "island" in PB.

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 03:59 PM

Pixie is another one....there are more.

TiltonBB 12-21-2018 04:35 PM

Well, there is also the "island" at Channel Cottages, and the 3 islands at Thurston's Marina.

Any points for that?

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 05:23 PM

Yes several points! Although there are four Thurston Islands. Don’t forget the one right at the bridge over which the gas dock is built. So we are up to nine. I count one more. Where is it?

TiltonBB 12-21-2018 05:34 PM

At the bridge end of Thurstons gas dock I believe it is attached to the bridge.

fatlazyless 12-21-2018 05:51 PM

Plummer Island, aka Christmas Island, used to be an island when it was Plummer Island, but now as Christmas Island it is no longer an island.

Not only does it have a bridge to the main land, it has water, sewer, electricity, telephone, cable-tv and high speed internet utilities, and the area at the bridge has been all filled in with boulders, rocks, gravel, soil, and trees and shrubs which makes it more like a peninsular, than an island. Plus Christmas is totally, wall to wall, covered entirely with town house condos.

It is totally attached to the main land there so how can it be considered to be an island?

Christmas Island is an island in name only. When it was Plummer Island, it was a real island.

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 05:52 PM

Hmmm possibly it abuts the bridge but not attached to the mainland? I’ll have to check that out.

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 06:09 PM

All true but then by that definition Loon Island at Sandy Point in Alton wouldn’t be an Island either because there is now a causeway. Still it’s referred to as an island under the conventional wisdom. Similar situation with Steamboat if you look closely there is a man made connection between it and the small island between it and Birch. Technically there are three Islands there but we all say these are two.

TiltonBB 12-21-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 305552)

It is totally attached to the main land there so how can it be considered to be an island?

Christmas Island is an island in name only. When it was Plummer Island, it was a real island.

By your definition, it is not an island because it is attached by a bridge, then I guess that you would not consider Black Cat, Governors, and Long Island as islands either.

Hmmm.............Interesting!

fatlazyless 12-21-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless
.... and the area at the bridge has been all filled in with boulders, rocks, gravel, soil, and trees and shrubs which makes it more like a peninsular, than an island.

The space under the bridge has been filled with boulders, rocks, gravel, soil, and trees and shrubs which makes it more like a peninsular, than an island.

...... get what I said?

Is possible this was done so water and sewer pipes could be run underground there?

Apparently, what was once a bridge over the water, is now a bridge over filled in land that joins the main land to the former island with a "land bridge" so the main land and former island are attached by solid fill, above the water level, with an old bridge on top of the solid fill. The space under the bridge was filled in with solid fill, maybe for installing the utility pipes.

LoveLakeLife 12-21-2018 08:10 PM

So where’s the tenth island?!

AC2717 12-21-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305549)
Yes several points! Although there are four Thurston Islands. Don’t forget the one right at the bridge over which the gas dock is built. So we are up to nine. I count one more. Where is it?

technically a peninsula now, its filled in from the bridge to the gas dock:D

skprbob 12-22-2018 11:31 AM

one more

Don't forget Worcester Island!

LoveLakeLife 12-22-2018 11:41 AM

The tenth island is in Pickerel Cove. For those who can’t fit through the tube it can be seen from the train. [emoji3]

Top-Water 12-22-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305579)
Pickerel Cove.

A little hard to get in there but sometimes worth it for the fishing opportunities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmkZhgOe3Y4

A little weird when in the tunnel and the train goes over head.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lmkZhgOe3Y4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Descant 12-22-2018 03:04 PM

Pickeral vs Paugus

One might suggest that if it is in Pickerel Cove, it is not in Paugus Bay.

Seaplane Pilot 12-22-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skprbob (Post 305578)
Don't forget Worcester Island!

Also Oak Island in Meredith.

LoveLakeLife 12-22-2018 06:09 PM

True, one might suggest that. By that analysis though one might also suggest that Langley Cove is likewise not part of Paugus Bay. The distinction would be the width of the entrance. That’s why I described the scope of the question as running from the Weirs bridge to the Lakeport dam presuming that Pickerel Cove would be subsumed.

Descant 12-23-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305592)
True, one might suggest that. By that analysis though one might also suggest that Langley Cove is likewise not part of Paugus Bay. The distinction would be the width of the entrance. That’s why I described the scope of the question as running from the Weirs bridge to the Lakeport dam presuming that Pickerel Cove would be subsumed.
[/url]

Of course, it's your thread, so it is your definition. As a comparison, I would not consider Smith Cove part of Glendale Bay, nor would I consider Back Bay part of Wolfeboro Bay. There being no restricted access, I guess Langley Cove is part of Paugus, as common use is that a cove is smaller than a bay. As currently configured, I would say that Christmas Island is not an island. It's like baseball statistics. You make up the list and put an asterisk next to some records as "short season" and "expanded season".

LoveLakeLife 12-23-2018 02:47 PM

I’m in favor of the asterisk. It would apply to Pickerel Cove and Perch Cove and Back Bay and Parker Marine and The Basin but not Langley Cove or Smalle Cove or Minge Cove or Salmon Meadow Cove. I’m using a tunnel or bridge as the predicate for restricted access. Given that, I think Smith Cove would be non-asterisked. I’m just glad that the thread got everyone thinking about island trivia in the middle of winter. haha. Thanks for everyone’s participation. Now it’s someone else’s turn to post a lake- or island-related trivia question!

upthesaukee 12-23-2018 03:52 PM

Not Parker Marine

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305597)
I’m in favor of the asterisk. It would apply to Pickerel Cove and Perch Cove and Back Bay and Parker Marine and The Basin but not Langley Cove or Smalle Cove or Minge Cove or Salmon Meadow Cove. I’m using a tunnel or bridge as the predicate for restricted access. Given that, I think Smith Cove would be non-asterisked. I’m just glad that the thread got everyone thinking about island trivia in the middle of winter. haha. Thanks for everyone’s participation. Now it’s someone else’s turn to post a lake- or island-related trivia question!

Parker Marine is on the Merrymeeting River at its confluence with the Lake. The river flows into the lake under the route 11 bridge.

Dave

LoveLakeLife 12-23-2018 05:25 PM

I stand enlightened! I was thinking about the little nearby cove just up from the Mt. Washington pier accessed by the tunnel under the street and got confused. I don’t know the name of the cove. Anyone?

Descant 12-23-2018 05:48 PM

"Final answer?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305597)
Now it’s someone else’s turn to post a lake- or island-related trivia question! [/url]

This was a fun discussion, and it's nice to have a thread that seems to be ending without being hijacked. Well done.
However, I think it s incumbent on you as he initiator to be the ender and publish the final list.
Merry Christmas.

LoveLakeLife 12-23-2018 06:27 PM

Good idea

1. Big Island (f/k/a Two Mike Island and Goat Island)

2. Little Island f/k/a Sheep Island and Paradise Island)

3. Christmas Island f/k/a Plummer’s Island

4. Pixie Island

5. Thurston’s Island No. 1

6. Thurston’s Island No. 2

7. Thurston’s Island No. 3

8. Thurston’s Island No. 4* (to be confirmed)

9. Channel Island ((my proposed name) where the fire pit and bar are))

10. Island in Pickerel Cove*

Okay who’s next? (I still need to know the name of that restricted access cove in Alton Bay!)

Top-Water 12-23-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305601)
Good idea

1. Big Island (f/k/a Two Mike Island and Goat Island)

First Thank you for the list

But just asking is number one correct with regard to "Two Mike Island" is that a typo ,,,,, again just asking. :):)

LoveLakeLife 12-23-2018 08:40 PM

Yes that’s a typo. Sorry. Two Mile Island. Here’s another bit of trivium: Hull Island f/k/a Three and a Half Mile Island.

upthesaukee 12-23-2018 09:16 PM

Heard two names

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 305599)
I stand enlightened! I was thinking about the little nearby cove just up from the Mt. Washington pier accessed by the tunnel under the street and got confused. I don’t know the name of the cove. Anyone?

I've heard it called two different names.

1. Just like Wolfeboro, called "Back Bay", and
2. Called Rand Cove

So I've been told, the hill just behind the bay and campground is Rand Hill. The road that goes from JP China and the Bay PO up to Alton Mt Rd and on to rte 11 near 11D is Rand Hill rd. Seems to make a good case for the cove to be called Rand Cove.

Dave

LoveLakeLife 12-23-2018 09:39 PM

You’re right Dave. I just found it on the 1911 map labeled as Rand’s Cove.

Mike