Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   celeb visits to Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22534)

billwriter 08-26-2017 09:23 PM

celeb visits to Winnipesaukee

I am a journalist writing about Lake Winnipesaukee...and I'm hoping to find out about the visits of certain famous people--namely Sophia Loren, Bob Dole, Prince Albert, Grace Kelly, and Drew Barrymore. Does anyone know when these individuals visited Winnipesaukee and what they did there? And do you know where I might find photos or news writeups?

Thanks!

Bill

Barney Bear 08-27-2017 06:04 AM

Bill Dole's Visit

Shook hands with Bob Dole at the craft show in Meredith in late August of 1996 during his presidential run.

TiltonBB 08-27-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 284707)
Shook hands with Bill Dole at the craft show in Meredith in late August of 1996 during his presidential run.

Any relation to Bob Dole?

TiltonBB 08-27-2017 06:17 AM

Trump

2 Attachment(s)
Donald Trump spoke at the Weirs Community Center! Big crowd! Hot night!

billwriter 08-27-2017 06:25 AM

Many thanks for the replies! But does anyone know when Sophia Loren came to Winnipesaukee....and what she did there?

joey2665 08-27-2017 06:29 AM

Jimmy Fallon visits Wolfboro several times a year, the wrestler HHH has a place on Meredith Bay and Mitt Romney has a place in Wolfboro

Doobs41378 08-27-2017 06:53 AM

Adam Sandler was here a few weeks ago. I don't know who Sophia Loren is. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

8gv 08-27-2017 07:12 AM

Well, I live here full time so there's that.

Rattlesnake Gal 08-27-2017 07:53 AM

Famous Visitors

I recall seeing snippets that include Lloyd Bridges, Count Basie, President Theodore Roosevelt, Henry Fonda and I believe Katharine Hepburn, since part of On Golden Pind was filmed here. Mitt Romney, Fritz Weatherbee, Brad Garret, and Jerry Remy to name a few.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que (Post 69577)
This list includes sightings, frequent visitors and those that live here. It's from the forum archives (2003).
Click HERE to see the post

Re: Celebrities at the Lake?

Posted By: Janey
Date: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 1:47 p.m.

In Response To: Celebrities at the Lake? (Jan)

Got this from a Google search:

1. Paul Newman
2. Marlee Matlin
3. Tim Daly
4. Jeffrey Jones
5. Kirsty Alley
6. Debra Paget
7. Prince Albert
8. Don Amendiola
9. Lorne Greene
10. Farah Fawcett
11. Dustin Hoffman
12. Walter Brennan
13. Estelle Parsons
14. Barry Goldwater
15. Elizabeth Dole
16. Bob Dole
17. Joan Collins
18. Grace Kelly 19. Jack Lemmon
20. Sophia Loren
21. John Lithgow
22. Jane Fonda
23. Dudley Moore
24. Stephen Segal
25. Richard Dreyfuss
26. Holly Hunter
27. Danny Aiello
28. Tom Selleck
29. Michelle Pfeiffer
30. Henry Fonda
31. Parker Stevenson
32. Susan Ishee
33. Drew Barrymore
34. George Bush
35. Ronald Reagan
36. Kirk Douglas

Also, a Google Search uncovered some Drew Barrymore Wolfeboro vacation pictures:

http://aux.isifa.com/preview/splash_...wBarrymore.htm (end of original post) Note: Barrymore link no longer works

You can read the whole thread from the forum archive HERE

a pleasant respite from another forum topic. :argue:

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 230397)

neckdweller 08-27-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billwriter (Post 284700)
I am a journalist writing about Lake Winnipesaukee...and I'm hoping to find out about the visits of certain famous people--namely Sophia Loren, Bob Dole, Prince Albert, Grace Kelly, and Drew Barrymore. Does anyone know when these individuals visited Winnipesaukee and what they did there? And do you know where I might find photos or news writeups?

Thanks!

Bill

Prince Albert II was a camp attendee and the counsellor at Camp Tecumseh in Moultonborough. That would have been when he was somewhere in the child to teen years.

BroadHopper 08-27-2017 08:16 AM

Lakes Region Playhouse

hosted a number of celebrities when they were located where Fireside Motel is in Gilford. I believe there is a write up located in the Gilford History book located in the Gilford library. Many famous actors actually perform on stage!

Barney Bear 08-27-2017 08:30 AM

Class Act

Van Johnson performed at the Lakes Region Playhouse in the late sixties. Performers would often stay on Steamboat Island.

Bizer 08-27-2017 09:37 AM

Nicolas Sarkozy, the president of France, spent three weeks in Wolfeboro, in 2007.

LoveLakeLife 08-27-2017 09:47 AM

I read that Sophia Loren had gone to the restaurant on Cow Island.

WJT2 08-27-2017 10:12 AM

Famous People

Seth and Eloise Armen were owners of Steamboat Island for many years and they also owned The Lakes Region Playhouse. On more than one occasion they would be host to actors coming to the playhouse for summer theater. Many famous people visited and had residences in Wolfeboro. Madame Chiang Kai-shek had a residence people referred to as "The Chinese Embassy". The boat she owned Alalou II is now "Miss Meredith" . Check with Wolfeboro Historical Society and I am sure you will find more info. Good luck.

billwriter 08-27-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

I read that Sophia Loren had gone to the restaurant on Cow Island.
Intriguing! Do you know when that was...and where you read about it?

LoveLakeLife 08-27-2017 10:34 AM

I don't know when it was but I think I read it in Ron Guilmette's Islands of Winnipesaukee book.

skprbob 08-27-2017 11:54 AM

interesting tow

Way back when I was a counsellor at Camp Idlewild, a friend and I had a small outboard skiff and we spent a day off putting around the lake. We forgot only one thing - refilling the fuel tank! We ran out of gas next to Nipple Rock. After about a half hour trying to flag down some help, we finally got some from a very nice, old woody with around 8 folks on board. They towed us into Silver Sands. Upon thanking them, we finally got a good look at who was aboard - the cast at the Playhouse including Myrna Loi. We were so surprised that we didn't even think of getting autographs. We got gas and continued our explorings.

Mr. V 08-27-2017 01:03 PM

OP:

I googled "Sophia Loren Winnipesaukee" and got a couple hits which both referred to her being in / visiting Wolfeboro.

tis 08-27-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 284737)
Seth and Eloise Armen were owners of Steamboat Island for many years and they also owned The Lakes Region Playhouse. On more than one occasion they would be host to actors coming to the playhouse for summer theater. Many famous people visited and had residences in Wolfeboro. Madame Chiang Kai-shek had a residence people referred to as "The Chinese Embassy". The boat she owned Alalou II is now "Miss Meredith" . Check with Wolfeboro Historical Society and I am sure you will find more info. Good luck.

Deborah Pagent used to visit Chian Kai-shek every year. I remember when we were high school kids, I worked in the Dime Store and she came in wearing slacks and heels. That just wasn't done, we were amazed!!

Mr. V 08-27-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 284760)
Deborah Pagent used to visit Chian Kai-shek every year. I remember when we were high school kids, I worked in the Dime Store and she came in wearing slacks and heels. That just wasn't done, we were amazed!!

To clarify: do you mean Debra Paget, the '50's actress?

Senter Cove Guy 08-27-2017 08:45 PM

Babe Ruth

He played golf at Bald Peak Country Club years ago.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bos...?pid=123843160

icg56 08-27-2017 09:23 PM

Grace Kelly and kids were at Hanzel and Gretel shop in the 1960's

LoveLakeLife 08-28-2017 02:10 AM

Sophia Loren visited Cow Island in the 80s.

winnipiseogee 08-28-2017 04:55 AM

You are right that Sophia Loren visited Lucy's on Cow Island. I believe she has done it several times. I think they even have pics up in the house. You need to see if you contact the family that runs Lucy's/ . They are local to the area.

dpg 08-28-2017 05:54 AM

Shhh Sophia used to sneak up and visit with me...The wife doesn't know...:eek:

Merrymeeting 08-28-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icg56 (Post 284772)
Grace Kelly and kids were at Hanzel and Gretel shop in the 1960's

I caddied for her and the prince at Bald Peak. It would have been either 1970 or 71. I think 1971

You may want to check these threads too,

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...lebrities+lake

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5971

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=64514

BrownstoneNorth 08-28-2017 06:24 PM

The Babe

1 Attachment(s)
http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/201...th-first-wife/

djwoodward 08-28-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 284765)

Debra was married to Madame Chiang Kai-Shek's nephew, Ling C. Kung. The home was known as Spruce Acres in Wolfeboro. My Grandparents were the caretakers at Spruce Acres in the 60's. I remember visiting the house many times as a kid. Unfortunately it no longer stands today.

tis 08-29-2017 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 284765)

Yes, sorry. TO be honest I had never heard of her until everybody made such a big deal about her.

BobbyA 08-29-2017 12:14 PM

Celeb visits to Winnipesaukee

I think Charles Bronson once had a place on the lake many years ago...

surfnsnow 08-29-2017 04:39 PM

claude raines lived in sandwich for many years and is buried in the cemetery on bean rd in moultonboro. grace kellys parents had a house in ball peak and the whole royal family from Monaco spent several summers there.

tis 08-29-2017 05:09 PM

A lot of the Red Sox stayed on Sewall Road in Wolfeboro. I don't know if Babe stayed there.

I just remembered Sammy White the Red Sox catcher stayed in Winter Harbor.

joey2665 08-29-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfnsnow (Post 284890)
claude raines lived in sandwich for many years and is buried in the cemetery on bean rd in moultonboro. grace kellys parents had a house in ball peak and the whole royal family from Monaco spent several summers there.

Yes but Claude Raines tombstone is invisible :emb:

bobkatfly 08-29-2017 07:48 PM

Back in the sixties my family vacationed at the Holiday bay cottages (or whatever they were called back then) on Paugus bay. At the resort next to us (Christmas island?), Jayne Mansfield was staying with her husband and crew including body guards. I think she was performing at the playhouse. I remember her and her husband with guards all piling into row boats in their Sunday best with her little dog for a trip on the bay. The whole event was hilarious as they tried to stay dry and manage the dog. My sister and I laughed ourselves to sleep that night.

Dickie B from HB 08-29-2017 11:53 PM

Saw Groucho Marx at Sawyers Dairy Bar on night back about 1958. He was performing across the street at the Lakes Region Playhouse.

BroadHopper 08-30-2017 03:04 AM

Eddie Westfall

Of the Boston Bruins in the early 70's rented the cottage next to us on the Walmart side of the lake. He would have multiple beer parties with fellow team mates. I remember the beautiful women, the beer flowing and the skinny dipping in the lake! Those were the days!

Major 08-30-2017 07:08 AM

Jayne Mansfield

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 284910)
Back in the sixties my family vacationed at the Holiday bay cottages (or whatever they were called back then) on Paugus bay. At the resort next to us (Christmas island?), Jayne Mansfield was staying with her husband and crew including body guards. I think she was performing at the playhouse. I remember her and her husband with guards all piling into row boats in their Sunday best with her little dog for a trip on the bay. The whole event was hilarious as they tried to stay dry and manage the dog. My sister and I laughed ourselves to sleep that night.

Jayne Mansfield stayed at the former Sweetwood Cottages, which was between Christmas Island Resort and Holiday Bay.

Lake Breeze 08-30-2017 07:19 AM

Princess Grace

Worked at the Melvin Village General Store (Geeze Louise now) in early 1970's and while visiting Bald Peak, Princess Grace would do some grocery shopping there. She was treated as "regular folk" and would leave with one or two bags. I would cheerfully carry them to her car as I was swooning over her beauty.

mcdude 08-30-2017 07:33 AM

Ike Visits Laconia

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop.../20scanike.jpg

jbolty 08-30-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 284896)
Yes but Claude Raines tombstone is invisible :emb:

I see what you did there

dpg 08-30-2017 10:54 AM

Bob F

Merrimack till the big 66 comes
Mirror Lake till the big guy comes

hahaha I like that signature!

coltgov101 08-30-2017 11:13 AM

Lloyd Bridges

Lloyd Bridges came to the lake back in the mid 60's. He visited Lakes Region Divers supply owned by Thomas Keene. Went scuba diving with the local dive club. i remember very well because I had just become certified and was my first time out with the club. Keene's shop was on Paugus bay. Don't know where he stayed.

webmaster 08-30-2017 02:15 PM

Don't forget Sarah back in 2008...

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...ium/Sara_P.jpg

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop..._jeb_signs.jpg

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...m/Sara_jeb.jpg

LakeTimes 08-30-2017 05:40 PM

Not sure if it's true or not (First I had heard of it), but was talking to a guy this Monday who said that John Cena had built a multi million-dollar home up in Meredith on the water. Anyone else know or have heard that? Maybe Triple H has been influencing him :laugh:

BobbyA 08-30-2017 06:31 PM

Celebs owned places on Winnipesaukee

Best way to research it is to go to www.nhdeeds.com. You need to down load..JAVA.....then you can look anybody by name and year in any county,,,,,anywhere in NH.

bobkatfly 08-30-2017 08:55 PM

Signature

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 284937)
Bob F

Merrimack till the big 66 comes
Mirror Lake till the big guy comes

hahaha I like that signature!

From the heart dpg!

bobkatfly 08-30-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 284921)
Jayne Mansfield stayed at the former Sweetwood Cottages, which was between Christmas Island Resort and Holiday Bay.

Thanks for that clarification Major. My memories are a bit hazy from that time (it was the sixties you know). Sounds right as Christmas Island is not adjacent to Holiday Bay. What's in the place of Sweetwoods now?

Major 08-31-2017 06:48 AM

Sweetwood Cottages

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 284980)
Thanks for that clarification Major. My memories are a bit hazy from that time (it was the sixties you know). Sounds right as Christmas Island is not adjacent to Holiday Bay. What's in the place of Sweetwoods now?

Sweetwood Cottages were condominiumized (is that a word?) in the late '80s/early 90s.

Islandgirl 09-02-2017 12:39 PM

Princess Grace at the lake

Hi, I worked at Bald Peak Colony Club(in Melvin Village) for several years in the mid 70's, and Princess Grace had dinner at the restaurant there. She had friends who had a home at Bald Peak and was staying with them.

bobkatfly 09-05-2017 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandgirl (Post 285092)
Hi, I worked at Bald Peak Colony Club(in Melvin Village) for several years in the mid 70's, and Princess Grace had dinner at the restaurant there. She had friends who had a home at Bald Peak and was staying with them.

Not sure how true this is, but my father-in-law used to tell me that Sinatra had visited and played golf at Bald Peak.

Alton Bay 07-17-2018 09:05 PM

Jack Lemmon used to spend time in Jockey Cove in Wolfeboro as a young man, I’ve been told.

Alton Bay 07-17-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandgirl (Post 285092)

A friend of mine delivered some tourism information to Princess Grace and Prince Rainer while they were at Bald Peak. Imagine her surprise to find Ingrid Bergman visiting as well.

ChasesIslandOkie 07-17-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alton Bay (Post 298116)
Jack Lemmon used to spend time in Jockey Cove in Wolfeboro as a young man, I’ve been told.

Can confirm this, as my family lived next door!

gravy boat 07-18-2018 06:21 AM

Celebs at lake

Heard Patrick Chung of Pats has a place on Meredith Bay...
Steve Leach, former Bruin, had place on Rattlesnake. Not sure if still does.

tis 07-18-2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 298137)

Steve Leach bought a house on mainland and now has gone back to an island but not Rattlesnake.

joey2665 07-18-2018 06:35 AM

Adam Sandler was in Meredith during week of 4th of July.

thinkxingu 07-18-2018 06:50 AM

At the risk of being "that guy," who cares? I'll never understand why people go gaga over celebrities and even less understand why they'd blow their cover through Facebook and forum selfies. Just leave Brittney alone!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

joey2665 07-18-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 298142)
At the risk of being "that guy," who cares? I'll never understand why people go gaga over celebrities and even less understand why they'd blow their cover through Facebook and forum selfies. Just leave Brittney alone!!!

I’m with you. Just happened to see he helped a person in a wheelchair

RUGMAN 07-18-2018 07:30 AM

I heard Gronk and his brother bought a place on Governor's island.

jbolty 07-18-2018 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously the biggest thing to ever happen was filming On Golden Pond back in about 1980. Set on Squam but the actors were seen all over Center Harbor since they were staying at the Mead Farm on Center Harbor Neck

My parents both worked at Mead Farm part time and struck up a friendship with a number of the cast and crew.

The opening sequence for the TV show Newart shows a car driving in the area and from what I remember this scene was some B roll for Golden Pond that was never used in the movie. Henry Fonda is in the car seen here making the turn in Center Sandwich

moose tracks 07-18-2018 10:18 AM

Le Tigre

Georges Benjamin Clemenceau, nick- named "Le Tigre" (The Tiger) (1841 –1929), was said to have visited the lake region in June of 1869. Clemenceau served as the Prime Minister of France from 1906 to 1909, and again from 1917 to 1920. Leading France for most of the final years of World War I, he was one of the principal architects of the Treaty of Versailles.

Donzi Minx 07-18-2018 03:31 PM

celeb visit to Winnipesaukee

It was a night we all looked forward to before going back home to Bahstun for September. The Parents took us out to the Arlberg for dinner. Must have been 15 or 16 years old, suddenly the dining area got real quiet, and then in prances in good ole Captain Kirk.
William Shatner was seated at a table with an absolute knockout woman. Hard to continue with dinner, but we all got the look to behave and respect peoples privacy. Maybe they were picking blueberries on Belknap! Camping??? Smug!

Outdoorsman 07-18-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 298142)

The fact that you know who Brittney is says alot :laugh:

chasedawg 07-18-2018 05:03 PM

celeb visit Winni

Madame Chiang Kai-Shek the wife of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek lived many summers at her home in Tipps Cove. Just beyond Jockey Cove heading west. She was 106 when she past in 2003. She was the only women at the time to speak before the US Senate in 1943 requesting support for her husbands military battle fighting the China Communist. She would be seen in Wolfeboro every summer with her body guards.

tis 07-18-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 298207)
Madame Chiang Kai-Shek the wife of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek lived many summers at her home in Tipps Cove. Just beyond Jockey Cove heading west. She was 106 when she past in 2003. She was the only women at the time to speak before the US Senate in 1943 requesting support for her husbands military battle fighting the China Communist. She would be seen in Wolfeboro every summer with her body guards.

That reminds me of when we were kids and worked in the Dime Store and Debra Paget always came to visit the Chiang Kai Sheks. She wore pants with high heels at the times which was something nobody around here did! After all these years I still remember that. :laugh: When they were in residence there were armed guards standing along the shoreline.

Ms Molly McKever 07-18-2018 06:15 PM

Visits

Darryl Hall has a boat at Mt View yacht club, I see him and his wife Erin all the time.

chasedawg 07-18-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 298137)

I was at Steve's summer home last weekend. It is not on Rattlesnake.

winniplayhouse 07-19-2018 08:33 AM

Don't be surprised if you spot Ed Asner around Meredith this October. He's performing at the Winnipesaukee Playhouse!

Tickets are going quickly so if you want to catch this sitcom icon better book ahead: http://www.winnipesaukeeplayhouse.or...-prostate.html

Thanks for the perfect segue into a shameless plug!

Mr. V 07-19-2018 09:47 AM

I assume that Mitt Romney is the resident with the most "star power" today, assuming he still spends time at his Wolfeboro residence.

jbolty 07-19-2018 09:49 AM

My mom just reminded me of a time when we were at the old Paugus Diner and Vincent Price and Claude Raines were in the next booth. I don't remember because I was probably about 10 at the time.

I bet that was common since the playhouse is right up the street.

KarmaGirl 07-20-2018 07:49 AM

Grace Kelly had lunch at my parent’s house on Meredith Neck. I have a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

JEEPONLY 07-21-2018 07:57 AM

Jockey Cove

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 298207)

This compound was bought and razed by the CEO of Stanley Tools in the mid to late 90s. He built a beautiful home/compound of his own. This guy had so much influence, he made the pwc company of his choice offer their product at Goodhue & Hawkins Boatyard (Wolfeboro) even though the territory of the product was geographically protected (dealers not too close to one another).

kawishiwi 07-21-2018 01:07 PM

New job

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 298244)
I assume that Mitt Romney is the resident with the most "star power" today, assuming he still spends time at his Wolfeboro residence.

Mittens is soon to be ordained as the new Senator from Utah. Probably bad form for him to spend much time in N.H. while representing Utah.

Life is Wild 07-26-2018 10:13 AM

Who cares?

Doobs41378 07-26-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Life is Wild (Post 298763)
Who cares?

Not you apparently. Thanks for adding nothing with your post.

tis 07-26-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 298382)
This compound was bought and razed by the CEO of Stanley Tools in the mid to late 90s. He built a beautiful home/compound of his own. This guy had so much influence, he made the pwc company of his choice offer their product at Goodhue & Hawkins Boatyard (Wolfeboro) even though the territory of the product was geographically protected (dealers not too close to one another).

I do believe he was the CEO of Black and Decker. However, the CEO of Stanley built a house on Sewall Road about the same time frame.

JTA 07-26-2018 03:42 PM

The president of France (Sarkovsky at the time?) rented a place on the lake. He had a huge amount of security as I recall. I think there were a few interesting stories at that time.

AmantiDelLago 07-26-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTA (Post 298800)
The president of France (Sarkovsky at the time?) rented a place on the lake. He had a huge amount of security as I recall. I think there were a few interesting stories at that time.

There sure were some interesting stories. I believe the house he rented was in behind the Varney Island in a cove by Worcester Island.

chasedawg 07-26-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 298794)
I do believe he was the CEO of Black and Decker. However, the CEO of Stanley built a house on Sewall Road about the same time frame.

From the information that has been gathered for me it was the CEO of Black and Decker. The confusion may lie in that Stanley tools bought B&D. And the CEO of Stanley tools then purchased the property.

chasedawg 07-26-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Yes there were and many pictures at the time. I have shared many stories about the President of France Sarkovsky while vacationing here in Wolfeboro.

DRH 07-27-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

I believe you're referring to Nicolas Sarkozy. I remember photos taken of him shaking his fist at news photographers who (in his opinion) got too close to his boat!

JEEPONLY 07-27-2018 09:03 AM

RE: Jockey Cove- 1990s

It was Nolan D. Archibald- Chairman of the Board, CEO and president of Black & Decker. My research shows that Stanley and B&D didn't merge until 2010. his pwc of choice- Yamaha!

jbolty 07-27-2018 10:57 AM

I wonder if the OP ever wrote his article? It's almost the one year anniversary of this thread.

Pricestavern 07-27-2018 12:10 PM

Bob Montana (Archie Comics)

Bob Montana, the man who created Archie and the gang owned the house on Windswept Island just off Cow. After his untimely death from a heart attack, the house went for sale in 2016.
(https://www.curbed.com/2016/5/27/117...hampshire-lake)

We used to go to Harilsa's when we were kids and buy the comics each week and read them over and over and over again during rainy days on Cow Island. Some of my best memories.

Music Man 07-28-2018 03:54 PM

Would Benning Wentworth count? The Harvard grad was the New Hampshire governor back in '41. 1741, that is...

ghfromaltonbay 08-03-2018 03:56 PM

Claude Raines

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 298246)
My mom just reminded me of a time when we were at the old Paugus Diner and Vincent Price and Claude Raines were in the next booth. I don't remember because I was probably about 10 at the time.

I bet that was common since the playhouse is right up the street.

Claude Raines owned a home in Sandwich & is buried in a nearby cemetery. His home was across from the old post office.

ghfromaltonbay 08-03-2018 04:04 PM

Franchot Tone

I maybe dating myself, but a friend stayed at Ames Farm years ago, and Franchot Tone was the name before his in the register. All the chambermaids were swooning.

JEEPONLY 08-04-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 299372)
Claude Raines owned a home in Sandwich & is buried in a nearby cemetery. His home was across from the old post office.

Didn't someone already mention this, but that you can't see it! :laugh: