Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Another one bites the dust-SAD!!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5904)

Old Hubbard Rd 04-19-2008 06:42 AM

Another one bites the dust-SAD!!!

Burger King to close Sunday

hazelnut 04-19-2008 08:59 AM

Big time bummer. I have so many memories of that place. I even went there by boat the day after my Senior Prom with a whole bunch of my friends. They were all blown away that we could hit up BK by boat.

jrc 04-19-2008 09:46 AM

I learned to dock on those docks. For a long time BK by boat was a great novelty to friends that visited. Lately I've been avoiding it because the docks are getting tired.

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens to the property. It would be neat if the local business bought or leased the dock rights to allow access. Maybe McD's, Friendly' and Catus Jack could get together.

The land owner may like this idea as well. I wonder if he doesn't install those docks for a few years, will he be able to reinstall them later. That many docks for that much shoreline is probably grandfathered in. He may not be able to get fresh permits. I don't know, just rambling...

I'd like to see a nice family owned restuarant lease the space. But given the rent that place will command and the capital improvements needed, and the seasonal nature of the business, I doubt it would work.

sa meredith 04-19-2008 10:13 AM

rough times

I don't think we'll be seeing any new "nice family owned resturants" at the lake for a while. Seems like palces are closing or listed "for sale" at a scary pace. Right in that area, TBones/Cactus Jacks, which spared no expense in renovating the building, and has fantasic food/service, and is very "family friendly", is doing "iffy" at best. Suffered thru a slow winter, and in this economy, who knows what this summer will bring.
Tough times ahead....

Orion 04-19-2008 01:31 PM

Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 68053)
It's going to be interesting to watch what happens to the property. It would be neat if the local business bought or leased the dock rights to allow access. Maybe McD's, Friendly' and Catus Jack could get together.

That would be a terrific idea! I know I would use those docks to visit other establishments in that area.

jrc 04-19-2008 03:27 PM

Yes is a nice family owned restaurant would be a real long shot. At least there will be one moving to Gilford.

Just wishful thinking for one at BK. Probably go to a chain or a drugstore. But it is a awkward piece of property.

I grew up in the small restuarant business, my Dad owned or ran several during my youth. It's real hard work and I respect anyone who can do it successfully. It was too hard work for me.

PennyPenny 04-19-2008 07:53 PM

Just thinking what would fit in that spot...

Probably a perfect location for another marina. Building and docks and parking lot are already there. Just need some gas pumps and they would be almost good to go. Another restaurant?? Maybe Waldo should have waited if he had known. I am guessing that the corp that owns it now can wait for the right price. I remember when KFC used to be where Oriental Gardens is years ago. They finally bought back into the strip. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

Old Hubbard Rd 04-20-2008 06:51 AM

Other Uses

I like the shared dock idea previously mentioned to area businesses. That would be unbelievable!!

What other uses?? A Marina? NASWA II or another beach bar? What do you think??

SIKSUKR 04-21-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd (Post 68078)
What other uses?? A Marina? NASWA II or another beach bar? What do you think??

I would say probably more likely residential.But what about the zoning?

AC2717 04-21-2008 09:31 AM

Well

Me thinks Waldo Peppers Should pull out of their deal in Gilford and Take that location so we can all get Lobster Rolls by boat and eat them right there on the docks!

Chickie 04-23-2008 01:08 PM

The demise of BK

Bring back the old Shore Diner, with clam plates heaped to the sky and home-baked pies and dinner rolls that would melt in your mouth. For those too young to remember, the Shore Diner stood at that location from around 1938 to 1973, when it was torn down to make way for BK. Such a sad day. To everything there is a season....turn, turn, turn, turn.

Steveo 04-23-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickie (Post 68380)
Bring back the old Shore Diner, with clam plates heaped to the sky and home-baked pies and dinner rolls that would melt in your mouth. For those too young to remember, the Shore Diner stood at that location from around 1938 to 1973, when it was torn down to make way for BK. Such a sad day. To everything there is a season....turn, turn, turn, turn.

It was also the place to get blocks of ice (can't remember name - Laconia Ice maybe). I'm dating myself but when I was a boy I remember my grandfather pulling up to get a large block of ice that came down the long shut from the 2nd story of a large building. There was a women (big women)who grabbed it with ice thongs and threw it in the back of his Oldsmoble 88. We would take it to the camp and put it it in the big cooler on the porch. AH Memories

WaterBoyzGal 04-23-2008 06:39 PM

What next?

BK gone! Wait till I tell the kids! I remember how excited they were the first time we let our two boys head over to BK for lunch on the jet ski all by themselves. It served us well many nights...after a full day on the lake in the boat (and an empty cooler) we could grab a quick burger before heading back to shore. Sad to see it go... A closing thought, there was some mention of their having the only BK with docks. Maybe it could be replaced with the first ever in water boat "drive-thru", think of the possibilities...cruise over for coffee, donuts or even subs.

longislander 04-26-2008 06:29 PM

Anyone else hear a rumor of Burger King building across from Mickey D's @ the junction of Rt. 104 and Rt 3 in Meredith?:look:

mg2107 04-26-2008 09:30 PM

Sounds like more condos or another marina in the future for the BK site.

Skipper 04-27-2008 06:42 AM

Why?

The BK was a wonderful destination by boat and will be missed.

Did the business fail or is the land more valuable than the business was?

michael c 04-27-2008 07:19 PM

the Land was

more valuable than the restaurant...especially with all those grandfathered docks there !

cursereversed 05-13-2008 01:46 PM

BK Site

I think a seafood restaurant could do well there...Red Lobster, or better yet a Weathervane. I think the drive thru on the water idea is terrific!

Bigstan 05-14-2008 08:57 AM

Please no, anything but that. No Weathervane or Red Lobster......

Laconia is becoming / has become nothing but chain restaurants. We have a couple good seafood places around, no need to add a mediocre at best chain to the mix.

I would rather see a non-restaurant go in that space, but I cannot imagine what would work. Anything but another chain....

Wolfeboro_Baja 05-14-2008 09:46 AM

I agree!

I have to agree with Bigstan; no more chains! We need more good, local restaurants, not another chain! It would be great to have another restaurant choice that we could reach by boat though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 68155)
Me thinks Waldo Peppers Should pull out of their deal in Gilford and Take that location so we can all get Lobster Rolls by boat and eat them right there on the docks!

Being a trailer boater, I've never been to Waldo's but they sound good! Interesting idea (to have Waldo's move there) but if a successful corporation couldn't handle the rent the landowner wanted, how could a small restaurant owner afford it?

I haven't been to that BK-Paugus in years, primarily because the docks were in such poor condition; I didn't want to have my hull get beaten/scratched to death by those docks.

beancover 05-14-2008 12:33 PM

Another one bites the dust

What is the lure of these chains? I just don't get it. One chain closes (thankfully) and already people are looking to replace it with yet another! This will be our legacy: one empty chain store or restaurant after another. What a testament to bad taste and bad architecture. Be creative, imagine wonderful things happening in our communities, get involved.

fatlazyless 05-14-2008 01:39 PM

What with that 3.55/gallon price digging a hole in everyone's wallet, here's two items for LESS than a gallon of gas.

2.29lb excellent London Broil steaks: EM Heath's supermarket truckload meat sale, Centre Harbor

3.24 Meredith mcmeal at McDonald's

All the money goes to the property tax anyway so who can afford Canoe, let alone Coe House?:D

PennyPenny 05-14-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beancover (Post 70414)
What is the lure of these chains? I just don't get it. One chain closes (thankfully) and already people are looking to replace it with yet another! This will be our legacy: one empty chain store or restaurant after another. What a testament to bad taste and bad architecture. Be creative, imagine wonderful things happening in our communities, get involved.

The lure is the lake and the chance to make money. Prime Commercial Property sitting in front of their nose. A little fixin' up, some permits and money to back it up and something will be happening there. Maybe the city should buy it and make a park and public docks like Meredith.

SIKSUKR 05-15-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyPenny (Post 70428)
Maybe the city should buy it and make a park and public docks like Meredith.

They already have the Weirs public docks and Weirs beach.