Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What to use when restoring teak...Varnish or oil (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16253)

chasedawg 08-02-2013 12:50 PM

What to use when restoring teak...Varnish or oil

I am restoring teak on a old Cape Dory. I would like to know if anyone has had success with teak and what was used. I have read about the pros and cons with varnish and or oil. I have heard good things about Sikkens? cetol? What are your thoughts. Many thanks.

Dave R 08-02-2013 02:21 PM

I don't think you should varnish teak. It should not be coated with anything meant to seal it. Oils are a better bet. None of the oils will last more than a year or two.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-02-2013 04:39 PM

Nothing seems to last more than several seasons unless there is no exposure to sun and water.

upthesaukee 08-02-2013 07:17 PM

Yearly treatment.

My dad had a 77 Thompson Laguna I/O that had teak rails on the bow area. Every year, as part of the launch cleanup of the boat, the rails got a "teak oil" treatment. It was designed to care for the teak, and as I remember it, it was like Thompson Water Seal, but we put it on, and then rubbed off the excess. Teak looked great, year after year, and did not take that much effort.

no-engine 08-03-2013 02:16 PM

I uses to have a Cape Dory 19' Typhoon sail.

I know many who own or have owned boats with teak rails and such.

TEAK OIL definite.

NoBozo 08-03-2013 06:27 PM

All my salt water boats (Sail) had teak handrails and flat coamings under the winches....as well as a teak rail across the coach roof to attach the dodger with snap conectors. I liked the weathered look. Weathered Gray. I tried the "Treatments" a couple of times.

The "Cleaners" are an Acid..and erode the "Soft" wood fibers of the teak. You end up with a very rough surface......kinda like when you pressure wash your deck. The Soft fibers get washed away....leaving the hard fibers standing up in ridges.

If you enjoy the Work.. FIRST: Light sand the teak with 180 grit sandpaper.... Then Rub the teak with Bronze Wool to smooth the wood. The bronze wool will make the teak GLOW....you may decide the oil isn't needed. :look: NB

EDIT: Varnish HAS been used on teak by boat builders. (The Professionals) I wouldn't recommend it for amateurs. Varnish adhesion isn't great on teak because of the natural oils in the teak. Oils repell the varnish.

DRH 08-12-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 209468)
Then Rub the teak with Bronze Wool to smooth the wood. The bronze wool will make the teak GLOW....you may decide the oil isn't needed. :look: NB

Where do you get your bronze wool? None of the hardware stores in Alton, or Lowes in Gilford, carry it.

SIKSUKR 08-12-2013 11:41 AM

West Marine carries it.Try the local marine supply stores.