Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bizer app (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26693)

jeffdawnnh 01-20-2021 05:55 PM

Bizer app

Not a new boater but am looking forward to experiencing the "big lake" for the first time next summer. I'm perusing the forums trying to educate myself. I see a lot of discussion about the Bizer iphone app. Is there a similar app for us Android folks?

Formula260SS 01-20-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffdawnnh (Post 349408)
Not a new boater but am looking forward to experiencing the "big lake" for the first time next summer. I'm perusing the forums trying to educate myself. I see a lot of discussion about the Bizer iphone app. Is there a similar app for us Android folks?

Navionics works with Android

FlyingScot 01-20-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffdawnnh (Post 349408)

Apps are great for route guidance, but to educate yourself you should make sure to get a physical chart as well

Loub52 01-20-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 349410)
Apps are great for route guidance, but to educate yourself you should make sure to get a physical chart as well

Agree. Having the physical chart to compliment an electronic plot is well worth it.

jeffdawnnh 01-20-2021 06:35 PM

I have the Bizer chart and have been studying it. I got the impression that having the chart and an app would be a good start.

Descant 01-20-2021 09:17 PM

2 man job

For newbies, navigation is a two (wo)man job. Give the chart and the iphone to your navigator. The helmsman should have his/her eyes outside the cockpit, not staring down at something trying to figure out "where are we?" or "What's the next buoy?" Mostly, you can go from flasher to flasher on a straight compass/visual heading. Don't get overworked on this. Pick a point on the far shore and head for it until it is time to turn, say at a flasher, turn, pick a new point and move on. Let your navigator guide you. Don't try to do both jobs, regardless of your (male?) ego.

jeffdawnnh 01-20-2021 10:05 PM

Well, I'm not techie enough to install said app let alone use it! The app would be for the navigator aka my wife. I'm probably overthinking this but I have some time on my hands as winter is my slow time and I'm enjoying reading all of your posts about the lake. We have rented a place for a week next summer and plan to bring our pontoon boat and both jet skis up for the week.

Juiced06GTO 01-21-2021 07:41 AM

It is a super fun lake to get to know, especially if you have time to explore during the week when there is less traffic on the lake. I installed a Raymarine Dragonly Pro chartplotter on my boat that runs Navionics. It has a nice big screen and matches up with the Bizer chart well. I tried it on the phone, but the screen was just too small to work. Check out the navionics website, you can view their charts free right online and get to know them!

VitaBene 01-21-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO (Post 349421)
It is a super fun lake to get to know, especially if you have time to explore during the week when there is less traffic on the lake. I installed a Raymarine Dragonly Pro chartplotter on my boat that runs Navionics. It has a nice big screen and matches up with the Bizer chart well. I tried it on the phone, but the screen was just too small to work. Check out the navionics website, you can view their charts free right online and get to know them!

I run a Dragonfly 7 in the Wellcraft BR. Going with a Garmin 942SX or 2 in the Tiara. Phone apps are fine, but the contrast is terrible during the day IMO!

If here for just a week, a chart and the phone app will suit the OP.

rsmlp 01-22-2021 04:04 PM

Spot. On.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 349418)
For newbies, navigation is a two (wo)man job. Give the chart and the iphone to your navigator. The helmsman should have his/her eyes outside the cockpit, not staring down at something trying to figure out "where are we?" or "What's the next buoy?" Mostly, you can go from flasher to flasher on a straight compass/visual heading. Don't get overworked on this. Pick a point on the far shore and head for it until it is time to turn, say at a flasher, turn, pick a new point and move on. Let your navigator guide you. Don't try to do both jobs, regardless of your (male?) ego.

Truer words never written re piloting and navigation.

Scott_Mac 02-09-2021 02:16 PM

Web App

Over the winter you can familiarize yourself some with the lake on the Navionics web app. It's not perfect, but it's good.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@9&key=sudiG~glrL