Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cleaning boats and jetskis (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28362)

Sue Doe-Nym 09-26-2022 08:04 PM

Cleaning boats and jetskis

This information is probably on here somewhere, but I don’t see it. We are about to put the jet skis away for the season, and since we are old and tired…even a bit lazy, we would like something that would clean and even shine them up a bit. They aren’t new, but it would be great to have them look more respectable. TIA for any suggestions.

thinkxingu 09-26-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 376972)
This information is probably on here somewhere, but I don’t see it. We are about to put the jet skis away for the season, and since we are old and tired…even a bit lazy, we would like something that would clean and even shine them up a bit. They aren’t new, but it would be great to have them look more respectable. TIA for any suggestions.

On the plastics, we use SC-1 on the new(er) ski and Back to Black followed by SC-1 on the older.

On the vinyl, we use Aerospace 303.

On hull stains, we use Bar Keeper's Friend followed by SC-1.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

TiltonBB 09-27-2022 06:01 AM

I just use regular liquid car wax on mine. I put it on every year before it goes in the lake. I use NuFinish and it is sold at Walmart.

Sometimes, in my enthusiasm, I get wax on the black trim. It is easy to take off with a toothbrush and a product called "Back to Black"

If you keep it in the water during the season a lot of the waterline stain will come off if you hit it right away with a pressure washer. If that doesn't work an acid based product like "Slimy Grimy" makes it easy.

VitaBene 09-27-2022 09:28 AM

Lake yellow

Is it the yellow brown water staining? If so, as Tilton noted, slimy grimy works. I use Acid magic from Aubachon Moultonborough. Spray on, rinse off in 5 minutes. I do protect the aluminum trailer as Slimy or acid magic will discolor it. I keep an old tarp on hand for it.

SAB1 09-27-2022 08:17 PM

Good advice above. Provided the finish is not oxidized a good wax or polish like NuFinish should be great. I often use a wipe on product like Chemical Guys Boat Hybrid Shine periodically after waxing. It’s a spray on wipe off product that also helps with sun UV. They also have a neat warterless car wash I use period to the hybrid shine if the boat is at the dock and not on trailer.

the Bar keepers friend mentioned above will take off staining but it is an abrasive and not very gel coat friendly.

thinkxingu 09-28-2022 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 377012)
Good advice above. Provided the finish is not oxidized a good wax or polish like NuFinish should be great. I often use a wipe on product like Chemical Guys Boat Hybrid Shine periodically after waxing. It’s a spray on wipe off product that also helps with sun UV. They also have a neat warterless car wash I use period to the hybrid shine if the boat is at the dock and not on trailer.

the Bar keepers friend mentioned above will take off staining but it is an abrasive and not very gel coat friendly.

Good note on the Bar Keeper's Friend—we tried it on a couple spots before using it, and if not pressing hard the gel coat stays intact. Definitely want to be easy with it, though.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Winilyme 09-28-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 376972)

Hmmm…let me get this right. You are old and tired…even a bit lazy”

Yet you ride jet skis and are even getting them ready for another season.

Sue - you aren’t old and tired; you are young of heart.

Sue Doe-Nym 09-29-2022 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We used a boat cleaner which got rid of most of the oxidation….I forget the name of it….but we will use the waxing product tomorrow in hopes of having reasonably presentable jetskis. If that’s the case, I will be sure to post the names of the products. Trying to get one that would accomplish everything didn’t seem possible.

SAB1 09-30-2022 01:37 AM

Correct. A one shot do it all doesn’t exist. If you are able to get the oxidation off I have always used Starbrite Marine Polish on my boat. after 25 yrs it’s still in new condition. http://www.starbrite.com/item/premiu...lish-with-ptef