Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moving Icebergs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27835)

wingnuts 04-01-2022 09:53 PM

Moving Icebergs

Based on tomorrows forecast for NW winds I suspect it's going to be dock damage time as the ice has pulled away from the shores and shifting. I think I can hear the splintering lumber already! No match for circulators!:(

SAB1 04-02-2022 04:38 AM

Circulators are not designed to stop moving ice, just to prevent it from forming. Most year round docks have clusters of piling in front of them to hold the ice back where wind is a factor.

tis 04-02-2022 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnuts (Post 368983)
Based on tomorrows forecast for NW winds I suspect it's going to be dock damage time as the ice has pulled away from the shores and shifting. I think I can hear the splintering lumber already! No match for circulators!:(

That's for sure. In a very calm area, I saw my neighbor's dock crumble like matchsticks from moving ice.

fatlazyless 04-02-2022 05:13 AM

97-mph wind atop Mount Washington right now, reported most windy location in country ... with 7-degrees, freezing fog and light snow .... :eek: ... at this time ... hoo-yuh & hut-hut-hut! ... must be a wee bit c-o-l-d up there .... :D

And ....... Pago Pago, Samoa .... in the south pacific ocean, somewhere between Hawaii and Australia ..... checks in as the warmest U.S.A. location at 83-degrees, right now ..... aloha! .... :banana: .... to Samoa!

chachee52 04-02-2022 06:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnuts (Post 368983)

LSP Big Pier has already been damaged from the ice this past week. I have never seen it get ripped off the cement foundation before, usually if it does get ice damage its the Dimond Island side of the pier just raises up and then settles down after thaw.

webmaster 04-02-2022 08:10 AM

This video from a few years ago shows what happens when the ice breaks free:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5kEHFS1I18Q?start=60" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

steve-on-mark 04-02-2022 10:40 AM

one of the reasons I always hold my breath coming around the back side of Mark for the first time every spring!

nj2nh 04-03-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 368990)
LSP Big Pier has already been damaged from the ice this past week. I have never seen it get ripped off the cement foundation before, usually if it does get ice damage its the Dimond Island side of the pier just raises up and then settles down after thaw.

This looks almost identical to the damage to our dock. In all our years (over 60), I have never seen anything like it.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

John Mercier 04-03-2022 10:37 AM

It did seem to be an unusual winter, and early spring seems windier to me at least.

BoatHouse 04-04-2022 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
South Wolfeboro Bay. Not sure on the exact day this occurred.

dippasan 04-05-2022 12:21 PM

Dock damage

Made it out to Sleepers island Friday night. Arrived to find a 4"x6"post snapped on the end of my crib dock along with damage to the frame. The end of the crib has also shifted approximately 12-18"
Within an hour of our arrival, a huge ice flow came through that would have prevented us from getting to the island. It was gone within a couple of hours.

I noticed 2 of my neighbors sustained damage to their docks as well.

Rough spring for ice damage due to the strong winds.

Descant 04-05-2022 12:46 PM

Transportation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 369107)
Made it out to Sleepers island Friday night. Arrived to find a 4"x6"post snapped on the end of my crib dock along with damage to the frame. The end of the crib has also shifted approximately 12-18"
Within an hour of our arrival, a huge ice flow came through that would have prevented us from getting to the island. It was gone within a couple of hours.

I noticed 2 of my neighbors sustained damage to their docks as well.

Rough spring for ice damage due to the strong winds.

Sorry to hear about the dock damage. It should all be history in a few days.

How did you get to/from the island?

dippasan 04-06-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 369108)
Sorry to hear about the dock damage. It should all be history in a few days.

How did you get to/from the island?

Hitched a ride on a friends pontoon boat from Ames.