Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Dive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27011)

LikeLakes 06-22-2021 05:06 PM

I'd like to announce my plan for next year. Based on learning from The Dive's mistakes, I'm building a blimp based restaurant/bar. It will float 20 ft. off the water, making it immune to state boating and safety regs, we'll fly it to some farmer's rented field at off hours eliminating docking problems. We're going to work out a contract with ESA to fly patrons to it where they will climb up a rope ladder to the dining room and bar. Future upgrades will be an escalator that lowers to water level. For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp.

And after careful thought and enlisting the best design teams in the area, I've decided to paint it yellow. ;)

FlyingScot 06-22-2021 05:10 PM

LI and LL--agreed. One thing I'd add you that you both reference--another difference is that certain businesses, such as the ice cream boat and The Mount, may get more sympathy because of their aesthetic appeal. Whether that's fair may be debatable, but it is human nature

LikeLakes 06-22-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 357476)
LI and LL--agreed. One thing I'd add you that you both reference--another difference is that certain businesses, such as the ice cream boat and The Mount, may get more sympathy because of their aesthetic appeal. Whether that's fair may be debatable, but it is human nature

Honestly, I think there is no question your point has much to do with it. Not much appeal to a rectangular barge that has difficulty moving.

Jersey Bob 06-22-2021 06:38 PM

Blimp

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLakes (Post 357475)
I'd like to announce my plan for next year. Based on learning from The Dive's mistakes, I'm building a blimp based restaurant/bar. It will float 20 ft. off the water, making it immune to state boating and safety regs, we'll fly it to some farmer's rented field at off hours eliminating docking problems. We're going to work out a contract with ESA to fly patrons to it where they will climb up a rope ladder to the dining room and bar. Future upgrades will be an escalator that lowers to water level. For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp.

And after careful thought and enlisting the best design teams in the area, I've decided to paint it yellow. ;)

Brilliant!

LIforrelaxin 06-23-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLakes (Post 357474)
And it seems to me like the most likely viable partnering option for the "move around the lake" model might have been the Mount Washington. Share dock space somehow. No idea if it could have worked or not, just a thought.

So if you look at the new boat that the Cruse NH just bought and out fitted, it seems to be their answer to "The Dive".. I had a chance to look at it the other day tied up at the Wiers.. it is outfitted to be just what the dive is, a floating Bar..... So I don't think the Dive and Cruise NH getting into any type of agreement is likely....

That is just my personal opinion of course........ However that kind of partner ship, is exactly what the Dive needs...

codeman671 06-23-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 357470)
Actually the biggest point in the story of the Dive, is that you really need to fully vet your idea, before sinking Hundred of thousands of dollars into a venture. The dive since the beginning has believed that the only permitting they needed to worry about was from the State, because they would be sitting on top of the State owned property. And from a health and safety code stand point that is entirely correct.

What they failed to recognized, and continue to step into every time they turn around is the fact, that as soon, as the tie to a dock, which is connected to land controlled by the town, they also face additional jurisdiction and regulations. Every time I have seen the Dive have issues, it is with the towns, to my knowledge they have not had any issue with the state. The towns can control their town docks anyway they want. The towns can regulate business that operate with in their boundaries anyway they want. And once a Boat is tied to a dock, which is tied to the land that belongs to the town, the town gains jurisdiction over the business activities.

In the past there have been other water bound business on less of a scale, boats selling ice cream, boats selling burgers and dogs... No issues why? because they never operated while dock side, they never needed access to have holding tanks pumped....or be gassed up, beyond what could easily be done just like any other boat....

At the end of the day, the DIVE is struggling because of the scale of the endeavor, and because of the ignorance of the owners... I had honestly wanted to see them succeed..... But they keep falling into the same situation summer after summer..... If they have actually come out of the Red I would truly be surprised.... Do I think they could succeed, Yes but they need to find a land based partner that has water access, in a commercial setting, that will allow them to function, both tied up, and underway. And then before jumping into action and operations with that partner, clear the plan with the town... The problem is that partnership is going to require the dive to buy into that business, or that business to buy into the Dive....

Alright enough already, FLL you must have some more witty comments you can make...

Why did they pull out of the deal at the Weirs public docks? They fought hard for it and got what they wanted. I haven't followed this closely, but was surprised to hear that they walked. Probably more to the story than I have heard.

LIforrelaxin 06-23-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 357503)
Why did they pull out of the deal at the Weirs public docks? They fought hard for it and got what they wanted. I haven't followed this closely, but was surprised to hear that they walked. Probably more to the story than I have heard.

What I know, which isn't a lot, was that when they realized what the upgrades to the public dock where going to cost Them ("The Dive").... THey realized the ROI, wasn't going to be there....

To my understanding the town was agreeable to them using the public dock, but the DIVE was going to have to finance the agreed upon improvments needed.....Like everything else in the DIVE past, they didn't seem to have clue as to what those improvements where going to cost them, and when they found out argued with the town over who should be responsible for paying for what.....

wentworthwhitbreadIII 06-28-2021 01:24 PM

Lost at Sea?

Is that The Dive that's pushed up against the East side of Paugus Ba off Weirs Blvd that everyone is talking about? It doesn't look to be docked, but more like it's shipwrecked.

joey2665 06-28-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII (Post 357707)
Is that The Dive that's pushed up against the East side of Paugus Ba off Weirs Blvd that everyone is talking about? It doesn't look to be docked, but more like it's shipwrecked.

It’s been docked there for a while and recently repainted

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mr. V 06-28-2021 02:35 PM

I guess I don't understand why the owners of the dive are having all this trouble.

Didn't they "do their homework" and get up to speed on all the laws and regulations?

Are they undercapitalized?

fatlazyless 07-05-2021 08:36 AM

So, click onto The Dive's facebook page, and the first post says:

July 5th - Opening Day .... finally!
Live Turquoise Willie on our new, Dive Stage!
See you all very soon!
Turquoise Willie (clickable link)

Today is July 5 and this post seems to announce The Dive is holding an event with live music but it does not give any location? So, what the heck is happening?

LikeLakes 07-05-2021 09:56 AM

Clearly if they wanted you there, they would have told you where the ship was. :)

Glad to hear they can finally get the business going.

SAMIAM 07-06-2021 06:29 AM

Turquoise Willie is not bad at all.......good blues

magicrobotmonkey 07-06-2021 08:40 AM

They were at the Margate sandbar in Paugus Bay yesterday.

brk-lnt 07-06-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLakes (Post 357475)

You should plan to add an option for skydiving from your blimp. From what I hear, it is super easy to setup a local skydiving operation and the FAA will help you out with whatever you need.

garysanfran 07-06-2021 09:19 AM

Blimp...

"For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp".

And enjoy the yellow rain?

wentworthwhitbreadIII 07-07-2021 10:42 AM

Anyone know where the Dive is pumping their holding tanks?

joey2665 07-07-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII (Post 358097)
Anyone know where the Dive is pumping their holding tanks?

Does it really matter as long as they’re doing it legally?

wentworthwhitbreadIII 07-07-2021 12:17 PM

I was hoping to squelch the rumors out there with some facts. Some nitwit at another beach bar on PB was showing a video he claimed was gray water from the Dive. I couldn't less about the Dive as most of their issues appear to have been self-made, but I also don't think d-bags should be spreading unfounded lies about them.

TiltonBB 07-07-2021 05:07 PM

I have seen them in Meredith at the public pump out stations several times. That may not be the only place they pump out but I know that is one that they use.

I am sure with the food facilities onboard and all the inspections they have had they are fine.

Despite what some people may post, the owners are decent people who have invested a lot of their own time and money to bring something different to the lake.

I would rather have the Dive go by my house 10 times than have one of those make a wake loud stereo boats set up out front and entertain everyone within 2 miles for an hour.

joey2665 07-07-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 358106)
I have seen them in Meredith at the public pump out stations several times. That may not be the only place they pump out but I know that is one that they use.

I am sure with the food facilities onboard and all the inspections they have had they are fine.

Despite what some people may post, the owners are decent people who have invested a lot of their own time and money to bring something different to the lake.

I would rather have the Dive go by my house 10 times than have one of those make a wake loud stereo boats set up out front and entertain everyone within 2 miles for an hour.

The Dive is constantly trashed here but as we all know there are two sides to every story.

Also it may be something I visit only once a season I can tell you that when you see it out it is always packed and people are having a blast. After all isn’t that what it’s about.

FlyingScot 07-08-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 358107)
The Dive is constantly trashed here but as we all know there are two sides to every story.

Also it may be something I visit only once a season I can tell you that when you see it out it is always packed and people are having a blast. After all isn’t that what it’s about.

Actually, I think there is 100% agreement on The Dive:

I have never heard the detractors disparage the drinks or service--so I think we all accept that it's a fun place to go for a drink.

I have never heard it's supporters dispute the notion that it is an eyesore, and in a recent thread an earsore--so I think we all accept that it's ugly and overbearing.

These things can be true simultaneously

AC2717 07-08-2021 12:27 PM

I, don't think it is ugly and I appauld the business venture. I think it is a great idea, and I do not mind it in my backyard, but what I would mind is it blaring music, if it were (first example was this July 4th) everytime it is there

thinkxingu 07-08-2021 02:04 PM

I don't care how it looks or what it offers or who enjoys it or how much money the owners have spent or any of that crap—private businesses should NOT be able to affect the quality or nature of public property.

It's the same reason I have an issue with the seaplane (potentially) monopolizing the Pier 19 dock and why I'd snap if I found a kite sales counter on the Valley Way trail to capitalize on Elsa's approach!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 07-08-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 358138)
I, don't think it is ugly and I appauld the business venture. I think it is a great idea, and I do not mind it in my backyard, but what I would mind is it blaring music, if it were (first example was this July 4th) everytime it is there

When you say you're happy to have it in your backyard, but not happy with the music, you seem to be splitting hairs. I don't think you should feel badly about others calling you a NIMBY. Whether it's the view or the music, would anyone really want this thing in their backyard?

Mr. V 07-08-2021 07:43 PM

Couldn't they perhaps work out something with a marina, e.g. West Alton or Minge cove, to allow them to moor there when not in actio

thinkxingu 07-09-2021 03:20 PM

The Dive just drove by us while we were grabbing ice cream at Liliuokalani's, and I wish to update my opinion: in addition to profiting off public property, it's an eyesore, and I wouldn't want it near me.

LikeLakes 07-09-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 358242)
The Dive just drove by us while we were grabbing ice cream at Liliuokalani's, and I wish to update my opinion: in addition to profiting off public property, it's an eyesore, and I wouldn't want it near me.

That must have been a close call, you can get sucked in by the Dive vortex if too close, many have disappeared only to be found later clinging to one of the Evinrude's.

I've never seen a single object on the lake produce as much conversation and controversy, it's really interesting.

joey2665 07-09-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLakes (Post 358244)
That must have been a close call, you can get sucked in by the Dive vortex if too close, many have disappeared only to be found later clinging to one of the Evinrude's.

I've never seen a single object on the lake produce as much conversation and controversy, it's really interesting.

I can name 2. Speed limit and the Erica incident. [emoji15]

Biggd 07-09-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLakes (Post 358244)

Yes, it has caused quite a stir, no pun intended.
I guess if it really bothers property owners that much then now is a prime time to sell and move on to a quieter lake.

NH.Solar 07-09-2021 05:56 PM

I think the Dive should moor on the deep side of the T'boro dock at 19 Mile Bay. That way clients could choose to go left to get high at the Dive, or right to get high with Epic...

sum-r breeze 07-11-2021 06:52 PM

The Dive on Saturday 7/10

We went to the Paugus Bay sandbar specifically because The Dive was going to be there. I can’t even begin to tell you how great a time we had with Betsy and Jamie. It’s a rare thing in today’s world where the owners of a business are on site every time it’s in operation. Both were there and were absolutely the most friendly and welcoming of any Bar / Restaurant I’ve been to in the Lakes Region. We had drinks, appetizers and lunch. We met people who were friends of the owners and they invited us to a land based party later in the evening. We didn’t attend but once again….met some awesome people had some great food and genuinely had a great time. So the enormous amount of support by The Dive patrons that I saw while on board should be the real “litmus” test as to whether they should be on the Lake and doing their thing. NOT the small handful of detractors constantly complaining about them.

The Breeze (aka Paulie)

joey2665 07-11-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sum-r breeze (Post 358328)
We went to the Paugus Bay sandbar specifically because The Dive was going to be there. I can’t even begin to tell you how great a time we had with Betsy and Jamie. It’s a rare thing in today’s world where the owners of a business are on site every time it’s in operation. Both were there and were absolutely the most friendly and welcoming of any Bar / Restaurant I’ve been to in the Lakes Region. We had drinks, appetizers and lunch. We met people who were friends of the owners and they invited us to a land based party later in the evening. We didn’t attend but once again….met some awesome people had some great food and genuinely had a great time. So the enormous amount of support by The Dive patrons that I saw while on board should be the real “litmus” test as to whether they should be on the Lake and doing their thing. NOT the small handful of detractors constantly complaining about them.

The Breeze (aka Paulie)

Awesome post Paulie. People seem to have a great time and I hope they continue to be busy and become a successful business in the lakes region. The small amount of detractors here have will have little influence on its future.

Descant 07-11-2021 09:27 PM

Great to hear

Quote:

The Breeze (aka Paulie)

Great positive post. Thanks for a full review.

John Mercier 07-11-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 358329)
Awesome post Paulie. People seem to have a great time and I hope they continue to be busy and become a successful business in the lakes region. The small amount of detractors here have will have little influence on its future.

These types of things usually run into enough drama that they get snuffed.

thinkxingu 07-12-2021 04:43 AM

Quote:

The Breeze (aka Paulie)

By this rationale, McDonald's could set up a restaurant in the Wolfeboro public parking lot if enough people liked it? Or Epic could set up a seaplane operation at the Pier 19 public docks?

That a commercial business using public resources to profit is ok as long as it passes the "litmus test" of enough people liking it?

As I've said in the past, as long as The Dive keeps moving, it's less of a problem. The moment it monopolizes one public space, however, it should be rejected—for every one of you who "seeks it out," there's just as many or more who seek to avoid it.

TomF 07-12-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 358344)
By this rationale, McDonald's could set up a restaurant in the Wolfeboro public parking lot if enough people liked it? Or Epic could set up a seaplane operation at the Pier 19 public docks?

That a commercial business using public resources to profit is ok as long as it passes the "litmus test" of enough people liking it?

As I've said in the past, as long as The Dive keeps moving, it's less of a problem. The moment it monopolizes one public space, however, it should be rejected—for every one of you who "seeks it out," there's just as many or more who seek to avoid it.

So is it anchored there overnight and all trough the week or does it move there every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey2665 07-12-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomF (Post 358349)
So is it anchored there overnight and all trough the week or does it move there every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a dock on Paugus it returns to at the end on the day. You are not allowed to anchor on the water overnight on Winnipesaukee

Seaplane Pilot 07-12-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 358344)

I don't understand your position against "...commercial business using public resources to profit....."

Every marina on this lake uses public resources to profit. Every charter boat (including Mt. Washington and its sister vessels) uses public resources to profit. The NASWA, Church Landing, Town Docks and every other restaurant with private docks use public resources to profit. Why is it ok for some, but not ok for others?

fatlazyless 07-12-2021 09:25 AM

... is open carry okay onboard The Dive?

Just wondering here ...... it's become a somewhat regular occurrence for me to see other shoppers, always men, in the Plymouth Market Basket who are dressed in various informal clothing and have a black semi-auto hand gun either in a holster or inside their belt with the handlle showing. Apparently this is okay to do at Market Basket but is not allowed at Walmart and you never see it at Walmart.

Question to you: As a patron of The Dive would you be okay with another Dive patron openly, in plain sight, wearing a holstered black semi-auto hand gun while eating and drinking onboard The Dive?

Maybe I should start a new thread on this just cause it will give me something to do, here!

If it is accepted and okay at Market Basket-Plymouth NH, do you think it would be accepted and okay onboard The Dive, in your opinion, if you were a patron there at the time?