Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Home Security Camera Issues - Help (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28392)

bigdog 10-14-2022 12:21 PM

Home Security Camera Issues - Help

I'm having issues with my home security cameras.
Cameras are made by Reolink.

I've had these cameras for a couple years and work flawlessly managing with my mobile phone, however, issues began when I upgraded my phone to a new T-Mobile Revvl 6 Pro, which runs at 5G.

I think the issue is that the cameras are not adaptable to the 5G technology.
Old phone was T-Mobile but ran 4G.

Do any Forum member have Reolink cameras and having similar issues ?

brk-lnt 10-15-2022 08:25 AM

5G really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I assume you are remote and trying to access the cameras, and not at the same location as the cameras?

granitebox 10-15-2022 09:36 AM

I would agree in the comment that 5G should not impact the connection to the devices - that's more of an app/software issue vs the speed at which your phone is able to operate.

If its a new phone the first thing I would check is to make sure the phone itself is up to date with the latest version of Android. Then make sure the app itself is up to date. Those are the easy things to check.

Then check 1) connect while on the wifi network as the cameras (if you can) and 2) connect while the phone is NOT on the wifi network as the cameras.

This is only going to help narrow down the problem and not necessarily fix it. but hopefully its a start

ITD 10-15-2022 02:29 PM

You should call T mobile. I have an Ipad with cell service that I use for flying. It worked great until they started updating cells to 5G. Now it's spotty at best. Time to buy one with 5G. There may be an update you can do to the cameras that might help.

bobkatfly 10-16-2022 11:18 AM

Are your cameras running off your home WiFi? If so, one other thing to look at is if all devices are picking up the frequency band they need, i.e. 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. Most newer devices will automatically pickup the correct band but it's worthwhile and easy to check. How old is you router?

bigdog 10-18-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 377562)
Are your cameras running off your home WiFi? If so, one other thing to look at is if all devices are picking up the frequency band they need, i.e. 2.4 or 5.0 GHz. Most newer devices will automatically pickup the correct band but it's worthwhile and easy to check. How old is you router?

Router is about 2 yrs old.
Cameras I suspect are probably working fine, the issue is I cannot monitor cameras from my new T-Mobile (REVVL 6 Pro) phone using the Reolink application installed on my phone. I've un-installed the Appl and re-installed several time without success.

brk-lnt 10-18-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 377611)
Cameras I suspect are probably working fine, the issue is I cannot monitor cameras from my new T-Mobile (REVVL 6 Pro) phone using the Reolink application installed on my phone. I've un-installed the Appl and re-installed several time without success.

Put your phone in airplane mode and just use the wifi. If it still doesn't work, then it's the app, not the 5G phone network.

ITD 10-18-2022 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 377611)

Ah, I thought the cameras were 4G over cellular. I have 5G Samsung 21 ultra with the normal 5G service. It's actually slower than my old 4G phone IMO, especially when I am in a congested cellular area. Of course, I have the "standard" 5G service, not the enhanced higher speed service.

You might want to send Reolink a note.

TheProfessor 10-18-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 377542)
I think the issue is that the cameras are not adaptable to the 5G technology.
Old phone was T-Mobile but ran 4G.

1. Try a different phone. Spouse, relative, neighbor, or friend. Put the app on a different phone.

2. 5G is not available in many areas here.

The Real BigGuy 10-19-2022 01:17 PM

Most 5G phones should automatically kick down to 4G if 5G isn’t available. Again, unless your cameras are broadcasting to cellular (you can buy them but they are expensive) your 5G cellular is not the problem. Have you checked your wireless network to see if they are connected? Unless the camera’s are wireless and relatively new they probably broadcast on 2.4GH band. Every time I move my Nest Cam from the lake to home I have to go into the router and turn off the SON (self organizing network) because the cam recognizes the router as 5Gh and won’t connect. I then connect the cam to the 2.4Gh network the turn the SON back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app